PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CO

Mezzanine
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hiya,

I'm moving from Illinois to Colorado within a few weeks. I've been riding with a trackday org here called NESBA and was wondering if there was something equivalent to that in the area. I only ride track so I that's why I posted here :)
I saw that there is HPR not too far from Denver and I'm guessing that's the only track within a couple hours from Colorado Springs?
Anyways mostly just wanted to say hi and see if anyone had any info/advice on riding in CO.

Thanks,
Mezz

SOCAL4LIFE!!
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 09:40 PM
Check out mra-racing.org

There is also PPIR and Pueblo within a short jont from the Springs. HRP is probably the furthers event from the Springs if memory serves me right.

Oh and welcome (soon) to CO

Mezzanine
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM
Thank social! 3 tracks within 2 hours of the Springs, I think I'm going to like it there :)

RCStylin'
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thank social! 3 tracks within 2 hours of the Springs, I think I'm going to like it there :)

Except for the altitude! 17% less oxygen density up here. If you bike is carbed, change the jets first thing for 5000-7000 feet range.

Welcome to CO!

Graphite675
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM
Welcome.
Yes there are 3 tracks within less then a 2 hour drive of Colorado Springs. HPR, PPIR, and PMP. I moved out here 2 years ago from Florida where I had to drive about 4 hours to the track so living here has been a treat.

Mezzanine
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Except for the altitude! 17% less oxygen density up here. If you bike is carbed, change the jets first thing for 5000-7000 feet range.

Welcome to CO!

Thanks, didn't think about the altitude but luckily no carbs for me.

What do you guys think of each of these tracks? Are they more car oriented? Is there air fence or are there tires lining the run-off?

longrider
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
If you are used to NESBA trackdays you need to know the only thing similar to that here is the events put on by Chicane which are only once or twice a year. The rest of the days are lapping days put on by the track, while you do have the basics of cornerworkers and medics the rest of it is just come out and ride. No control riders, no instructors, etc. Don't take this wrong, lapping days are a blast but if you are used to the control of an organized trackday it cat take a little getting used to.

longrider
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks, didn't think about the altitude but luckily no carbs for me.

What do you guys think of each of these tracks? Are they more car oriented? Is there air fence or are there tires lining the run-off?

No air fence, HPR has plenty of tire walls, PMP has tires where there is something to hit but in most areas there is just lots of empty land to run across. PPIR is a different story, there are concrete walls and the only time you have air fence is on MRA race days

Drift
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM

What track is not car oriented? We do not have air fences...depending on which corner you are in...the runoff is Kansas...or the Rocky Mountains.

HPR - High Plains Raceway, is the newest of the tracks. It just opened up a couple of years ago. www.highplainsraceway.com

PPIR - Pikes Peak International Raceway, I think of this as a little Daytona...oval with an infield course. www.ppir.com

PMP - Pueblo Motorsports Park, one side is straight and fast...the other side has the corners. www.pueblomotorsportspark.com

There is also a cart track that is about a mile in length, just north of Denver...so counting that, there are 4 tracks which can be ridden within about 2 hours of the Springs.

Welcome (soon) to Colorado.

Ciao,
Drift

Mezzanine
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks, all the info is really appreciated.

Cornfed
Fri Jul 1st, 2011, 11:10 PM
Moved out here from Iowa about a year ago and ran with Nesba back home. Havent had a chance to do a track day yet but trust me, your going to love it out here.

Graphite675
Sat Jul 2nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
As said, there is a lack of "organized" track days here (even fewer the there was 2 years ago when I moved here). Chicane puts on a great day but Scott was only able to secure 1 day this season (so far) and that was last weekend. There are lots of open days at HPR but there are just not as much fun and as organized as a Chicane day.

PPIR is a stadium type track (like Daytona) with banking and infield turns. But for the most part there are no track days there just races. They do have the occasional day but you usually need to have a race license to ride there.There are plans in place to greatly expand PPIR, I just don't know when it will actually happen.

PMP hasn't had any track days this year so far but are having one this Friday prior to this weekends race. Fun track but it is rough and the long straight is part of the drag strip.
They did secure some money and are going to be re-surfacing the track this winter so hopefully we will see more days there next year.

HPR is by far the best track in the area, lot's of elevation changes and a great surface. My only complaint is that it's half way to Kansas (not really just seems like it) out in the middle of nowhere. Not a big deal, just seems like its a long way away.

IMI. I have never ridden but it's a cart track. Don't know how much fun I would have on it. I don't think bikes are getting much over 3rd gear there and I heard it's really tight. But like I said, never been there (not my cup of tea).

In all honesty if you really want track time out here your best bet is to come out and race with the MRA. We are racing almost every other weekend at all the tracks here. Great group of people and lot's of fun.
They have a great program called Super Street which you can try out. It involves classroom instruction and track time during the race weekends. After 2 Superstreet races you can earn your race license and you can enter any of the Novice races after that.

I'm here in the Springs so if you have any questions or need some help finding your way around hit me up.

JP

fiveninerzero
Sat Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
If you want to focus on track riding, I would stay where you are. NESBA or STT do not come out here. MRA is cool, but it is very small and it seems like they have their own thing going on most of the time. I used to ride with NESBA and STT, and I also had a WERA Novice license that just lapsed, although I almost never entered races. I just used my license to get into the practice sessions and tracks all over the east coast. I am used to being within an 8 hour drive of 12 different tracks back when I lived in SC, that is not the case here. I would die if I rode track only living out here, your options are just that limited. Add that to the horrible asphalt conditions and limited riding season due to weather, and you have the fabulous place called Colorado.

I suggest you take up skiing or something like that to keep yourself occupied when you are not riding.

Kitten
Sat Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
The tracks here are fun to ride! Riding is what you make of it. You have other tracks within 8 hours of here too. One is a very small, not so great track called Miller (sarcasm)...HPR is one of the best tracks that I've ridden though. Chicane is definitely a very well run organization (top notch), however HPR runs a very safe open lapping day as well. In terms of riding season, it really isn't that bad. You can ride most of the year, you just have to pick your days.

BadR6Man
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Im from VA and was used to having at least 3 weekends a month available for track days. Yeah no NESBA out here and sponsored track days are few. Chicane is the best org that I've ridden with here The open lapping days are pretty reasonable priced though.

fiveninerzero
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Im from VA and was used to having at least 3 weekends a month available for track days. Yeah no NESBA out here and sponsored track days are few. Chicane is the best org that I've ridden with here The open lapping days are pretty reasonable priced though.

Love VIR

fiveninerzero
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
You have other tracks within 8 hours of here too. One is a very small, not so great track called Miller (sarcasm)...

More like 10 hours. I would let you know after Tuesday's trip out there, but I'm actually flying. :D

Mezzanine
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Made the move to the Springs but had to leave the bike behind as we have no garage space yet. Hopefully next season I'll be able to get some saddle time.

Ghost
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Made the move to the Springs but had to leave the bike behind as we have no garage space yet. Hopefully next season I'll be able to get some saddle time.

What tracks are reasonably close to Chicago? I might be out there by September.

Mosport in Toronto is one of my favorite tracks of all time but that's got to be over 10 hrs from Chicago...

Mezzanine
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Road America - Elkhart Lake, WI
Blackhawk Farms - South Beloit, IL
Gingerman Raceway - South Haven, MI
Putnam Park - Mount Meridian, IN

Road A and Putnam are my favorite.