PDA

View Full Version : 2005 GSXR frame failure @ PPIR

asp_125
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Search didn't find anyone posted yet, but this apparently happened to Team Morse Racing at PPIR

http://1tail.com/2005_GSXR_frame/default.asp

http://www.teammorseracing.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=051505_PPIR

Bertha
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:35 AM
It happened to Dan Sallis of 1tail racing. Team Morse just took a bunch of pics :)

Anonymous
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM
And the "frame breaking before the crash" is most likely BS. I have sent this off to several mechanical engineers, ALL of which have confirmed this was not a fatigue break, but rather a result of the bike slamming into a concrete wall dead on at over 100mph. :roll:

hcr25
Wed May 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM
That is not 1 of our bike.That bike belongs to Dan Sallis who is the owner of
1tail.com. We just took the pictures and posted the on our website.
My crash there was after his.My bike did hit the wall tires first,then it stood up and ghost rode circles down turn 1.My bike had a bent front rotor,clutch lever and very minor scrapes on the bodywork.
mike

asp_125
Wed May 25th, 2005, 01:03 PM
That is not 1 of our bike.That bike belongs to Dan Sallis who is the owner of
1tail.com. We just took the pictures and posted the on our website.
My crash there was after his.My bike did hit the wall tires first,then it stood up and ghost rode circles down turn 1.My bike had a bent front rotor,clutch lever and very minor scrapes on the bodywork.
mike

my bad.

ebazyl
Wed May 25th, 2005, 01:11 PM
And the "frame breaking before the crash" is most likely BS. I have sent this off to several mechanical engineers, ALL of which have confirmed this was not a fatigue break, but rather a result of the bike slamming into a concrete wall dead on at over 100mph. :roll:

Yeah, good call. I think hitting a wall at 100mph is more likely then a brand new frame failing.

RAGrote
Wed May 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Justin Watkins

Just an FYI, I know this guy and he races in Colorado. I looked at the
bike last weekend while I was @ PIR. This guy crashes 2-3 times a
weekend I am told and he says he crashes so often, he enjoys it now. To
just crash once a weekend is good for him. He crashed in turn 1 at PIR
and his bike slid up the banking and impacted the concrete wall @ nearly
100mph. Whether the welds are not good or not is debatable but did it
cause the crash, I seriously doubt it.

Just a week before this guy had a clutch go bad (known issue on the new
bikes) he left his easy up, up, and tied is bike to it. Removed the
clutch and went to town to get a new clutch. The wind picked up the
canopy and drug the bike several feet, getting all kinds of dirt and
crap in the engine cases. He cleaned it out the best he could, put in a
new clutch an off he went only a day or two before he crashed the bike @
PIR.

Maybe there is an issue here but knowing his past and his history, I am
leaning toward the impact breaking the bike. The old bikes used to
bend, they were aluminum, the newer frames are cast, they don't bend,
they break.

Just my .02 cents.

Justin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This was a quote from another forum from Justin from the WMRRA.

Also, Morse racing was pitted at the end of the pits right were the crash occurred and one of the pit crew saw the crash. The frame crack was definitely from hitting the wall. He said the bike came apart and there wasn't 1 piece that wasn't cracked, broken or missing.

Dysco
Wed May 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Good lord.

I heard from the brother of a cousin of a cornerworker that the tail light was thrown 300 feet over the wall off the track property!!1! I heard the dude never even washed his bike! That's probably why he crashes so much!?!

Anonymous
Wed May 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Good lord.

I heard from the brother of a cousin of a cornerworker that the tail light was thrown 300 feet over the wall off the track property!!1! I heard the dude never even washed his bike! That's probably why he crashes so much!?!

:spit: :lol:

Well, the part about crashing and thinking it's fun is true. I dunno about 3 times in a weekend, but he freely admits thinking this stuff is almost comical.

Anonymous
Wed May 25th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I heard from the brother of a cousin of a cornerworker ...Wouldn't the brother of the cousin also be a cousin? :wtf: :lol: :up:

Canuck
Wed May 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
The frame probably broke at the point of impact. BUT.... those are some bad welds. A proper weld should go through the metal. It looks like the joint was not beveled, so penetrating the joint is harder to do.

asp_125
Wed May 25th, 2005, 06:24 PM
True dat. Looks like it was only welded 1/2 way through.