PDA

View Full Version : Fork settings?

LQ3
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Do i need to reset the settings on my forks just had fork oil changed? 05 R1.

dragos13
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:31 AM
If the previous fork oil was really old, your compression and rebound might be too slow with the new fluid. Did you just put in standard 5w? Any idea what was in there before? I would suggest riding it and seeing how it feels. You can also push down on the front and watch how fast it returns. If it over extends on the rebound and oscillates before settling, slow down your rebound. If it takes forever to extend back up, speed up rebound.

As for compression damping, you will probably have to ride it to see how it feels. When going over bumps, do you feel the bump hit hard in the handlebars. That would be too stiff on your high speed compression.

Your sag settings won't be affected by fluid change so preload shouldn't need adjusting.

I'm no expert so anyone correct me if any info here is wrong. This is just what I have learned from setting up my racebikes.

LQ3
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
First time the fork oil has been changed so pretty old. It's a track bike now since I crashed last year. I think it got change with yamaha OEM oil. I have rode up and the street a few times and braking hard to see if it felt different, but didn't notice to much of difference. Going to HPR tomorrow so will do changes there. Thanks for the info.

matt2778
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Irdave. He's the man.

dragos13
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 06:01 AM
If its a track bike, then I would say continue to experiment with the settings. On my R6, it took me two years to get to a decent point for HPR. Then, you make changes for other tracks like PPIR and Pueblo. Keep a record of EVERYTHING you do to the front that way if it gets worse you can always revert back to your baseline settings.

If you want to learn how to adjust the settings yourself without having to pay someone, go out and buy "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt. Its a great book that explains suspension on a beginner level of understanding. This way, when something feels bad on the bike you atleast know where to start and what each adjust does, as well as how it affects other areas of your bike.

If you have more questions let me know :)