PDA

View Full Version : Another Duc Question

Gallep
Fri May 20th, 2005, 09:26 PM
@ what temp should my radiator fan kick on. I let me coolant temp reach 200 and it didn't turn on. And it fluctuates in temp like an air cooled bike.

elmog
Fri May 20th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Are you sure it's not an air cooled bike?

Coincidentally, I was just riding with a friend who recently got a Duc 900SS and when stopped for lunch he said, "the bike was getting up in the 200s and I've not yet head the fan come on..." We went and looked up under the fairing and there is no fan!

rybo
Fri May 20th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Gallep,

Mine kicks in just over 200. The bike's temp will fluctuate, especially if you are riding in traffic. The radiatior on the 748 is pretty big, but still requires quite a bit of airflow to keep the bike cool. On the interstate at constant speed mine hovers around 180. In stop and go it goes up and down, but never much above where the fan kicks in. If you want to give it a test the bike will not effectively cool when at idle. Just let it idle till the fan kicks on and note the temp. The fan will continue running if you use the kill switch on the right bar to shut the engine down. Once you turn off the key the fan stops too.

Have a good one!

Scott

Gallep
Sat May 21st, 2005, 12:59 AM
Yeah, i just went out and got it up to 200 and pulled off to let it idle, i saw the fan kick in @ about 210, And something else i noticed, scott, does your seat get hot also once in a while?

Lomax
Sat May 21st, 2005, 06:24 AM
On my 998 the fan comes on at 210 and goes off at 200. It will get a mite warm on ye old seat from time to time. I think this is normal for this series of bikes.

Ride Safe.
Marc

Desmo
Sat May 21st, 2005, 08:11 AM
Hey man its normal for them to run hot..
but you can fix that problem.. Evoluzione has a kit that might help you out. read below:

http://www.evoluzione.net/

ducati superbike fan switch kit:

this simple to install kit allows the superbike owner to reduce engine temperature by up to 25°f by turning the fans on sooner.

important features and benefits: easy to install
a "must have" for any superbike rider who is tired of a hot running bike

p/n 80080 - low temperature fan switch kit (748/916/996)
$39.99

or you can just ride faster that always cools mine down :D

rybo
Sat May 21st, 2005, 08:14 AM
The underseat exhaust can really make the seat a butt burner, same solution as the cooling issue, motion is the key. When there is adequate airflow all is good.

I put a set of carbon fiber exhaust cans on mine and that improved the "hot seat" situation quite a bit.

You guys heading to the AMA races? If so bring your duc keys so that you can access "ducati island" in the infield!

Gallep
Sat May 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM
right on thanks guys, no i won't be able to make it this year.

Desmo
Sat May 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
Just got back from PPIR.. o man that Ducati island was nice.. I just showed my Desmo Club card, but your keys, insurances, registration will all work The people are really nice.. your allowed to bring a guess and they give you ducati lanyards, and FREE food.. very nice tent.. you also have some benches and a very up close view of the S turn..

Recommend you guys go..

Gallep
Sat May 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM
nice, man i wish i could have gone, maybe next year.

rybo
Sat May 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Frank,

Will see you there tomorrow. Nice work by E-Boz and Neil pulling off the big laps in the last few minutes! 2 Duc's on the front row, this ought to be fun!

S

Desmo
Sun May 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Hopefully the Ducs will take it again this year.. its not ofthen they win.. :-)