PDA

View Full Version : Engine trouble

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Help me diagnose an engine issue, if you would? Here is all of the info I know leading up to the temporary death of my 05 KTM950Adv. The engine is a carbed V-twin.

- Bikes was running fine, a little weak because we were at 11,800 ft, but not bad.

- I drop it on a steep uphill. Get it back upright, give it a few minutes because it flooded and she starts up. Not strongly, but starts.

- About 10 min later I drop it again (the trail was getting stupid-hard). Get it back upright, let it sit for a few minutes, and no starting.

- Keeping waiting (thinking it's flooded) and nothing. Eventually the battery seems like it's going to die from trying to start it to many times.

- Thinking it's electrical now, I try to jump it off of another bike. No luck. But it seems like there is power to the bike. The dash lights up fine.

- Get it to 30+ mph downhill to bump start it (these bikes need serious speed to bump start, it turns over but only runs for about 1-3 seconds before dying. I do this multiple times (It was a big hill). Sometimes turning the throttle, sometimes no throttle, sometimes choke, nothing. And what's odd is that there was no strong smell of gas. At least not that any of us could smell.

- It kind of seemed like the more times I tried to bump start it, the shorter the interval of engaging the engine would be.

- Tried to start it last night and the power would come on fine but when I turned the key the starter would click but the engine wouldn't try and turn over.

At first I was thinking it was the fuel pump (a common issue with these bikes) but now I'm wondering if it's something with the spark plugs since it's not firing at all. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated. :cheers:

rybo
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Carbs?

Perhaps there is a stuck float from dropping it that's preventing gas from getting to the engine?

Thats a first guess

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Sounds like fuel starvation to me. Fuel pump and filter shouldn't be hard to check.

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I didn't know that carbs could get stuck? It didn't fall that hard. But I'll def check it out.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM
replacing spark plugs are easiest and cheapest 1st step.

check for spark, fuel supply to carbs, compression test (stupid simple and rules out any mechanical issues), and then carbs themselves.

Bueller
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:07 AM
replacing spark plugs are easiest and cheapest 1st step.

+1 fuel fouled plugs will act like that.

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Plugs wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm the third owner of the bike and I have no idea if they have ever been changed. Good idea. :up:

Matrix
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Here's an idea...stop dropping it! :doublefinger:

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Here's an idea...stop dropping it! :doublefinger:Let's keep the resolutions realistic, shall we? :slap:

Zach929rr
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:40 AM
This sounds like SOP for KTMs. :dunno:

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM
This sounds like SOP for KTMs. :dunno:
The bike does require a bit of maintenance (which I'm slowly learning how to do) but I love this bike. It's perfect for what I want to do. Sure, it'd be nice to have a 450 and a track bike also, but for an all-around bike, life doesn't get better! Worth all of the time spent doing maintenance.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I agree with Dirk. Check your plugs but it sure sounds like fuel starvation.

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
So I've been reading...I mean working hard at work, and it sounds like the plugs are a pain in the ass to change, but when doing so, people recommend syncing the carbs. Questions:

1. Are NGK plugs the standard? That seems to be all that pops up when I search.

2. I'm almost at 10k miles, should I try and sync the carbs since I have to remove them to get to the plugs (pending I get it running). Should I pick up one of the tools in this thread? link (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32443&highlight=CARB+SYNC) Or should I just take it to a shop for something like that?

TransNone13
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Is the KTM direct coil ignition? I have sportbikes, but I've always used NGK or Denso iridium plugs. Although, be forewarned if you purchased the NGK premium plugs it cost me like $15/$20 per from a shop.

Aracheon
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:20 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Is the KTM direct coil ignition? :dunno: I am inclined to say no, because that sounds fancy, but I have no idea.

TransNone13
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Like, is there a fancy looking thing that plugs into the spark plug or is just a standard plug cap etc...

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
NGK plugs are OE in 90+% of bikes manufactured world wide. The plugs in your bike SHOULD have dual ground electrodes, but are otherwise unremarkable. If you let me know year and exact model, i can tell you if there's an optional "upgraded" plug that's applicable..

Edit: NM, looked at the info in your sig... The correct plug is NGK CR8EK. I have one :banghead:, more coming in tomorrow

bodhizafa
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM

You should have seen the trail....with a 500lb bike :wtf:

rybo
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Sean! I found the answer to your question in another post! Here you go!

Solution: set server NIC to negotiate at the same speed that the switch port is set to

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
In light of plugs being a PITA to change:

check fuel flow to the carbs first.

change plugs because they are relatively cheap and part of preventative maintenance.

Do a simple carb cleaning as it's part of preventative maintenance and you pulled them anyway.

sync carbs on reinstall because it's part of normal tuning and generally recommended when pulling and reinstalling carbs.

ride your ass off and enjoy dropping your bike because that's what it's for.

brennahm
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Why would carb cleaning be part of regular maintenance?

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I think the root problem is the nut between the seat and the handlebar...

:lol:

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Edit: NM, looked at the info in your sig... The correct plug is NGK CR8EK. I have one :banghead:, more coming in tomorrowIf I can find a time to make it to Golden, I'll give you a heads up.

You should have seen the trail....with a 500lb bike :wtf:Jay should know. He helped me push the bike uphill, multiple times, to level ground! :applause:

Solution: set server NIC to negotiate at the same speed that the switch port is set toThat was obviously the first thing I checked, or did, or whatever the hell that means. But yeah, I did it.

In light of plugs being a PITA to change:

check fuel flow to the carbs first.

change plugs because they are relatively cheap and part of preventative maintenance.

Do a simple carb cleaning as it's part of preventative maintenance and you pulled them anyway.

sync carbs on reinstall because it's part of normal tuning and generally recommended when pulling and reinstalling carbs.

ride your ass off and enjoy dropping your bike because that's what it's for.From what I read, the plugs are underneath the carbs. So if I'm going to do one, I'll just do the other too.

I think the root problem is the nut between the seat and the handlebar...Which foot is the front brake? :harrrrr:

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Why would carb cleaning be part of regular maintenance?

Shit builds up over time. He said he had to pull the carbs to change the plugs so why wouldn't you crack the bowls and inspect/clean/check float level as part of routine maintenance while they are off?

you know, rather than put the carbs back on just to find out that it still won't run because the cause of the problem turned out to be carburation.

EDIT: sorry, went back and read post 13. He didn't specify that they had to be removed - just that the peanut gallery recommends sync as long as you're in there. However, if it were me, I'd clean and inspect as long as I was there for the same reason mentioned in this post.

MetaLord 9
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I may have misread, but if you're turning the bike on and hitting the starter to only hear clicks, first thing I'd do is recharge the battery. It doesn't take a ton of juice to run the lights & instruments, but it take significantly more juice to run the starter.

You could've flooded it on the trail from trying to start it (which could also lead to fouling the plugs) and killed the battery in the process.

Try starting with a fully charged battery first, THAT is the easiest/cheapest thing to try.

Sean
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Try starting with a fully charged battery first, THAT is the easiest/cheapest thing to try.I think you're right, I should give it a solid charge. I have my doubts that it will work because we tried jumping it on the trail from another bike, and it didn't work. But it sure doesn't hurt to knock one factor out of the equation.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/cat_FACEPALM.jpg