PDA

View Full Version : Bub Speed Trials at Bonneville Salt Flats

Husky
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 07:54 PM
They are having the Bonneville Salt Flats top speed runs for just motorcycles on August 27 - Sept. 1. Just wondering if anyone has ever attended one of these events and knows what kind of prep work you need to have dont to your bike to pass tech inspection.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jul 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thinking about running? Be aware that the salt is EXTREMELY abrasive and corrosive......and it gets EVERYWHERE.

If you go, have fun, and be safe!

FZRguy
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Would sure like to plan a trip to watch.

Husky
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Thinking about running? Be aware that the salt is EXTREMELY abrasive and corrosive......and it gets EVERYWHERE.

If you go, have fun, and be safe!

Thanks, yes I am thinking about running as long as the costs dont get to be too much. I've always wanted to see how fast I'm willing to go before I turn off the throttle, seems like it could be alot of fun in a safe invironment.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks, yes I am thinking about running as long as the costs dont get to be too much. I've always wanted to see how fast I'm willing to go before I turn off the throttle, seems like it could be alot of fun in a safe invironment.
Well, there are plenty of long, straight, empty, deserted roads out here, but it's at a higher altitude. But, the plus side of the flats is that it's legal and precisely timed, and the race atmoshpere would be way cool. The downside is all the damage/mess from the salt. Best of luck if you decide to go!

travisspeed
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Ya im going to race the tubro R6
corrosive just need to be up on that.. oil, wd40, lube, grease, cleaning
really in the years ive been going out there that would be at the age of 2 years old been going ever year not just to the BUB meets but SCTA meets. its in the blood. just to let you know. Ive seen cars rust out from years going there. Bikes if you stay on cleaning and lubing oiling i think your good to go. Just over time you may have to get new things that have rusted on you.. just make it a salt racing machine