PDA

View Full Version : power commander

grim
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I pulled all of the fairings off of the ninja today so she can get a full makeover paint job.

once I pulled the tail section off I discovered a power commander hidden underneath the right side of the faring!

the seller never told me this was there I honestly don't know a damn thing about power commanders but I've heard alot of people don't recommend them or like them.

can anyone advise if I should leave it or take it off and get the bike tuned?

Bueller
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM
A lot of people who want to get their bike properly tuned buy them and get it professionally tuned.
A lot of people buy them because they are cool and download a generic map that sorta might match their setup and sometimes the bike runs worse.
It should have a "stock" mode that will leave your mapping unchanged so you don't need to remove it.

grim
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I'd be more comfortable with my bike being stock and not fucking with the ICU that and that power commander might explain why my speedo is off by 8mph and it pops a little when i let off the throttle in gear but like I said I don't know anything about them so I dint know what effect they can have on the bike.

Bueller
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM
They only do what they are told to do, they adjust fuel and/or timing according to how they are programed. In stock mode it basically does nothing.
Doesn't have anything to do with speedo

Matty
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM
ninja'd by Dave....

madvlad
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
If your speedo is off then you might be geared. The fact that you have the muzzy pipe and im gonna guess you also have a k&n in there. Might as well tune it and take advantage of it.

grim
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM
If your speedo is off then you might be geared. The fact that you have the muzzy pipe and im gonna guess you also have a k&n in there. Might as well tune it and take advantage of it.

yea I'll taker in once she's done getting pretty I told you I'd get it done quickly lol I waste no time!

madvlad
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Nice bro, she'll be good as new. Who is doing the body work/paint?

grim
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Nice bro, she'll be good as new. Who is doing the body work/paint?

I found this place called chip magic in englewood the dude was cool as hell man he let me take the fairings off at his place so I wouldn't get charged for labor and he's charging me $300 to paint all the fairings the only thing not getting painted is the tank!

grim
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Would you believe i rode this home like this!!!

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/photo.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/photo-1.jpg

cbrjohnny
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM
mummm,,, makes me want to paint!

grim
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
mummm,,, makes me want to paint!

if you do check this place out he said he should be done w my stuff by Thursday at the latest but prob be done on wed if it looks good I'll post a review about it on here!

madvlad
Mon Jul 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Nice dude, hopefully its quality work. Streetfightah ftw! Lol

MetaLord 9
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Quick note on the speedo, most if not all bikes come from the factory with the speedo set high. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a deterrent for speeding or what the actual purpose is, but standard is about 5-10%. Other than a slip-on exhaust (which would have nothing to do with it), mine is completely stock and every time I ride by sign that monitors my speed, I'm consistently about 10% off.

CaneZach
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Ninja'd by Chris regarding the speedo.

grim
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Quick note on the speedo, most if not all bikes come from the factory with the speedo set high. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a deterrent for speeding or what the actual purpose is, but standard is about 5-10%. Other than a slip-on exhaust (which would have nothing to do with it), mine is completely stock and every time I ride by sign that monitors my speed, I'm consistently about 10% off.

Ok thanks for the info so im guessing it would be a waste of my time to try and chase the problem and get it calibrated?

madvlad
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 08:36 AM

Mine is off by 2 mph when I cross those.... and grim I dk if maybe a speedo healer would do the trick (assuming you're geared) but as far as stock I dk if there's a solution for that to be dead on.

Bueller
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM
a speed healer will fix the speedo error if you are worried about it, but I would check to see what your odo error is (they are separate) and see if adjusting your speedo is going to adversely effect your mileage. I would rather not but "error" miles on my bike, makes it easier to sell with lower mileage.

TFOGGuys
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
If your speedo is off then you might be geared.

Or it might just be like EVERY OTHER JAPANESE BIKE EVER BUILT...

Most bikes have 6-9% speedo error from the factory, but you'll find that the odometer is usually within 2%.

grim
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Most bikes have 6-9% speedo error from the factory, but you'll find that the odometer is usually within 2%.

That makes no sense if its a Japanese bike then why doesn't it do math good????

Can you guys do a tune up on a 05 zx6r with a power commander i need one and if so how much?

TFOGGuys
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM
That makes no sense if its a Japanese bike then why doesn't it do math good????

Can you guys do a tune up on a 05 zx6r with a power commander i need one and if so how much?

Yes, we can do a custom map if required.

grim
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, we can do a custom map if required.

pm sent

madvlad
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM

I know they came a bit off of the factory. My R1 is about 2 mph off. That's why I said "might" be geared.

TFOGGuys
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I know they came a bit off of the factory. My R1 is about 2 mph off. That's why I said "might" be geared.

2 mph at 60 is about 3%, which is unusually accurate for a current bike. There are a number of reasons why the manufacturers do this, including inflated performance numbers (Wow, my 600 will go 180mph!!!), drive by sound tests, and preserving the riders' licenses so that the continue to ride (and buy new bikes). I didn't mean to come off as a dick, but it's been a stressful morning....i need to go ride!

mdub
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I found this place called chip magic in englewood ......

chip magic...those guys are good. they have work on some of my stuff.

300 bones, that is very good deal.

grim
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM
chip magic...those guys are good. they have work on some of my stuff.

300 bones, that is very good deal.

I'm about to start a thread on their work