PDA

View Full Version : Q2 cupping

Ezzzzy1
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Anyone noticing that the Q2 cup more than other tires? I have been pretty hard on the rear tire thats on the bike but was just looking at it and its cupped bad on both sides. Never seen it this bad...

What makes a motorcycle tire cup? First time I have used the Dynabeads anyone notice a relationship between the two?

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
If your tires are cupping, you need to set your suspension properly.

/thread

madvlad
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Well our roads are not the best either so tire crowning and cupping is going to happen... ummm now that you mention that Zach it makes me wonder about my suspension and if the last owner messed with it cause the rear has slight cupping.

Vellos
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:01 AM
If your tires are cupping, you need to set your suspension properly.

/thread

http://somethingthatilike.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/like-a-boss.jpg

Ezzzzy1
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I always knew that suspension was a slight? cause of cupping but this is pretty bad... First tire to do this on this bike. When I replaced my front tire they shipped the wrong size (120/70). After talking about it I decided to throw it on. Anyone think that could have thrown things off enough to cause this?

dragos13
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
What is the correct size for the front?

Also, it could have something to do with tire pressure..

Mother Goose
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I very well could have. From what I understand is that cupping comes from your rebounding being off. So basically when you are in a corner, the tire is almost bouncing on the pavement, wearing down the part of the tire that hits the pavement harder. I'm probably way off, so hopefully Scer will see this and set my dumbass straight.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM
it's not necessarily a problem. cupping will occur under heavy braking and cornering. i've always cupped a front tire long before i took them to the wear indicators.

OUTLAWD
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM
it's not necessarily a problem. cupping will occur under heavy braking and cornering. i've always cupped a front tire long before i took them to the wear indicators.

+1

even with my fully adjustable shock, I still experienced cupping on the rear.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:59 AM
From what I remember from Scer's awesome tire seminar up in Loveland a few months back, he said that depending on HOW the tire was cupped, it would tell you if it was rebound or compression damping that was the problem. I can't remember which. Scer and/or IRDave, or maybe even Rybo could say. They're all great sources of info.

But, I'm with Jim on this, I always have seen a little cupping, almost always mostly on the front for me, and it never seems to be any issue.

asp_125
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
+1 billion. Check your tire pressures and then get your suspension set up. It may not eliminate the cupping but will reduce it a lot.

madvlad
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:13 AM
So I'm an absolute noob when it comes to suspension stuff but what would be the optimum settings for our state?

asp_125
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
So I'm an absolute noob when it comes to suspension stuff but what would be the optimum settings for our state?

Most supersports come from the factory set up for a rider around 150# (little asian dudes) ;)

Google the Dave Moss videos on YouTube, he talks a lot about setup. Also the latest issue of Sport Rider has a middleweight shootout with suggested baseline settings.

madvlad
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Most supersports come from the factory set up for a rider around 150# (little asian dudes) ;)

Google the Dave Moss videos on YouTube, he talks a lot about setup. Also the latest issue of Sport Rider has a middleweight shootout with suggested baseline settings.

Haha I'm in that league at 155 lbs and 5'6 with the exception of the asian part lol. The previous owner was about 225my lbs though and like 5'8 so I'm assuming they got the suspension tweaked a bit

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Haha I'm in that league at 155 lbs and 5'6 with the exception of the asian part lol. The previous owner was about 225my lbs though and like 5'8 so I'm assuming they changed the suspension tweaked a bit

even if the previous owner didnt touch the suspension, it would be too stiff for you. your bike came with .95 springs in the front and a 525lb rear. you should be running .85 front and 475 rear. replacing springs is relatively inexpensive.

Scer
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
If you can, post up a pic of the tire and the direction it rotates.

Cup on cuppas

madvlad
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
even if the previous owner didnt touch the suspension, it would be too stiff for you. your bike came with .95 springs in the front and a 525lb rear. you should be running .85 front and 475 rear. replacing springs is relatively inexpensive.

