PDA

View Full Version : Lurch/Glenn/Ralph other MRA - Airfence issue

Ytry2
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM
We had a couple of huge get offs this weekend. We even had a RC51 catch fire...Entertaining to say the least *note T1 has developed a depression on the exit right on the line*

After watching a bike/rider come off T7, loose it and become a close personal friend of the concrete wall that protects the riders in the "HotPit", I noticed the Air fences behavior at the moment of impact.

As the bike hit the air fence, the fence lifted up 6 to 9 inches. Normally this would cause any alarm. However, this time the rider was sliding right behind the bike and slid under the fence as the bike cause it to lift up.

What is your protocol to anchor the air fence to the ground?

Bertha
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
*Current AirFence Person*

Currently we tie all the airfences together and to what they are in front of IE wall, tyres etc... Some of the rope is very long be we make sure there is little slack in it so that the airfence stays were we want it. I believe that if a bike would to hit the fence it wouldn't be able to rise more then a few inches off the ground but still then the "people eater" would still do it's job and stop the rider from hitting the wall.

Ray-Ray
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Troy - Are you guys still using the air fence that does not need to be blown up? I remember SMRI having blocks of some sort.

Our air fences are pretty heavy. The skirt on the bottom does not allow a rider to go under them. We just tie them down so they don't blow away no need to anchor them to the ground.

Hope that helps...

RR

Anonymous
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Ray knows all about skirts... :shock:

Bertha
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah he does! He keeps chasing me around!

Ytry2
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Troy - Are you guys still using the air fence that does not need to be blown up? I remember SMRI having blocks of some sort.

Our air fences are pretty heavy. The skirt on the bottom does not allow a rider to go under them. We just tie them down so they don't blow away no need to anchor them to the ground.

Hope that helps...

RR
rayray.... whats new

Yea, they are 5-foot block sections with 5 sets of D rings/belts. 3 of these d rings are at the front side of the fence and 2 at the backside. A Velcro flap then covers the seam between the blocks.

They had them tied down from the top and bottom d-rings with a 5 foot cord to a point in the back. But if you could imagine the point in the back as being the pivot and the whole fence acting as a swing, lifting up from an impact near the top of the fence.

I was wondering if you guys have developed another way to anchor the bottom down closer to the front/bottom D ring to counter act the swing and pivot.

I know it might not happen all the time *you know T7 and how fast it is* this guy hit it flat out, well the bike did, he was slammed into the ground before he left the track

The GECCO
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:41 AM
TC, the stuff you have is very different than what we are using, yours is called "Airfence Bike" (dunno where that came from). You should get in touch with Andy Coffee from Airfence at airfence@airfence.com. Tell him what you are seeing and he may have a solution for you.

Bertha
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Glenn any work on more AirFences? AMA had 27 units set up!.... 27!

Ytry2
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:55 AM
TC, the stuff you have is very different than what we are using, yours is called "Airfence Bike" (dunno where that came from). You should get in touch with Andy Coffee from Airfence at airfence@airfence.com. Tell him what you are seeing and he may have a solution for you.

Thank you Glenn, Yea i just noticed the types of airfence are completely different. I will contact this person, Thanks again....

The GECCO
Wed May 25th, 2005, 12:04 PM

yeah, but did you see the two trucks and trailers they have dedicated to hauling it all? as soon as we have a way to haul that many, we will buy that many!

Anonymous
Wed May 25th, 2005, 12:09 PM

yeah, but did you see the two trucks and trailers they have dedicated to hauling it all? as soon as we have a way to haul that many, we will buy that many!

Not to mention the dedicated crew and pre-event setup. This is one of many differences between club and pro racing kids... You should see some of the toys those guys have!

Ray-Ray
Wed May 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
AMA has 1 guy that is in charge of the air fence.... AMA hires help at each track to help him setup and tear down....

TC - What's going on! How's SMRI??

Bertha
Wed May 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM
No I didn't see the trucks. Just made note of it and was impressed... Airfence can be a real bitch! These burritos are heavy!

The GECCO
Wed May 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM
No I didn't see the trucks. Just made note of it and was impressed... Yeah, wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of a budget? :shock:

Bertha
Wed May 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah it would!