PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes it's not that hot!

Shea
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Big shocker, global warming was a fraud (well, over-hyped anyway):

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html

Baby Al Gore is crying...

/flamesuit on

Devaclis
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Bear pig man

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Suck it, Al Gore! :321:

TransNone13
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Weird, science trumps politics....

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Global climate change is real. But it's not caused by man. Ever hear of the ice age? The article has the term "alarmist" 13 times. Only conspiracy theorists would give the author any credibility after that train wreak. ;)

TransNone13
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Key phrase there is CLIMATE CHANGE... I don't know why people assume everything will be peachy and constant. The earth is dynamic, hell over 50% of the heat in the core of the earth is caused by radioactive decay. That won't last forever, we'll be extinct (on this planet at least) at some point.

spdu4ia
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
So does this mean its going to rain this weekend?

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM

:spit:

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Looks like the web site for the journal is getting pounded. When it clears up, I'll read the paper and post my thoughts.

Vellos
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
This isn't one of those Prius are worse than Hummer articles that people get a boner over before checking the sources is it? Nor do I care how much heat is escaping from the atmosphere if all our glaciers are melting up anyway. :roll:

Darth Do'Urden
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Global climate change is real. But it's not caused by man. Ever hear of the ice age?

That's exactly what I've been telling my wife for years now.

Key phrase there is CLIMATE CHANGE... I don't know why people assume everything will be peachy and constant. The earth is dynamic, hell over 50% of the heat in the core of the earth is caused by radioactive decay. That won't last forever, we'll be extinct (on this planet at least) at some point.

+1
This world is in a constant state of decay. But it was also designed to take care of itself for as long as it has to. Personally, I have more faith in the God Who created this wonderful rock to have designed it in such a manner as to deal with whatever His other creation (US) can throw at it.

That said, I'm all about being a good steward of the resources we've been given, but the whole "mankind is killing the planet" rhetoric is asinine. And apparently it's also scientifically WRONG.

No crap, eh. I wanna ride this weekend (sigh...AFTER work).

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM
This isn't one of those Prius are worse than Hummer articles that people get a boner over before checking the sources is it? Nor do I care how much heat is escaping from the atmosphere if all our glaciers are melting up anyway. :roll:

65 million years ago, the dinosaurs were in a total panic about Global Cooling. Then a big f*cking rock impacted on the west shores of the Caribbean. Glaciers once covered more than 90% of North America. Climate changes.

I`m Batman
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Is it just me or does that article just basically repeats itself in just about every paragraph?

Matty
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
patiently waiting for Dirk's reply.

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 02:55 PM
patiently waiting for Dirk's reply.

Haven't yet been able to get to the publisher's site so I can read the original paper.

TFOGGuys
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Abstract: The sensitivity of the climate system to an imposed radiative imbalance remains
the largest source of uncertainty in projections of future anthropogenic climate change.
Here we present further evidence that this uncertainty from an observational perspective is
largely due to the masking of the radiative feedback signal by internal radiative forcing,
probably due to natural cloud variations. That these internal radiative forcings exist and
likely corrupt feedback diagnosis is demonstrated with lag regression analysis of satellite
and coupled climate model data, interpreted with a simple forcing-feedback model. While
the satellite-based metrics for the period 2000–2010 depart substantially in the direction of
lower climate sensitivity from those similarly computed from coupled climate models, we
find that, with traditional methods, it is not possible to accurately quantify this discrepancy
in terms of the feedbacks which determine climate sensitivity. It is concluded that
atmospheric feedback diagnosis of the climate system remains an unsolved problem, due
primarily to the inability to distinguish between radiative forcing and radiative feedback in
satellite radiative budget observations.
Keywords: climate; sensitivity; temperature; feedback; clouds; warming; CERES; models

I can email the pdf to you, pm me with your email address...

Trainwreck
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM
I really can't believe the amount of people that totally disregard the fact that on a planetary stand point, we are CRAWLING out of an ice age. Don't look at the facts, just take a blind leap of faith into the unknown because some retard that "Invented the internet" said.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM
No crap, eh. I wanna ride this weekend (sigh...AFTER work).

You back on 2 again? Saaaweeet!

Shea
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 04:30 PM
That the adherents of the anthropogenic global warming faith keep changing their position to accommodate ANY change in the climate as proof of their beliefs, raises the critical thinking hairs on the back of my neck. The earth warms up, it's global warming. The earth cools down, it's global warming (Al Gore made the connection to the heavy snows this winter to the earth getting hotter...seriously). Burning coal is evil, wrong and will all cause us to die a horribly warm death, unless of course that coal is burned in China:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2011297/Coal-burning-China-cools-planet.html

All this reinforces my notion that this belief system is less about saving the planet and more about controlling people's lives for the enrichment of a select few.

