PDA

View Full Version : New to dirt...

cdbouncer
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Ok I have gear, I have a ride, Void has gear and a ride. Now..where to go? North is good...Longmont to ft Collins hopefully. Whats the deal with imi? I'm a rookie ...am I ok there? Woot I'm excited!:loop:

DriverDave
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Are you looking for track riding or trail riding? I have mucho experience on the trails, not so much on tracks.

GregsGSXR
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Ok I have gear, I have a ride, Void has gear and a ride. Now..where to go? North is good...Longmont to ft Collins hopefully. Whats the deal with imi? I'm a rookie ...am I ok there? Woot I'm excited!:loop:

All depends on what you are riding........

Zach929rr
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
IMI might be nice. You can generally go run loops on the newbie track without much interference. I think the dirt is $15?

mastap07
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
burthod and watkins are pretty fun as well. burthod has several tracks set up as well as 150 total acres to ride wherever. watkins has 2 main tracks, both pretty fun but they have more sand out there which can be slick to newer riders. you can check them both out, $15 a day as well.

Matrix
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I went through the same process last year. I would ride IMI until your ready for the main track. Then switch to berthoud or Watkins. The mains there much better.

Let me know if you ever want to ride.

Joe

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 05:59 PM
plated or not?

A group might be going up the foothills around buckhorn tomorrow afternoon.

cdbouncer
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I picked up a little ttr125L ...it's my first trip into the dirt world so it's perfect and little and light. No plates. Want to learn some stuff then hit some trails..nothing serious right away. Will probably check out imi and those 150 acres at the berthoud track.

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jul 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
guaranteed to have a good time

cdbouncer
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Oh hellyea! That was fun! :yay: I haven't had that much fun the first time I tried something since... well, you don't need to know that.

So - it's on. I'm totally so happy I decided to give dirt a try!!!

Now - is there a website for the berthoud track? IMI track? I'm too lazy to go look.

Also - EASY trails? Close would be nice since we have jobs but we think an easy trail - one I can't fall off a mountain on - would be fun. An out & back or a loop or something.

And: Forest service land? We can play in designated areas right?

Anybody have any good info sources (or want to be my info source)?! This is FUN!

Bueller
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Forest land will require OHV registration and the muffler is aftermarket so it must have a spark arrestor.

mastap07
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
To burthoud... and sorry its 160 acres lol
http://www.vdrmx.com/directions.html

To erie or IMI...
http://imimotorsports.com/index.php?page=tracks

cdbouncer
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks!!

Picked up a trailer this afternoon...looks like the dirt life is in full swing!

Too bad I gotta work...I'm ready to go again!

OH - I need a new rear tire.. who do you recommend in the longmont/loveland area?

Bueller
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Epic Motosports

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Jul 10th, 2011, 07:19 PM
www.advrider.com
adventure rider

http://nctr.net/
Northern CO trail riders

Ricky
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I've got a membership to Watkins, and I really enjoy it out there. The intermediate track is a bit more ballsy than IMI's intermediate, and the pro track is pretty sweet. They also have the open area to just go fuck around and do whatever. I'm glad I spent a bunch of time there learning my bike. Now when I'm on the trails, I'm quite comfortable.

I'm working on building a site for exactly this purpose. www.codirt.com. Still under construction, but there are plenty of ideas up there.

jrhurt
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Glad to see someone else getting the bug!

As far as tracks go, I liked Watkins for my first couple of times out. I felt the intermediate track was a good place to learn, and I have always had luck in the afternoon with it being pretty empty. They don't have a good open riding area like berthoud though.

Once I moved to the main tracks, I really like IMI. I think (and anyone feel free to correct me or disagree) that it is a very good place to get comfortable on the full size tracks. It is very forgiving but fun, there is only one jump that I have to roll over. You can hit everything else at whatever speed you feel comfortable at.

Have fun!

MAZIN
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Burthoud is cool but we have a sorted history ;) heres a good forum with links to all the co db stuff as well as other resources.

Www.thumpertalk.com

Also feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

TwistyRydr
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I picked up a little ttr125L ...it's my first trip into the dirt world so it's perfect and little and light. No plates. Want to learn some stuff then hit some trails..nothing serious right away. Will probably check out imi and those 150 acres at the berthoud track.

TTR is definitely underpowered if you wanna hit the trails ..
i got frustrated taking on the big hills :-(

Have fun wherever you decide to ride.

PS If you ever travel down south here in the springs i can take you to the easy trails. Ill have to dust off the bike since its been a while after i got to riding on the street but the dirt still is my first love :-)

cdbouncer
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I am currently having a blast figuring this whole thing out. It's become obvious that I like mud..whodathought?!

Saturday or Sunday sounds like we're gonna check out the backside (non track area I think) of Berthoud. But someday soon I wannt "go" somewhere.

