View Full Version : Performance Awards

60pan
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM
The good shit
:siesta:

Bird Song March 16 1990

Sully
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Some people have no life, therefore try to be perfect a$$hole reporting citizens (cuz they never, ever break the law :roll: ) to make other people's lives miserable. I don't think the 5-0 come knockin' at your door until you have someting like 3 complaints (?).. which I think it's total BS.. it could be someone who has it out for you and just making crap up... who knows...

Sean
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I don't think they can actually ticket you for anything because someone else reports it, can they? They might keep an eye out for you, but that's it.

I remember sitting in Oscar Blues, eating a buger, after a fairly spirited run down hwy 7. A cop came in to yell at us because someone had called us in. The only reason he knew it was us, was because someone had a unique backpack that the caller could identify. He didn't/couldn't do anything, he hadn't seen it.

bornwildnfree
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
A citizen can give you a ticket. If they take down all your info and go to the police station and request that a ticket be given and delivered. The cops have to write the ticket but if they don't show up in court it's thrown out. It's how I got my first ticket.

ghostrider_9
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM
A citizen can give you a ticket. If they take down all your info and go to the police station and request that a ticket be given and delivered. The cops have to write the ticket but if they don't show up in court it's thrown out. It's how I got my first ticket.

There is no way that would ever stand up in court. His\her word against yours. They would have to overcome the burden of proof.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I would think it would be like the red light tickets, you'd have to be personally served the ticket in order for it to stand.

spideyrdr
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hopefully it wasn't an off-duty cop. That video of the dude who got a gun pulled on him by an amped up off-duty cop still disturbs me. Some guy comes at you with a gun drawn over a traffic issue - that's a good way to spoil your day AND a pair of underwear.

Can you describe the guy / car at all so others can watch out for a possible road rager?

CaneZach
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 03:15 PM
If the citizen signs a traffic complaint, the officer CAN issue a citation. In court, the officer merely says he issued a citation to Mr. X and the complaining citizen is the one to testify as to the driving actions. If the complaining citizen isn't willing to go to court, the officer won't issue a citation.

Sean
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM
If the citizen signs a traffic complaint, the officer CAN issue a citation. In court, the officer merely says he issued a citation to Mr. X and the complaining citizen is the one to testify as to the driving actions. If the complaining citizen isn't willing to go to court, the officer won't issue a citation.Good to know. Thanks.

ghostrider_9
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 03:29 PM
If the citizen signs a traffic complaint, the officer CAN issue a citation. In court, the officer merely says he issued a citation to Mr. X and the complaining citizen is the one to testify as to the driving actions. If the complaining citizen isn't willing to go to court, the officer won't issue a citation.

It is still a he said - she said issue. Without having proof the entire thing would be unsubstantiated. There is no way that you a person could be found guilty of a ticket just because John Q. Citizen said he\she did something.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 05:56 PM
It is still a he said - she said issue. Without having proof the entire thing would be unsubstantiated. There is no way that you a person could be found guilty of a ticket just because John Q. Citizen said he\she did something.

Actually, most of the ones I've seen go to court have been found guilty.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Really? So, I can just go around citing people, and as long as I'm more convincing in court (I do pretty well actually....too much time in divorce court!) than the defendant, I win? Wow, interesting.

CaneZach
Thu Jun 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Really? So, I can just go around citing people, and as long as I'm more convincing in court (I do pretty well actually....too much time in divorce court!) than the defendant, I win? Wow, interesting.

Pretty much, but you'll be testifying before the judge. Most of them are pretty good at seeing through BS, so it's not like you'll be able to make stuff up.

Other than the willingness to go to court what does a person need to make this happen? I promise not to rat on my wife, although I have called #CSP from inside the car. She's a menace.

Well, the actions have to endanger others. Don't call in for something petty, like, "Hey, that guy's plates are expired. I'm calling 911!!!" Also, if its just one thing, like someone cut you off one time, we're probably not going to bother looking for the violator. When I was in patrol, the only time I would actively look for the violator is if they had some pretty egregious, aggressive driving actions, like weaving in and out of traffic, following too closely, and some other douche action. We get about a dozen complaint calls an hour, but I'd say about 99% of the calls are just stupid shit from some butthurt driver who wanted to whine.

sfarson
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM

Happened to a friend of mine while we were riding together on the P2P. It was a cold, rainy day and I made a safe/dashed line pass of a Ford Expedition. Carolyn, who was riding behind me decided to make the pass too, and with an approaching curve had to squeeze in between me and the Expedition. On the way to lunch at Nederland I noted the Expedition on Carolyn's rear end, just feet behind her, on the cold, rain swept surface. While having lunch I noticed Boulder County Sheriff officers looking at our bikes. Then a State Trooper showed. Then he came inside and asked if they were our bikes. Guess the Expedition driver didn't like Carolyn's pass and wanted to press charges. The Trooper was amiable, but wrote the ticket. I noticed the Expedition was there too. I learned later from Carolyn she had to pay up at court... $fine/points.