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I can email the pdf to you, pm me with your email address...

I was just able to download it. Off to read it now...

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Ok, that's a pretty damning analysis of the various atmosphere models (see figure 3). Basically, the observations show that the Earth loses more energy more quickly than the models predict, by a significant amount. It will be interesting to see if the observations hold up to scrutiny, but if they do, the modelers have their work cut out for them.

In the many discussions we've had on this topic over the years, I have always pointed out the incredible difficulty of modeling something as complex as the Earth's atmosphere. The proponents of anthropogenic climate change have not given proper weight to the uncertainties in the models. I have also said that I think that this topic will ultimately end up being a black eye on science itself because of the undue influence of politics, amplified by sloppy (or even fraudulent) work by a large segment of the people engaged in climate research. This paper only reinforces that belief. Yes, the Earth's climate is changing. That is what it has always done. But anyone who claims to know accurately why it is changing is either deluded or has an agenda.

Matty
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
In the many discussions we've had on this topic over the years, I have always pointed out the incredible difficulty of modeling something as complex as the Earth's atmosphere. The proponents of anthropogenic climate change have not given proper weight to the uncertainties in the models. I have also said that I think that this topic will ultimately end up being a black eye on science itself because of the undue influence of politics, amplified by sloppy (or even fraudulent) work by a large segment of the people engaged in climate research. This paper only reinforces that belief. Yes, the Earth's climate is changing. That is what it has always done. But anyone who claims to know accurately why it is changing is either deluded or has an agenda.

Thank you!

modette99
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Was it not like the 60' or 70's when it was said we were in Global Cooling and would freeze to death!!!! LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

DFab
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 10:02 AM
But anyone who claims to know accurately why it is changing is either deluded or has an agenda.

I just want to point out that this applies to both sides of the debate.

TFOGGuys
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 10:46 AM

True. It may just be that the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster) turned on his steam vaporizer to help clear his Noodly Nostrils...

dirkterrell
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM

But the gist of the political side of the argument is "should we do anything about it?" One side says the warming is caused by humans and we should undertake actions with enormous economic effects to reverse it. The other says that there is no observational evidence, only models (and flawed ones as the paper under discussion shows), to support the claims that the warming is primarily human caused and therefore these economic actions are questionable. The observations of today's temperature conditions are not all all out of the ordinary compared to those of times in the past, so Occam's Razor leads us to the conclusion that what is happening is natural.

I have always asked people who support the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis to show me observations that show that humans are clearly the cause of warming. In a discussion that erupted here a couple of years ago (and unfortunately got taken out in the server crash), I was told that the Vostok ice cores were such a data set. So, I looked at them and found nothing of the sort. The claim was that the rate at which the Earth is currently warming is abnormal. Here is what you find when you test that hypothesis:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/gw_temp_derivative.gif

Those are "instantaneous" warming rates and show no such abnormality. Then it was claimed that it was necessary to look at warming rates over a longer period like a century, so I did that:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/images/gw_temp_derivative_centuries.gif

Again, nothing unusual about the current state of affairs. We know that the Earth was significantly warmer in the past, well before the arrival of large-scale anthropogenic CO2 emissions. The simplest assumption at this point is that the current warming is natural.

Zanatos
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hurray! Since Global Warming is fake, now I can pollute and waste as much as I want. No more recycling or energy conservation for me! To Hell with the environment! Woo hoo!

Vellos
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Carbon dioxide is a proven greenhouse gas, it's not hard for basic science to test which elements absorb infrared light. It's also a naturally emitted gas and in the past when global temperatures were high so were the levels of carbon dioxide. So yes the planet's temperatures do naturally fluctuate, but the global warming concept is that if we add unnatural means of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere then we are the ones changing the atmosphere at a rapid rate. Among many other agenda-based problems, I think the most concerning is that most animal species can only adapt to 2ºC changes per year, and if we were to cause the average temperatures to raise more than that per year we could suffer the repercussions of mass extinctions in the animal kingdom.

As far as the China coal power plants "not causing global warming" theory - that one is pretty easy to answer. Burning coal emits carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas. Burning sulfur, an agent inside coal, produces a global coolant. Sulfur in the atmosphere is also a serious toxin, causing effects such as acid rain and other environmental damages. Back in the 20th century the United States stopped using high sulfur coal (2.5% - 4% content) because of its pollution, and out of that came the study of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. China, being China, uses high sulfur coal because it's cheaper and thus emits pollution along with the global coolant.

Ghost
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 11:08 AM
The problem is more along the lines of Pascal's Wager than Occam's Razor since we have incomplete data. I can't set up a nice 4-square on here, but the gist is the following points of the Square:

1-Do Nothing, Nothing Happens, No Problem
2-Do Nothing, Anthropogenic Warming Happens, Problems Occur
3-Do Something, Nothing Happens, Money Spent
4-Do Something, Prevent Anthropogenic Warming, Money Well Spent

Of these four choices, #1 is what everyone's hoping for, but that's the bad risk if it turns out that anthropogenic warming is true.

