PDA

View Full Version : Chase Vehicles

dm_gsxr
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
We're on vacation and right now in Montana. When we stopped for a break, we saw 20 or so Harley touring bikes start out in formation with lead and tail riders wearing yellow reflecting vests.

And a big pickup hauling an extra long trailer.

I guess if you have bikes that have mechanical issues, you probably need someone following to pick up pieces and riders that fall out.

Carl

laspariahs
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I saw the same thing a couple of times on my trip out to Florida.....

Dietrich_R1
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Chase vehicles are great, especially w/ sport bikes! You don't have to carry luggage.

spdu4ia
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I just laughed that a group of riders are going so slow that a giant truck with a huge trailer can keep up.

Bueller
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Yep 20+ friends out riding motorcyles and having a great time together is made totally gay by them not doing warp speed down the highway and having a support vehicle with them. What the fuck is wrong with them!? They are doing it all wrong!

grim
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Yep 20+ friends out riding motorcyles and having a great time together is made totally gay by them not doing warp speed down the highway and having a support vehicle with them. What the fuck is wrong with them!? They are doing it all wrong!

Yea It's funny when people ride safe, the speed limit, and enjoy themselves its only cool and serious when your going 190 with your balls out!

Ghost
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
The way this summer is going maybe we should require a chase vehicle to load the wrecks into...

grim
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM
The way this summer is going maybe we should require a chase vehicle to load the wrecks into...

Best idea ive heard all season!

modette99
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Yea It's funny when people ride safe, the speed limit, and enjoy themselves its only cool and serious when your going 190 with your balls out!

Do you get wind burned easy that way?

dm_gsxr
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 12:39 PM
There's always someone. :)

Actually I was more on the need for a chase vehicle vs any sort of speed requirements. Certainly I'll do the speed limit when I'm out touring on the 'busa. I don't want to raise the ire of some local Barney.

I pack everything I need on the bike. If I can't carry it, I don't need it. There's only one time in my riding that I needed to find something I didn't have and even that was taken care of by a local welder.

Carl

grim
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Do you get wind burned easy that way?

not if you put a banana hammock on

Xtremjeepn
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have seen two good used for chase vehicles.

Some tour companies will take large groups of foreign tourists(group I met was German) on long motorcycle tours. Th support rig is just that. Support for luggage, medical etc. Bikes are all rentals.

Secondly, when the "wife and kids" want to go on a trip too. The riders ride, and the families tag along in the truck.

dm_gsxr
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I was thinking more like the food guy and his entourage except they ride BMW's.

The tour thing is a good idea though. I didn't think of that.

I just figure that 20 or so guys should be able to carry their gear without having to have a chase vehicle.

Carl

The GECCO
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I just figure that 20 or so guys should be able to carry their gear without having to have a chase vehicle.

Carl

If you're on a long trip, it's nice to have fresh clothes for each day, toiletries, etc. CAN you pack it all onto your bike? Maybe, maybe not, but it sure is a lot easier to have a cage with you.

What's that darn silly boy scout motto again? Something about being prepared....

dm_gsxr
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Sure. I guess if you ride like most cruiser riders. When touring, I wear bicye pants and a compression shirt under my 'stitch. I have a pair or two of jeans and a weeks worth of under garments. I hit the motel every third day camping on the other days. So I have fresh clothes every day, even when out for three weeks. I also have tools, flat kit, electric kit, oil, brake fluid, and everything else I've found I needed.

But that's me being prepared. Check the list in my sig :)

Carl

spdu4ia
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 06:24 PM
well that came out wrong... guess thats what happens when I don't check the forum religiously all day. oops

asp_125
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Chase vehicles.. 'cause someone's gotta carry the beer.

(( LO LO ))
Tue Jul 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I hate to say this, but sportbikes break down all the time as well. I have seen it first hand on MANY rides I have been on through the years. Having a chase vehicle on a ride with a big group is just added insurance, and can come in handy.

Ol'Skool
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I just got back from Missoula Montana and saw a ton of riders. The sport bike riders there wore bonnie covers, backwards baseball caps and goggles but very few helmets. The terrain was spectacular though.

Sean
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 01:17 PM
With that many riders I can see having a chase vehicle, especially if you don't want to be completely self-sufficient. I can easily fit everything I need on my KTM, but I think that being part of a group it would be harder. The food alone for 20+ people is hard to coordinate on bikes, maybe canopy's for such a big group, or whatever. If everyone has to worry/carry their own food, you have 20 bikes doing different things at the end of the day. If it's all in the chase vehicle, everybody just has a good time and doesn't need to worry about it. If they aren't traveling minimally, it would be necessary to have an extra vehicle. For example, I always take a camping stool for someplace to sit at night, but I sure would love a big chair with footrest. I don't see anything wrong with it. They are out riding with a slightly different purpose than others. But I bet they have a ton of fun.

Ghost
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joking aside, last time I did Deal's Gap my buddy's father tagged along in his International Western Hauler (http://www.westernhauler.com/international.html) which we used as a mobile pit-stop. We could fit all three bikes on the back and chill out in the cab when we weren't riding, made the trip out and back amazingly comfortable and easy...

Generic Pic:

http://www.westernhauler.com/PhotoAlbum27/int1.jpg

Xtremjeepn
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I wish I had a chase vehicle for the 100 miles of crazy wind in Oregon on my last tour. It was such a strong freaky wind that I would have gladly put the bike on. Trailer and had someone drive me through it.

The Black Knight
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I hate to say this, but sportbikes break down all the time as well. I have seen it first hand on MANY rides I have been on through the years. Having a chase vehicle on a ride with a big group is just added insurance, and can come in handy.
exactly!! who else but them end up in guardrails, over cooking corners, cramming the bike up under a tree and or just typical highway crashes. :squid:

Not saying packs of Goldwing's or Cruisers won't have their issues, but of all the rides I've ever been on where there's an incident that has happened. It's sportbikes involved.

Bueller
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Say it isn't so, sportbikes are the elite, the favored few. It's not like any retard off the street can just buy one. You have to have the right creds, the might to be right!

All else shall be humbled and humiliated by our righteous forum taunting.

Apache62
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM
It's good to have a chase vehicle and a trailer......never know with bikes

WolFeYeZ
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 05:00 PM

8 out of your 10 posts in 12 minutes. Hmmm. :harrrrr:

Apache62
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I type fast

Sean
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I type fast
What's for sale?

Apache62
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM
The Katana that I'm riding to Bike Night....dont want it in my garage any more

Xtremjeepn
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 09:52 PM

Most bikes tend to be more reliable than most chase rigs. You must be riding junk.

Wrider
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Most bikes tend to be more reliable than most chase rigs. You must be riding junk.

Or you're driving junk for a chase rig.

brennahm
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Apparently Xtremjeepn carries a spare tire on his bike.

Ghost
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The solution was already posted in another thread:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D6tDLaEfmYc/TjBqN5VroiI/AAAAAAAAsfk/9EQm-3dH-q0/s1600/img_5213.jpg

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41468