PDA

View Full Version : R6 is better! UPDATE no idle, surge, & back fires

Cjake39
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
So after enough research to shoot myself, I still haven't found an answer to what's going on with my bike. It's an 03 R6 with about 23k on it.

It started at highway speeds it would blip/surge the throttle like it had bad gas or something. Then it would not stay at idle and die (under ~1500 rpm). It seems like it has a dead spot until it hits above 5k rpm. Every time I pull in the clutch when stopping or slowing down, it will die. I raised the idle, but it still runs like crap between 2k and 6k rpm.

I basically have to keep the rpms above 2k. In the garage I would rev to about 8-9k rpm and let it drop. This would cause a significant flame out the tail pipe and would smell rich.

It has had the coil recall done and I changed the spark plugs this weekend and it didn't seem to fix the issue. I'm planning on taking it in this week unless someone here has a sure fix beforehand?

TIA

UPDATED WITH SOLUTION

OK, so I got my bike back from Rocky Mtn this weekend. She is all better and running better than ever. The problem was that the bike had multiple stored codes on the computer. It was showing codes for: tip over, TPS, idle, and misfires. Danny the tech, who is a MRA racer, said that the R6 does not like stored codes and sometimes the computer will go back and try to go into a limp mode.

My advice to others with this problem is to have all your codes and code history cleared first before replacing parts. He said at worst it may be a bad TPS, but after all the codes were cleared, it was working just fine and has been for the last 100 miles so far. The $70 bill was more than worth it to finally figure it out...

Sully
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Do you have any mods on it or a power commander?

brennahm
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Fuel pressure?

MetaLord 9
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Have you pulled your spark plugs recently? I had a bike that had spark plug wires on the wrong plugs which caused very similar issues

Cjake39
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Nothing for real mods other than a Graves exhaust. I haven't made any power changes other than an oil change over the last 10K miles. I changed the plugs this weekend and I'm 100% sure they went all back into the right coils/holes.

Not sure on the fuel pressure, how would I check that? It has that wierd high psi line under the tank. No system lights are on either. It seemed to get too much fuel if anything...

...You guys are so great at responding. You must be bored? :) I really appreciate the help.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I've got a very similar issue on my 05 r6 that I havnt figured out yet. All the same symptoms except it doesn't die. Runs like crap 2k-6k and stumbles plenty. Also runs rich is seems and idles funky. I would be interested as to your outcome, so please keep us updated here :)

Mother Goose
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Pull the plugs and double check them, is where I'd start. Especially if it started after you changed them.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Pull the plugs and double check them, is where I'd start. Especially if it started after you changed them.

By the wording I am pretty sure he changed them to attempt to fix it.

Wrider
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
How'd your plugs look?

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Im thinking plugs as well... Did you gap them to yamaha spec? I would say 1. plugs 2. wires. To me it sounds like a mis-fire.

Mother Goose
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
By the wording I am pretty sure he changed them to attempt to fix it.
I reread the first post, I see it now. :up:

I'm out of ideas then. :dunno:

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Have you tried more cowbell?

Sean
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Had a similar problem with my car form sitting to much. For me it was the fuel injector/fuel lines not delivering a consistent level of fuel.

MetaLord 9
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I forget, the bike's not carb'd right? If it were i'd say look at your jets 'cause they could be clogged or crapped up, especially if you think you had bad gas.

Have you pulled the plugs to check that they're all firing properly? (hold the wired up plug next to the frame and hit the starter)

Sully
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Have you tried more cowbell?

:spit:

My bike runs stupid lean (Jim's exact words) which surges at lower rpm's, backfires with blue flame :zap::twisted:(this actually makes me laugh a bit, lol) also causing about a 2 second hesitation when the FI engages.. After running tests and checking everything, Jim ordered a CO2 sensor and I just ordered a PC III so hopefully this will take care of the problem. I have a K&N filter and a slip on and my bike will run fine at sea level, but with our higher altitude my bike is pissed off that it's not getting enough air mixture. (I hope that made sense)

Cjake39
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 12:56 PM
It is fuel injected. Had the problem before changing plugs, gapped at .32 per Apex. I can't say whether changing the plugs really helped or not. Symptoms were better, but not fully resolved. Kind of like taking cough medicine for a fever...

I also ride probably 3-4 days a week, so it hasn't sat long. I did put fresh gas from a different station and that also did not seem to help.

I did read something about the TPS possibly going out, but I don't want to do so if that's not the ultimate problem.

It did backfire slightly before but only after a really hot ride and getting on it a bit. It was not near as bad as this. The back fire now happens when reving it up to 8k+ and dropping the throttle to get a foot long yellow flame with even a bellow of flame staying around for a bit... It looks like NASCAR exhaust, but I couldn't get it to do it long enough for a vid...hehe

Need to try some cowbell...

AOK303
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 05:55 PM
i know you changed your plugs and gaped them but just like some car's you go to an after market plug and it will run like shit, did you clean the spark plug wire you could just have crap in them and a bad connection, you injector could be stuck open and leaking causing a flooded effect

i know my bike has fuel mix issues i have no carbon build up at all in my muffler

rfranks303
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 06:37 PM
About a week ago I barley made it home. I hit my reserve about 30 miles early so I stoped for gas. About 3 blocks later flooding even after shuting off the pet cock (I have a carbed bike). I figured a stuck float. When I opened it up I found a pin hole leak in my tank. The gas was dripping into the air box. I had already bought some seafoam so I could Try to cheat the float I thought was stuck. After changing the plugs and running a few ounces of seafoam threw the now repaired tank my bikes feeling awsome. Just like after cleaning the carbs. I would try some seafoam first just don't over do it. Seafoams no magic potion but worth a shot for ten bucks. Warning most injector cleaners are too harsh for motorcycles. Start cheap and basic air, fuel, spark.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
+1 to seafoam. I trust the stuff, it helped my issue for a few tanks but it came back. Definitely good and safe stuff to try.

InSuPress
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
+1 to seafoam. I trust the stuff, it helped my issue for a few tanks but it came back. Definitely good and safe stuff to try.

TOTALLY agree. it's patrol based and you can put it in the gas, in the cyl, intake all and leave it sit and clean. after which you will notice a differance.

rfranks303
Tue Jul 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM

I would say this means its the fuel system on yours. My offeer still stands if you want me to help you out.

AOK303
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I hate sea foam while yes i have used it and know what it does do, i have also seen it ruin vehicles, it really depends if you do know how to read and fallow instructions i hate cleaning sea foam up from a seized motor

Cjake39
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Yah, I'm not a big fan of ruining a perfectly good motor. The old plugs were a little dark/dirty, but again, changing them out didn't completely fix the problem. At this point, a diagnosis from the dealer might be the best option just so I don't do more work, spend any extra money, and get it fixed right the first time.

Any thoughts on a faulty TPS?

Cjake39
Fri Jul 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Well that was one of the more scary rides to take the bike in. I raised the idle to 2200 just to get down to Rocky Mtn, but it still kept trying to die. Let's just say it wasn't fun...

Cjake39
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
OK, so I got my bike back from Rocky Mtn this weekend. She is all better and running better than ever. The problem was that the bike had multiple stored codes on the computer. It was showing codes for: tip over, TPS, idle, and misfires. Danny the tech, who is a MRA racer, said that the R6 does not like stored codes and sometimes the computer will go back and try to go into a limp mode.

My advice to others with this problem is to have all your codes and code history cleared first before replacing parts. He said at worst it may be a bad TPS, but after all the codes were cleared, it was working just fine and has been for the last 100 miles so far. The $70 bill was more than worth it to finally figure it out...