Spending money now to possibly/potentially reduce an impact isn't a negative. Even if it doesn't affect warming, it's reducing pollution which surely isn't a bad thing based on air quality and acid rain and ground water contamination reasons alone. Even if they don't contribute to anthropogenic warming, pollutants are pollutants, and reducing them is a good end in itself.

As to the costs incurred, you pay for insurance in the hopes of never needing it, paying for reductive measures is along the same lines. Maybe they'll never be needed, but if they are, it's better to have paid the costs when you could instead of bearing the full price of failing to act later.

Also, don't forget that every polluting industry that has to pay to offset or reduce their emissions is paying someone else--it's not like it's "lost" money as it goes either to the companies making scrubbers or alternative energy solutions, etc.

So, it may cost GM or Coal Company X money to reduce their emissions, but that money goes back into the economy somehow. Corporations don't want to spend money that could reduce their profits by any margin, so they will play up the "dire consequences" of forcing them to be cleaner, but it's not necessarily true. And, even if it does affect their bottom line, they're the polluters, they're responsible for their cleanup.

dirkterrell
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Carbon dioxide is a proven greenhouse gas, it's not hard for basic science to test which elements absorb infrared light.

Correct.

It's also a naturally emitted gas and in the past when global temperatures were high so were the levels of carbon dioxide.

Also correct. Is one the result of the other? Were CO2 levels high because of the high temperature? Were temperatures high because of CO2? Were their increases due to some other factor and thus unrelated to one another? This is where "basic science" starts getting complex and chaotic. (And I use "chaotic" in the sense of sensitivity to initial conditions in non-linear systems, e.g. a global climate system.) There are many parameters in global climate models and we don't understand them all very well, especially how they feed back on each other. Chaotic systems can often times produce results that seem nonsensical at first.

So yes the planet's temperatures do naturally fluctuate, but the global warming concept is that if we add unnatural means of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere then we are the ones changing the atmosphere at a rapid rate.

Changing in terms of what, CO2? No argument there. Global mean temperature? I have seen no unambiguous observational evidence of that. I welcome your providing such evidence.

Among many other agenda-based problems, I think the most concerning is that most animal species can only adapt to 2ºC changes per year, and if we were to cause the average temperatures to raise more than that per year we could suffer the repercussions of mass extinctions in the animal kingdom.

A gloal temperature change of 2C per year? That would be a phenomenal and unprecedented change. Where are you getting that number from?

dirkterrell
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
3-Do Something, Nothing Happens, Money Spent
Spending money now to possibly/potentially reduce an impact isn't a negative.

When you're talking about half a trillion dollars a year in increased taxes (source (http://www.technologyreview.com/business/22247/)) just in the US, it certainly is. When you have no guarantee that other nations on the rise economically whose populations dwarf ours will play along, it certainly is. Energy is the fundamental thing that drives quality of life.

Spending money to ensure against potential hazards always involves a risk-benefit analysis. We are not at this point able to truly do that. That is why research needs to continue and it needs to be done honestly and driven by the scientific process, not hysteria whipped up by politicians who excel at that kind of bullshit.

Vellos
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Sorry I stated that wrong, should have re-checked the articles. If average global temperatures were to rise 2ºC from the pre-industrial average it would be too much for many animal species to adapt to in such a short time. 1 out of 10 species could go extinct, and possibly more from the repercussions in the food chain. You can find many articles on this topic and choose your preferred sources.

There are visible signs of global warming. Severe weather is pretty obvious. Doesn't matter on the season either, and yes naysayers - climate change can make it snow harder. Remember NYC just last year? Also since the 1970s tropical storms have been increasing in severity and duration. Even the flooding in the East this year and last are caused by greater warm updrafts. If you want a larger and full explanation of this I can do so, sources are NOAA.

dirkterrell
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Sorry I stated that wrong, should have re-checked the articles. If average global temperatures were to rise 2ºC from the pre-industrial average it would be too much for many animal species to adapt to in such a short time. 1 out of 10 species could go extinct, and possibly more from the repercussions in the food chain. You can find many articles on this topic and choose your preferred sources.

I can't address the claim if you don't provide your sources.

There are visible signs of global warming. Severe weather is pretty obvious. Doesn't matter on the season either, and yes naysayers - climate change can make it snow harder.

Well, even if that is true, it says nothing about whether the changes are anthropogenic.

Remember NYC just last year? Also since the 1970s tropical storms have been increasing in severity and duration.