Racz
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I would say that Watkins would be the best place to learn! Their intermediate track is really great, except for the fact that the don"t water it. That has all ways been my favorite track because of how close it is.

mastap07
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 07:05 AM
watkins is pretty fun but the fact that they dont water the intermediate track sucks. it can be really sandy on the turns...

Ricky
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, no water on the intermediate trail at Watkins, does suck. But at the same time, it's good terrain to learn to get used to. I haven't been there since April, but it was pretty torn up compared to the previous year. I hope they did a little maintenance on it.

cdbouncer
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
ok...what is watkins? Is this the one down on C470?:idea:

jrhurt
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
That is Thunder Valley. Watkins is in Watkins, CO. About half an hour east of downtown on I-70.

cdbouncer
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I apparently need to learn the lingo...and the locations :puke:

Ricky
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
ok...what is watkins? Is this the one down on C470?:idea:

http://www.codirt.com/trails/?trailID=252

cdbouncer
Sun Jul 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
:yay: went out to Watkins today! The intermediate track is way fun! Was an awesome day until the boy spilled in a turn and finished off his clutch lever. Note to self...,extra parts, shade, more water...Watkins ftw! Will be returning! If the dude on the kawi who helped me get unstuck is one if us....thanks!

Bueller
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Get aluminium hand guards (aka bark busters), and you won't be buying new levers every time the bike is crashed.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 01:06 PM
amen to bark busters

could getcha a spare shift lever however

I have a spare attached to my frame with hose clamps so it's never forgotten

cdbouncer
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yea - for certain we'll bring extra levers and parts next time! We were just getting into the day really but..alas, we didn't bring any shade either - soon the sun woulda taken us out anyway.

I think we're planning on Berthoud this weekend - I don't think any events are planned for this weekend. Maybe Erie too - guess we'll see how many parts we break on saturday.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
we'll bring extra levers and parts next time!

real guards, not levers....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvJ4IcN1kRP4Akq0d8YTmIlvU9Sj6VM B9QmanOVahv8YsfXuS9&t=1

cdbouncer
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Yep - I get what you are sayin. :D

real guards, not levers....

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvJ4IcN1kRP4Akq0d8YTmIlvU9Sj6VM B9QmanOVahv8YsfXuS9&t=1

jrhurt
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Might want to avoid IMI on Sunday. It is the day in the dirt event, so it will be packed. If you want to sign up, you can go to RMXA.com. I will be there, so let me know if you decide to go.

cdbouncer
Mon Jul 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up...maybe back to watkins then on Sunday. I don't think I'm ready for a "day in the anything" yet...I got myself lost trying to get from the flats to the intermediate track yesterday :think:

Might want to avoid IMI on Sunday. It is the day in the dirt event, so it will be packed. If you want to sign up, you can go to RMXA.com. I will be there, so let me know if you decide to go.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jul 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Looks like wife and I will be meeting a friend at Watkins tomorrow afternoon.

cdbouncer
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
We are planning on Sunday...pry berthoud. Void is on the MTn bike right now. Hmmm:tnator:

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 01:08 PM
ended up with a last minute change of plans. Now it appears we'll be at Watkins Sunday morning. It will be the wife's maiden voyage on dirt. A friend has an extra bike for her to try. Borrowed a portable canopy to try and keep the one-month old cool.

EdIT: ok, maybe not watkins. wtf is up with these dirt track retarded membership policies? Maybe we'll be at IMI.

cdbouncer
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Imi has dirt days tomorrow. We are going to Watkins tomorrow. Our first trip to Watkins was awesome. They didn't make us pay the membership....said we should see if we liked it and we could pay the next time. We are gladly paying the $30 family membership tomorrow. It's an easy going place with good people and a giant amount of different riding. Hills, trails, a big fun intermediate track, open areas, etc. You should come out!

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I didn't see anything on the calendar for IMI tomorrow. Berthoud had something going on. Would have been awesome to meet up with ya but it's too late to change plans with the friend who's meeting us with her bikes.

cdbouncer
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Have fun! I think the thing is over at 1:30 or something....

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
not on the calendar, where'd you hear?

http://imimotorsports.com/index.php?page=events

I will not be a happy camper

TinkerinWstuff
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
from the chat window on the live feed:
http://imimotorsports.com/live_race/

08:40:46 ‹Melissa› I heard there are some beginner tracks...
08:41:01 ‹Melissa› my BF is a beginner and needs a safe place to learn

18:40:41 ‹James› Melissa, IMI has three tracks that can be considered "beginner" tracks. One on the backside of the property, one on the opposite side of the Pro track, and a 50cc track. All well suited for beginners. Just tell him to stay off the FMX ramps and landings, they'll be in use tomorrow.

cdbouncer
Sat Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
It's in this thread and the guy who sells me all my gear at performance said they'd be out there till around then. It's pry nothing ... I'm just not ready for a ton of people.

Bueller
Sun Aug 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Another new girl to the dirt scene :)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Riding/8b742f15.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Riding/e850be8b.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Riding/e7d14f93.jpg

cdbouncer
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:22 AM
Yay!!!