PDA

View Full Version : 2000 r6 not starting.

jman1588
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone I have a 2000 r6 and am having problems starting it. On Saturday I started the bike up fine and was letting it warm up. Right before I got on to ride it sputtered out and died. I tried to start it again but all I heard was a click under the seat. I initially thought it was the battery so I tried to jump start it with my car turned off but still just a click and I didn't hear the fuel pump ticking either. Any ideas? I checked all connections to the rectifier and various other connections and everything looked fine. Could it be a relay or the starter possibly? Any assistance is much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

fiveninerzero
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Petcock set on to deliver fuel? All battery connections tight? Sport bike battery cables are so small, even the slightest loose connection will not allow current to flow. Checked all fuses and relays? Tried bump starting it in second gear?

jman1588
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Petcock is on. Pretty sure connections are ok. Lights all work. I have never bump started a bike before so I haven't done that but I did try to jump it with no success. Not sure how to check the relays which is what I think is wrong. Let me know your thoughts.

rfranks303
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Check the starter silanoid. This will have nothing to do with y it stalled but maybe y its not stating and only clicking. If you can get the starter to turn this will make ir easyer to see y or ir it will stay runnin.

jman1588
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I tried bypassing the starter selinoid but still just click and no fuel pump sound which makes me think it's the cutoff relay but I'm not sure if that has anything to do in this scenario.

BadR6Man
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
The dreaded R6 dead battery. It should run if battery is charged or jumper cables are connected. The notorious voltage rectifier usually shorts/melts causing a no charge condition. It is located exterior front of battery box. Inspect the connectors closely (it ain't hard to tell that it got very hot and melted) at the regulator and there is another connector approx 12 inches down located on left inside of frame. I have gone through 3 regulators and 1 stator and replaced all of the connectors on my R6.

jman1588
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Ok those connectors all look good and tight. Any other ideas? Why would the fuel pump not make that tick sound and the starter not turn? Do those 2 usually come together? Are they in line as far as electrical connections or something?

jman1588
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Also how much voltage should be coming out of the starter relay? I have 12 going in but only 3 coming out which is why I tried bypassing the relay.

rfranks303
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Not 100 percent on this but I think it would take 12 to turn the starter and a decent anout of amperage. It will say in the service manual.

Jim_Vess
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
It is most likely the Starting Circuit Cutoff Relay. If it dies, the fuel pump and starter don't get any power.

jman1588
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM
That's what I thought also. Is there a way (detailed) to test that? It does make a clicking noise when I turn the bike to run and try to start it but I read that was normal.

BadR6Man
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 10:32 PM
you can just jump the relay.

Cjake39
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
The starter/ solenoid will still click if it's getting 3 volts, but it won't be enough to turn over the motor.

ShortyC_303
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 10:09 AM
i have a 99 r6 and currently when i turn key to on position i get nothing??? no power, no lights, nothing...i jumped the starter relay and the engine turned, and battery is new..??? any help would be awesome!!!

mastap07
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 08:33 AM
i would double check your connections to the battery sense it it new. make sure they are snug and go from there.