PDA

View Full Version : HPR 7-25

Biggredd
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
So I'm looking to do my first track day at HPR this coming Monday, the 25th. Just going to do a half day, morning session. Any one else planning to go? Haven't decided if I'm going to ride way out there or if anyone else is planning to go that has extra room on a trailer and I could throw down some gas money. I might have a trailer to borrow from a friend as well but thats always a pain. I'll be coming from Greenwood Village area. 2008 Honda CBR 1000

Aston
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I plan on being there. I might have extra room in the trailer if I decide to leave the Honda at home and take the Aprilia instead. I'm kind of trying not to overdo the Honda at track days, saving it for once I license up after SS at the next HPR round.

I can't wait to do Novice GTU and LW Endurance on the Honda at PPIR.. Boy oh boy..

Biggredd
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well keep me informed. I'll have to make sure I get there early for the first timers meeting at 745am. Looking forward to a great day regardless. Ppir would be fun too, one track at a time

Bueller
Tue Jul 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM
The riders meeting @ 7:45 and 12:45 is for everyone but especially important for first time riders.

Gramps
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
We have a small group going that day but we are leaning towards the afternoon session.

Good luck with your first track day!

5280ZX6R
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Looking forward to it!

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 10:31 AM
You guys riding out there or taking trailers? Was thinking morning since its been raining so much in the afternoon here lately. Although I'm sure its a little different out there.

Ghost
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
It's looking like I won't have a ride, so I won't make this one.

As to riding out there--the only issue is you have to get there early to tape off the bike (nbd really--just be sure you've got water/water wetter in before you get out there) and IF you wad it up then you're walking home...

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
what is water wetter? Thought really only need to remove mirrors

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM

you will need to tape up your lights and turn signals. go to home depot and get blue painter tape for this.

Redline claims that it will do the following:
• Doubles the wetting ability of water
• Improves heat transfer
• Reduces cylinder head temperatures
• May allow more spark advance for increased torque (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/01/redline-waterwetter%C2%AE-review/#)
• Reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis of all metals
• Provides long term corrosion protection
• Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
• Prevents foaming
• Reduces cavitation corrosion
• Complexes with hard water to reduce scale

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/b/redline_water_wetter.jpg

Ghost
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 11:40 AM

http://highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR-Lapping-Day-Policies.pdf

Motorcycles
* Water cooled motorcycles must not use any type of glycol in the cooling system. Water and “Water Wetter” is acceptable.

* Motorcycles must have rear view mirrors either removed or covered with tape. HPR recognized instructors are exempted from this requirement.
* Full face helmets are required. Hinged full face helmets are not allowed.
* Motorcycle riders must wear full 1 piece or 2 piece leathers. 2 piece suits must zip all the way around at the waist. Textile suits are not allowed.
* Boots that cover the ankle and gloves that cover the wrist are required.
* Passengers are NOT allowed on ANY motorcycle.

Water Wetter:
http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

Can get it any nearly any auto/bike shop

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Ok. Good thing you guys are helping me out. I saw that but didn't really know. So would I drain my coolant completely and use this? Sounds like this day is gonna add up in cost

Sean
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Ok. Good thing you guys are helping me out. I saw that but didn't really know. So would I drain my coolant completely and use this? Sounds like this day is gonna add up in costYou don't HAVE to use Water Wetter. The most important thing is to flush all of the coolant out of your system completely. You can replace it with:

hose/tap water- This is an option for temporary coolant replacement. It will work fine for the track. Don't leave regular water in the engine for prolonged periods of time as it can build up mineral deposits.

distilled water- this is safe to keep in the bike for extended periods of time. The only catch is that you add antifreeze before winter comes and there's a chance of the water freezing.

Water Wetter- again, you will probably want to combine it with distilled water.

(if I got anything wrong, please feel free to correct me)

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Also, that thing of water wetter is like $12 and lasts for at least a handful of fresh coolant exchanges.

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:09 PM
What would you recommend since I only plan to do one day and likely not be back for a long time. The blue tape and mirrors is easy.

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I always grab a 1 gal. jug of DI water from King Soopers for like $1 and i think you add 12-15 capfuls of water wetter to it. Shake and bake. Should cost you all of $15.

If you are close to Littleton I can give you a hand.

Bueller
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
For 1 day, flush completely and just add distilled water don't worry about water wetter. When done, drain water and re add antifreeze.

Sean
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I always grab a 1 gal. jug of DI water from King Soopers for like $1 and i think you add 12-15 capfuls of water wetter to it. Shake and bake. Should cost you all of $15.

If you are close to Littleton I can give you a hand.This is a great option. You can also do the exact same thing minus the water wetter if you want.

Ghost
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM
hose/tap water- This is an option for temporary coolant replacement. It will work fine for the track. Don't leave regular water in the engine for prolonged periods of time as it can build up mineral deposits.

Don't use tap water. For the $1-$3 for distilled just buy it.

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
So could I get away with just distilled or would it be worth the extra cost of wetter got just a few hours? I assume I would probably put in new coolant when I get back home? Ready to go race already. Does it get pretty crowded their on mondays?

Ghost
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:33 PM
So could I get away with just distilled or would it be worth the extra cost of wetter got just a few hours? I assume I would probably put in new coolant when I get back home? Ready to go race already. Does it get pretty crowded their on mondays?

I look at it this way-- Distilled water + WW = $15

$15 for that extra margin of heat absorption/dissipation is better than risking a more catastrophic failure when your system overheats...

And, FWIW, I leave the water/WW in all summer so I can just hit the track whenever. I only change back to coolant for winter riding/storage.

Bueller
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Personally I wouldn't waste my $ for a single day. I have the same bottle as I bought back in 2006 I only use it when I remember I have it.

Zach929rr
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:41 PM
when I remember I have it.

And that is the reason I currently have 3, half-full, lifetime supply worthy, bottles of Water Wetter.

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Ok. So think I'll just go the distilled route. Can I re use the anti freeze? Or should I just consider this a good time to change it? So no mirrors, tape the headlight and signals and replace the coolant. Will be renting a two piece suit from someone down the street from me. Have boots, gloves, and a helmet. Almost all set.

Sean
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Ok. So think I'll just go the distilled route. Can I re use the anti freeze? Or should I just consider this a good time to change it? So no mirrors, tape the headlight and signals and replace the coolant. Will be renting a two piece suit from someone down the street from me. Have boots, gloves, and a helmet. Almost all set.I would not reuse the antifreeze. Put new stuff in. Here are just a couple of other things to consider:
1. pull the fuses for your brake lights and headlights. It's not 100% necessary, but then you won't have to worry about the lights getting to hot or being able to be seen.

2. Put a piece of painters tape over the speedo. It can be a distraction and on the track it doesn't really matter. (this just personal preference)

3. It doesn't seem like HPR requires back protector's, but it's a good thing to have. If you can get your hands on one or borrow one, I would suggest it.

4. Also, look over your tires and brake pads. Make sure there is still life in them. You don't want to be on the track wondering if your brakes are good.

Have a blast!

Ghost
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
It's definitely worth getting a: Back protector.

And pulling the fuse on your headlight MAY disable your bike so it won't start. If that's the case, break the connection at the pigtails behind the lamp assembly.

Don't reuse: Condoms, Antifreeze, Motor Oil

Biggredd
Wed Jul 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Well noted on the list of what not to reuse. I'll swap that coolant out soon. Now just hoping I can find someone to tag aLong with.