PDA

View Full Version : Why you should hydrate before rides!!!

vort3xr6
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
In the brutal summer heat, be sure and hydrate yourself before any ride / race. I have seen this type of stuff happen to experienced guys on the track and on the road.

http://www.allaboutbikes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5372%3Ayoung-mx-rider-josh-lichtle-dies-of-heat-stroke-at-redbud&catid=36%3Amotocross&Itemid=448
(http://www.allaboutbikes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5372%3Ayoung-mx-rider-josh-lichtle-dies-of-heat-stroke-at-redbud&catid=36%3Amotocross&Itemid=448)
So sad.

Bueller
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yea I always monitor that pretty closely and yesterday I wasn't doing the greatest job of it, by the end of the last session I could feel it.

vort3xr6
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Yea I always monitor that pretty closely and yesterday I wasn't doing the greatest job of it, by the end of the last session I could feel it.

True. I got a UTI last year from not drinking enough water over a race weekend. I was realllly dehydrated during the race and probably should not have been on a bike.

OUTLAWD
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM
last weekend at chicane I drank in excess of 3 gallons of fluid (mostly water, a few haterades) and it still wasn't enough.

its a shame to hear about the MXer...

usmcab35
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM
when i went on my long trip a few weeks ago, i was using a camelback and was alternating water and gaterade ever time i stopped for gas. I had to pee a lot, but way better than passing out or dying from heat.. hydrate or DIE!!

Matrix
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I don't know how those outdoor motocross guys do it. 30 min +2 laps at 100% (around 17 or 20 in total). I do 6 laps at VDR and I need a 30 min break and a gallon of fluids.
Sad to hear about the rider.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jul 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Sad, RIP. :(

When I was doing my rides last summer I was drinking about 3L of Gatorade during the ride, and water before the ride, at lunch, and when I got to the motel. I spent 11 years in the Mojve desert when I was younger, so I'm fairly cognizant of these things. Be careful out there guys, that heat stroke shit sneaks up on you.

dm_gsxr
Wed Jul 6th, 2011, 06:07 AM
when i went on my long trip a few weeks ago, i was using a camelback and was alternating water and gaterade ever time i stopped for gas. I had to pee a lot, but way better than passing out or dying from heat.. hydrate or DIE!!

Yep, I ride with a camelbak as well. Last year when I was traveling from Texas to California, I was drinking at least a liter of water between gas stops and peeing at each stop. But at 120* at street level in Yuma and not having to pee for the first time, I decided that stopping was the right thing and bailed on the rest of the day at 3:30pm.

Too bad about the rider though. I'll have the camelbak during our upcoming trip in a couple of weeks.

That's the hose for the camelbak (sits in my Joe Rocket backpack) in the pic

http://schelin.org/20060610/day23/dscn7258x600.jpg

Carl