PDA

View Full Version : Pridmore STAR School at HPR in Jeopardy

The GECCO
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hello all, just a heads up to anyone who may be intending to sign up for the STAR school who hasn't yet - they are well short of the number of signups needed to hold the school and are considering canceling. I would hate for people who intend to attend to lose their opportunity simply because they procrastinated. So, if you were waiting to sign up, please do it soon otherwise they may pull the plug.

THX

spideyrdr
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Glenn, do you know if we'd be able to camp at the track either Sunday or Monday night? I may sign up after this MRA round but am still working on logistics.

The GECCO
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM
No, sorry, there will not be overnight access inside the paddock. You would be able to stay outside the gates, but not in the paddock.

Ninja2
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
No camping...?! :(

Do you happen to know when STAR will make a final decision on whether to cancel or not? I want to hold off with making accommodations arrangements till then.

The GECCO
Wed Jul 27th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Probably about this time next week

Clarkie
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I just chatted with one of the peeps from STAR school and got the straight skinny, right from the top: they need NINE more people signed up - EACH of the two days - to make the school worthwhile. If they don't get the numbers by Monday 1 Aug, the school will be cancelled. I'm not a businessman (or businesswoman), but I can't imagine that bodes well for them planning any repeat visits to CO in the near future.

I know how spoiled CO folks are with relatively easy track access and lots of track days. Let me dispell ANY rumors that this is "just another track day" - it's NOT. The skills and tools you learn from JP and his instructors are absolutely first rate. Don't take my word for it - he has people like Josh Hayes, Roger Hayden and Steve Rapp show up to guest instruct, among others. Yeah, I KNOW it's more expensive than a track day - because it's NOT a track day - it is a skills training course. If you go to this school and don't learn something, you weren't trying hard enough or paying close enough attention. http://forums.mra-racing.org/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Even if you can only go for one day - sign UP!! Though I will say from (multiple) personal experience - two IS better than one. And no, I'm not on payroll LOL I'm just a firm believer in the skills. AND I want this school to be coming back to CO when I move back there in a few years http://forums.mra-racing.org/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif Bring a friend! Bring two friends! Just hurry up and sign up! And if you can't or won't go, spread the word!

steamboat27
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Any news if Star school is still coming to HPR I signed up for both days. I hope they dont cancel it

fe911
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 05:09 PM
I also signed up, they said they needed three more to do it. And they're number is really low because they usually get quite a few last minute registrations.

Clarkie
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
My wife just spoke with Nita from STAR School. As of today, they still need at least 5 more (from the above post 3 more?) people to sign up for the school to avoid cancelling it. If you're one of those folks who likes to wait until the last minute (like her! http://forums.mra-racing.org/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif ) I can assure you - the last minute is HERE!!

For those who think it's "too much for a track day" - it's NOT a track day - it is a SCHOOL. You learn a lot of great skills that you'll never pick up by just going out and doing lap after lap. In fact, you could be doing more harm than good if you keep practicing bad habits and reinforcing them. Practice does NOT make perfect - practice makes "permanent."

These skills aren't just for racers, so if you have some street riding friends, this school is for them too. No track bike required and prepping a street bike takes about 10 minutes. I hope to hear about more folks taking advantage of this, because it sure is a hell of an opportunity to learn from some of the best in the business - and it's a damn sight cheaper than Code's school or Yamaha Champions - both are good schools but this is arguably a lot cheaper and it's closer to home http://forums.mra-racing.org/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Ghost
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'll sign up if someone else pays the bill :p

rybo
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
I got confirmation from Nita at STAR that the school is on, but they are still short a few people to actually make it work financially.

So - they still have some space available - at this point you should sign up because the instructor to student ratio is pretty favorable. I'm looking forward to attending, learning and enjoying a day at the track as a "participant"

S

Ninja2
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Great news! Thanks to Scott and Clarkie for the follow up.

I am glad to hear the instructor/student ratio is favorable because they might need to assign a poor soul to me, seeing that I am the only non-racer out there, and, in addition, pretty much the slowest person ever on the track! :oops:

Oh well. Looking forward to it!!!! I'm still planning on getting a room, so if anyone wants to share a room (female, please), let me know.

*KEN*
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
other non-racers have signed up already.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
I am glad to hear the instructor/student ratio is favorable because they might need to assign a poor soul to me, seeing that I am the only non-racer out there, and, in addition, pretty much the slowest person ever on the track! :oops:

Rabea I wouldn't expect the class to be all racers. There will be plenty of street riders. You'll do fine.

OUTLAWD
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:34 PM
What Jim said...

last year there were more street riders than racers FWIW

acrovixen
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks to the folks who signed up - so happy this school is still going. Just wish I could BE there :) Next year... Have a great time - and be sure to take a notebook!

Clarkie
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
It isnt so much as a 'race school' as a teaching school, the STAR instructors will help figure out your weaknesses and what you want to work on. Jason and the instructors will make it happen, the instructors are there to help you idenitfy them. There are a lot of 'racers' who go there just to do a track day and try and 'go faster' which is the wrong attitude to have, it is more about exploring the different ways to go faster or ride smoother (which is also faster).

You may want to work on your braking, not braking later, but smoother, or how you can work on the direction you have trouble with. Everyone has a strong and a weak direction when taking corners, I have always been more tense in a right turn compared to a left turn on both the street and track, maybe from learnig to race on counter clockwise track in Australia, not sure. The STAR School intructor I was working with identified what I was doing and we worked on fixing it.

In the classroom sessions someone may ask a question you hadnt thought of and you are "oh yeah what about that" so you get to learn so much from other people's experiences. Jason will break the process of riding a bike down to not only braking, turning and accelerating but the processes inbetween.

Think of the track as a section of road that doesnt change, and there are no cars, trucks or bikes coming the other direction. There is no better organisation in the country that will give you what the STAR School will give you in value, results, and fun.

acrovixen
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:16 PM
:rock: Uh, yeah.... What my rock star hubby said. :D Thanks Clarkie!

I've been to the school 4 times now and would go once a year as time/money/location allow. It's an amazing value and I always learn something new. Professional and fun group and an incredible value.

The GECCO
Wed Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hello all, the official word from STAR is that the school IS ON! If you were on the fence about attending now is the time to get signed up!

blaircsf
Wed Aug 3rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
I signed up over the weekend and am looking forward to it. I'm glad they got enough people to make it happen, hopefully they get enough to make it worth it.

I'm not a racer either, but I'm guessing the instruction will not only make me a better rider, but a faster one on the track also.