IMO, this was a driver who simply didn't want to be passed. They exist. Oh, I bet they expressed to the Trooper how Carolyn's actions were unsafe. What the hypocrite probably didn't mention, and I wish I had, was how they rode just a few feet off Carolyn's rear for miles on a cold, slippery road. They weren't really interested in "safety", but motivated by some kind of payback to motorcyclists or for being passed.

Vellos
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 01:20 AM
I had a Prius move halfway into my lane on the highway right in front of me and just sit there. So I got annoyed because she cut me off and then couldn't commit to the merge even after I had slowed down so I braaped it around her on the right. Then she follows me to the store I was going to and yells at me as I was dismounting in a parking spot. I just ignored her and went into the store so she decides to call the police and try to box in my motorcycle with her car. When I got out I just squeaked between the cars in front of me and that was that.

Moral of the story: stupid people are stupid.

Sarge
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
Some people have no life, therefore try to be perfect a$$hole reporting citizens (cuz they never, ever break the law :roll: ) to make other people's lives miserable. I don't think the 5-0 come knockin' at your door until you have someting like 3 complaints (?).. which I think it's total BS.. it could be someone who has it out for you and just making crap up... who knows...

Yeah, I don't think they can actually ticket you for anything because someone else reports it, can they? They might keep an eye out for you, but that's it.

I remember sitting in Oscar Blues, eating a buger, after a fairly spirited run down hwy 7. A cop came in to yell at us because someone had called us in. The only reason he knew it was us, was because someone had a unique backpack that the caller could identify. He didn't/couldn't do anything, he hadn't seen it.

There is no way that would ever stand up in court. His\her word against yours. They would have to overcome the burden of proof.

I would think it would be like the red light tickets, you'd have to be personally served the ticket in order for it to stand.

In response to all of this, I actually did this like three weeks ago. I was in my wife's car, with her and my 14 month old son in the back seat. We were on our way to the Circus and on our way decided to stop at McDonald's off of Circle. Anyway, I was getting ready to make a left hand turn, waiting on oncoming traffic to turn into the parking lot in front of me. Just as soon as it was clear and I started to move, this asshole in a minivan TWO CARS behind me, waiting in line, cuts out into the OPPOSING lane of traffic to pass me on the left, cuts me off and nearly side swipes me and flies into the parking lot. I was flippin pissed. I followed him inside, and he was some mid-40 something prick screaming and yelling at HIS kids who were in the car, one of them even an infant.

Anyway, I got his license plate number and a good description of him and then I went down to the police station, very calmly filed a complaint, the Officer called this person, explained things, person got irate with the officer, tried to file a reverse complaint, officer refused to take it. (Guy was saying I was "obstructing traffic", but only AFTER he knew I filed a complaint). Officer explained to me that this happens all the time, and 90% of the time the complaints stick, and 90% of the time the COUNTER complaints get dropped. He referenced an example of a Hardly rider, covered in tats and leather, who successfully filed a complaint against a cager who almost ran him over, and successfully defended himself against the counter complaint that he made an illegal lane change.

Anyway, all said and done, the officer met him in person and issued a citation for Careless Driving. The person now has to go to court and in the event he pleads not guilty, I'll be called in to testify instead of a police officer.

Usually, I fully agree with most of you here, and I deal with getting half run over almost 10x a day and just blow it off, but this asshole who pulled this was so god damn blatant about it that I just couldn't stand it. He even said to the officer on the phone "Well, I was in a damn hurry and he was going too slow, I had to get my kids fed and then to swimming practice, etc..." God damn soccer moms.

/rant

*edit*

The officer also informed me that this genius had just received a speeding ticket not three weeks before. and my record is clean for years.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
I remember sitting in Oscar Blues, eating a buger, that's disgusting...and to think i wanted to go riding w/ you :lol: sorry nothing more to add