PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with WJ Jack Locations

JustSomeDude
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
After swapping out my brake pads last week (in a job that took two hours too many), I'm hoping some one can help me with a dilemma I have when working on the front end of my 2004 WJ Jeep.

In a nutshell: I'd like to get the front end of the Jeep up onto jack stands - so I can remove/work on both wheel hubs without lowering/re-raising the vehicle. My current process is this -- lift axel, slide jack stand underaxel, lower and remove scissor-jack. However, the pickle is this: there is no way to simultaneously get a scissor-jack and a jack stand in place on the driver side, due to the location of the front diff. So I ended up just swapping the driver side brake pads using the scissor lift which was, needless to say, precarious at best.

The manual suggests lifting with the OEM scissor-jack closest to the wheel as possible on either end of the axel. On the passenger side, I was able to move the scissor-jack about 12" toward the pumpkin to get the jack stand close to the wheel. However, on the driver side, there is not enough exposed axel available to get both the scissor jack and the jack stand in place. See photo below (unfortunately, direct view to axel is mostly blocked from this angle)....

http://www.akphotodenver.com/images/lift.jpg

Any ideas? New floor jack required to get both sides properly lifted?

rfranks303
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Solution I work over bye you ill bring the jack I use to lift my lifted silverado. Problem solved. I will need a small deposit though.

1BadSvt
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Invest in a GOOD floor jack unless you would like to know what a Jeep feels like laying on top of you.

Or a HighLift Jack.

Rooster
Mon Jul 4th, 2011, 09:51 PM
im selling my hi-lift jack. $50 bucks and its your's. an extra 20 will get you the bumper plate mounts and a J looking thing to hook up to the bumper, body, or whatever you can think of.

birchyboy
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 06:34 AM
You might be able to lift it under the differential and then put the jack stand under the axle. If you do go with a Hi-Lift and haven't used one before, read, learn and be careful. They are great but can be very dangerous.

brennahm
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Get a floor jack. They're not expensive. And get the real sized one, not the mini.

+1 on the Hi Lift. Great product IF you know how to use it.

Jack the pumpkin, then insert stands.