PDA

View Full Version : 2000 R6 question..

Desmo
Sun May 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
I am changing the originally 60 series front tire to a 70 series one. I have been told that one needs to raise the front forks 8mm to compensate for the higher tires, if not the front fender will hit and the suspension will be off.
Next will the rear shock need to be shimmed 4mm, also??

What have you guys done? I know lots of people change from the 60 to the 70 series.. has anyone any suggestions or advice??

Thanks

JOE!!!!!!
Sun May 22nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
The fender is attached to the lower fork legs, so there's not much you can easily do to change the fender/tire clearance, but you should have enough clearance to work, anyway. Since the 70 tire will make the front of the bike taller (think like extended forks), the fork tubes need to be raised in the triple clamps a like amount to compensate, and keep the front end/steering geometry the same as it was. 8mm is about right, you can go to the various tire manufacturer websites and look up the diameter of the 60 versus the 70 series, and figure it out.

Joe

Jenny
Mon May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
The front fender on the track bike ended up splitting down the middle where it got too much heat/abrasion because of less clearance when we (and when I say 'we' I mean 'Nottobear') went to a 70 front. :|

Bertha
Mon May 23rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Buy a race fender and drill the holes a little lower so the fender is higher to the tyre. That might be a quick easy fix.

Desmo
Mon May 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Buy a race fender and drill the holes a little lower so the fender is higher to the tyre. That might be a quick easy fix.
Yeap.. that is what I’m trying to avoid..
Bertha, I don’t think its as simple as moving the fender up,
I believe it has to do with the geometry of the bike.. the 70 is higher and lifts the front end up.. so you have to compensate by moving the forks..

This is a very common mod.. I’m sure someone in CSC has done it.. Anyone????

Bueller
Mon May 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM

Yeah, everyone that runs race tires ;)
I had to drill out my fender and tywrap it to make clearance for the tire and tire warmers. Different 70 series tires have different dimensions. You may or may not notice a difference in the handleing. The tire vendor should have some basic setup guidelines.

Desmo
Mon May 23rd, 2005, 11:17 AM

Yeah, everyone that runs race tires ;)

OK so what do i have to do?? just raise the forks 8mm?? do i have to shim the rear shock??

Bueller
Mon May 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Edited my first post.
Not sure what you mean by shim the rear shock, rear stock shock would have a set length, with no provision for changing ride height, you can change preload but this is not the way to change height, it will do so, but it screws up your suspension settings. You want to set your sag to the proper settings and go from there. Aftermarket shocks have a ride height adjustment, which changes the eyelet to eyelet overall length.