I'll check into that, thank you for that info Jim. I gotta read up more on the suspension stuff.

AOK303
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM
where did you find the info to know spring in front and rear i would like to set mine up on my bike being im a larger asian 5'9/5'10 170pds

TFOGGuys
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM
99% of cupping issues are caused by UNDERINFLATION. When bikes come into my shop, more than half of them have tires that are underinflated by MORE than 20%(calls for 36 and is less than 30, or calls for 42 and is less than 34, for example). Correct inflation pressures can be found in a number of places: Decal on the frame by the steering head, owner's manual, some bikes even have a sticker on the swingarm or chain guard. Failing this, CALL ME. I have inflation specs for most everything produced since 1982.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies all... I totally spaced that I did not mount the larger tire, I had and extra 120/70 sitting around. So the front IS the correct size.

Tire pressure is spot on but I just threw it back on to try to eat up more of the sides before I threw it out (most of the miles on it are from highway).

Tire picture:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/tirecupping.jpg

I kid, I kid!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/tire.jpg
Tire rotates clockwise.

Scer
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Are you sure it turns clockwise??.. Slow your low speed rebound about 4 clicks.

Smooth on smoothas

Ezzzzy1
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Are you sure it turns clockwise??.. Slow your low speed rebound about 4 clicks.

Smooth on smoothas

HA! Its a magical tire wheel set up... Wheel tunes counter clock and tire turns clockwise :wtf:. Took two pics and posted the wrong one. Thanks man!

Was thinking about having Mike at Supertune do the suspension? I have always had a good friend do it but he is out of state now... Any recommendations?

AOK303
Wed Jul 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

found this

Scer
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 06:01 AM
HA! Its a magical tire wheel set up... Wheel tunes counter clock and tire turns clockwise :wtf:. Took two pics and posted the wrong one. Thanks man!

Was thinking about having Mike at Supertune do the suspension? I have always had a good friend do it but he is out of state now... Any recommendations?

l o l. it's like your bike has spinners on it. I don't know mike and I am sure he does a good job, however my personal recommendation would to visit my business partner scott jensen. 970-300-4240. as much as I know he knows about 3 times more. He also builds and tunes bikes for AMA racers. give him a call and let him know I sent to you.

like I always say suspension is the most important part of the bike. If that is off, you spend hundreds of dollars on tires that you don't need to.

Tune on tunas.. not like the fish

stubbicatt
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Here is a shameless plug for Boulder Motorsports. They are a brand specific shop, but they did my suspension for me and it has been perfect. They set sag and damping for you.

Be forewarned, you may need a different spring set to get it right for you.

FWIW. :)

Regards,
Stubb

OUTLAWD
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Tune on tunas.. not like the fish

srsly?

get more sleep man

GuitarX
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Dyna beads caused cupping and a horrible high-speed shake on my VFR800 and did the same to my friend's VFR800. I'll never use them again. I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem but it's certainly one of the first things I'd look into.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 09:01 AM
where did you find the info to know spring in front and rear i would like to set mine up on my bike being im a larger asian 5'9/5'10 170pds

Racetech's website will give you recommended spring rates based on your bike and body weight - http://racetech.com/ChooseVehicle.aspx Note that it's not always accurate. The rear spring recommendation for my race bike was off by 100lbs so I don't rely on it much. Ultimately you will need a spring weight that will allow to set a proper bike sag and rider sag. These numbers can vary based on who you ask and how your ride, but a good baseline is set the rear bike sag around 5mm and rider sag about 25-30mm, and front bike sag around 15mm and rider sage 30-35mm.

asp_125
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
My first set of tires cupped like that until I had the rebound set up. I run Dynabeads and no problems so far on the new set of Q2s.

rybo
Thu Jul 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM
dont forget about tire / wheel alignment

If the rear wheel isn't in the swing arm straight it can cause problems like this. Measure your bike, the hash marks on the swing arm aren't always accurate.

s