PDA

View Full Version : Tach and speedo backlight

dbx
Thu Jul 7th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Just noticed this morning that the light that backlights my speedo is not lighting up. Nothing else is wrong just the left side of the gauge cluster is out. My question is...how do I take it apart? I assume I have to take the front fairings off to get to the screws to take off? Are they just bulbs?

Has anyone done something similar?

2001 Yamaha r6

spdu4ia
Thu Jul 7th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Depends, ussually you can just remove the cluster after removing the front fairing and it will have screws and you can take it apart. There will be lots of pieces so be carefull and make sure you save everything. The newer ones are LED but most are just small bulbs that you can replace.

dbx
Thu Jul 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Ok. I'm hoping it's a bulb but ivkinda doubt it. The far left is my speedo which digital. I'm guessing led possibly, and the middle I'm almost positive it's a bulb. Think auto zone or an equvilant will have the bulb?

Ricky
Thu Jul 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
If it's a bulb, you might have to go to Yamaha for it, but it's hard to say. LED's are going to be a more difficult swap, but they are less likely to die so it may not be an LED. You'd have to find someone with a bit of SMD soldering skill.

Foolds
Thu Jul 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I worked on a 99 yzf 6 and it was bulb

Connman
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM
DBX,
If you locate somewhere that has these 12v mini bulbs for gauges, post it up - I've got the same issue.
What type are yours? The ones I'm looking for are in a plastic holder that fits through holes in the circuit board and twist into place. same type?
No auto parts stores have small enough bulbs.
thanks

spdu4ia
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Radio shack used to carry them.

Connman
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
2 Radio Shacks... no luck.