PDA

View Full Version : Any motorcycle sales people out there? Looking for work...

RajunCajun
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Motorcycles turn me on more than anything, except my girl. Soooo, I figure that my passion for bikes and my great people skills would help make me a decent motorcycle salesman. I have some sales experience but I'd like some advise from those that have done it or know someone who is selling bikes now. Thanks!!

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've been successful at VW and Ford sales but couldn't do it as a career. It takes a special kind of personality to make a living at it long term. Good luck! I need a 600 soon...

Ghost
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
It's not fun, it's not glamorous, it doesn't pay well, you'll never have a Saturday off, and in the winter food stamps will look appealing.

Other than that, have fun & good luck!

PhL0aTeR
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Motorcycles turn me on more than anything, except my girl. Soooo, I figure that my passion for bikes and my great people skills would help make me a decent motorcycle salesman. I have some sales experience but I'd like some advise from those that have done it or know someone who is selling bikes now. Thanks!!

Try your luck at selling this one. http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/2473533007.html if you are a success I'll give you $100

RajunCajun
Sun Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
LOL! Wow, I can't wait to get started! I'm thinking of something part time or even full time right now, but not for a career.

McLovin
Sun Jul 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM
taking into account all motorcycle dealers, suppliers, service, apparel and specialties, does anyone locally make a lot of money?

Ghost
Sun Jul 24th, 2011, 11:38 PM
taking into account all motorcycle dealers, suppliers, service, apparel and specialties, does anyone locally make a lot of money?

Short Answer: Very Few.

Just count the number of shops that closed in the last two to three years. The rest are getting by, and owners & general managers always get paid as long as their doors are open.

McVaaahhh
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Elliot, have you thought about becoming an instructor? I know that full-time MC instructors can make some good money. I was going to do it a couple of years back but realized I did not have the time.

Check out T3RG, or hit up Spider-bob, he just got his instructor cert. :up:

McLovin
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 06:15 AM
thanks ghost. i think all of us motorcycle people would love to be able to make our passion/hobby into our work. but then we risk ruining our love of it by really making it our work. many have said to keep it separated from our actual work lifes you will enjoy it more. and, i have accepted that motorcycling is a bad investment, i never think i will get what i have sunk i into it back on any item i have purchased. some may have broke even or made something on specialty models, that i'm not sure of. with that said just enjoy the ride!

Ghost
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
thanks ghost. i think all of us motorcycle people would love to be able to make our passion/hobby into our work. but then we risk ruining our love of it by really making it our work. many have said to keep it separated from our actual work lifes you will enjoy it more. and, i have accepted that motorcycling is a bad investment, i never think i will get what i have sunk i into it back on any item i have purchased. some may have broke even or made something on specialty models, that i'm not sure of. with that said just enjoy the ride!

YW.

From my experience, keep the two separate. Get a non-bike-related job and then go ride.

Working in the industry you never have enough time, or money, or freedom to really go ENJOY your own bike...

RajunCajun
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:04 PM
I just joined the Army but don't ship out until Feb. 2012. I just need something to pay the bills until then. I think I might start calling shops to see if they are looking for people.

Ghost
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
I just joined the Army but don't ship out until Feb. 2012. I just need something to pay the bills until then. I think I might start calling shops to see if they are looking for people.

Most will only take applications online through their website, and then only when they've got open positions listed.

Also, August is the beginning of the end of the selling season, so this is usually when things start ramping down.

Not trying to be discouraging, just saying you may need a backup/alternate plan just in case this doesn't work.

RajunCajun
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Most will only take applications online through their website, and then only when they've got open positions listed.

Also, August is the beginning of the end of the selling season, so this is usually when things start ramping down.

Not trying to be discouraging, just saying you may need a backup/alternate plan just in case this doesn't work.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.