PDA

View Full Version : Gas overflow?

Erratic
Tue Aug 26th, 2003, 07:41 PM
So for the past 2 days I've rode the F4i to work. It sits parked in the sun, and I've noticed that there is gas dripping out of the overflow hose ( i think it's gas, and the gas overflow hose). Is this a natural occurance due to heat?

Dysco
Tue Aug 26th, 2003, 10:12 PM
depends on how much gas you have in the tank. If you just filled it, sure. If not, you might want to check it out further- like make sure it's gas and see exactly where it's coming from.

yakuza
Tue Aug 26th, 2003, 10:14 PM
If it's a little bit of dripping, just a small puddle, that used to happen to mine too sometimes. As I recall it went away after awhile... if a lot comes out, or it does it all the time, you might want to look into it.

mikesf4i
Tue Aug 26th, 2003, 10:14 PM
I have never seen it on mine

Erratic
Tue Aug 26th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Well it's only a very small amount, and it's coming from the hose without a doubt. It does also have a full tank. It does not do it overnight, that is why I think it's from the heat.

Anonymous
Wed Aug 27th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Two things:

1. Heat expansion, this happens to any fluid. Though I doubt you're expanding it enough to flood the tank.

2. Evaporation/Condensation: Fuel turns to vapor at high temperature, it is likely evaporating and the vapor is travelling down the overflow tube, where it condenses into liquid again and drips out. Park in the shade or don't fill it up so much and this won't happen. :up:

Anonymous
Wed Aug 27th, 2003, 06:39 AM
My R1 would leak a bit of gas right after doing stoppies with a full tank. :D

Erratic
Wed Aug 27th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Two things:
2. Evaporation/Condensation: Fuel turns to vapor at high temperature, it is likely evaporating and the vapor is travelling down the overflow tube, where it condenses into liquid again and drips out. Park in the shade or don't fill it up so much and this won't happen. :up:

I think that's what's happeneing. I'll try to find a shady spot to park in. Thanks