How is the "severity" of a hurricane measured in these data? According to a recent paper (http://coaps.fsu.edu/%7Emaue/tropical/2011GL047711-pip.pdf) in Geophysical Research Letters:

Tropical cyclone accumulated cyclone energy (ACE) has exhibited strikingly large global interannual variability during the past 40-years. In the pentad since 2006, Northern Hemisphere and global tropical cyclone ACE has decreased dramatically to the lowest levels since the late 1970s. Additionally, the frequency of tropical cyclones has reached a historical low.

TFOGGuys
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Unless is is backed up by repeatable, verifiable data, supposition and hypotheses concerning the anthropogenic origins of climate change are OPINION, not science. As Dirk mentioned, the sheer volume of data and the complexities of the climatic system make singling out a given factor all but impossible, to wit:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/PiratesVsTemp%28en%29.svg/800px-PiratesVsTemp%28en%29.svg.png

The influence of the current upwards trend in the number of pirates off of the Somali coast has yet to be determined....

derekm
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
its raining men over here!

Vellos
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I can't address the claim if you don't provide your sources.

Here (http://tinyurl.com/3wlfu2u) you go.

And Jim. It's called correlation, not opinion. :roll:

You guys have fun with this thread, I'm out.

dirkterrell
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Here (http://tinyurl.com/3wlfu2u) you go.

You guys have fun with this thread, I'm out.

Lame, but predictable.

GaribaldiCU
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Something drilled into me by many of my best teachers/professors over the years: correlation does not equal causation. Just sayin. :horse:

dm_gsxr
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
http://www.schelin.org/ikonboard/smilies/globalwarming.jpg

dirkterrell
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 10:16 AM
Also correct. Is one the result of the other? Were CO2 levels high because of the high temperature? Were temperatures high because of CO2? Were their increases due to some other factor and thus unrelated to one another? This is where "basic science" starts getting complex and chaotic. (And I use "chaotic" in the sense of sensitivity to initial conditions in non-linear systems, e.g. a global climate system.) There are many parameters in global climate models and we don't understand them all very well, especially how they feed back on each other. Chaotic systems can often times produce results that seem nonsensical at first.

Some recent activity relevant to this thread:

Or, as an increasing body of research is suggesting, it may be that the climate is responding to higher concentrations of carbon dioxide in ways that had not been properly understood before. This possibility, if true, could have profound significance both for climate science and for environmental and social policy.http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21574461-climate-may-be-heating-up-less-response-greenhouse-gas-emissions

j0ker
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 11:11 AM
James Taylor is a known science and environment troll for big business. Take a look at his "alarmist" wording in every article he's ever written.

Paycheck by Opec, Koch and Cargill

Global climate change is very real.

Ghosty
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 12:22 PM
Good discussion and valid points from both sides in this thread I think. I stay out of it because whatever every intelligent person writes sounds correct, hahaa. I'm happy to see FINALLY that at least the anti-warming side has accepted that it exists, and that the argument is now only centered on "why" (human-caused or natural cycle). Too bad it had to take melted glaciers to prove that point.

Personally I like one of Ghost's points that doing nothing is a dangerous bullshit copout. I understand that China and India aren't pulling their fair share, but that doesn't mean they aren't adding to it. Just because it's "not fair" that the U.S. should shell out money to lower emissions, doesn't mean pollution magically disappears. That's terrible logic.

And I also agree this author is a crony for big polluters. I can't say which is "more correct", no one can, but if given only two choices, every time, I'd take the side of climate-change scientists over the big-polluter corporate bankrolled people. In the last decade+ I've heard more compelling arguments from the global-warming side, than I have from the other side that only wants to PROTECT POLLUTERS. That's just me, so of course for now, I'll lean more towards human cause.

People like to think that humans as a species can't have effect on such a huge scale. Hopefully no one here is that daft and ignorant. Just look at the miles-wide whirpools of plastic trash in various oceans. Look at what we did to our ozone layer in the 80's, and ALSO how we pretty much FIXED it. Yep, humans can actually do shit (bad or good) on a global scale. We've already proven it.

dirkterrell
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 09:18 PM
Global climate change is very real.

Sure, it's been happening pretty much since the Earth formed. The question is what the cause(s) is(are), and whether humanity is a large enough source of that change to warrant a huge restructuring of our economies around it. The fact that the dire predictions made in the IPCC reports based on climate models have not matched the observations does not bode well for the proponents of such models.

And, being a scientist, I would prefer to discuss the article and the merits of the details therein rather than dismiss them because they come from a certain source.

dirkterrell
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 09:25 PM
And I also agree this author is a crony for big polluters. I can't say which is "more correct", no one can, but if given only two choices, every time, I'd take the side of climate-change scientists over the big-polluter corporate bankrolled people.

Note that he is referencing the work of climate scientists and presenting the arguments of both sides.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun Mar 31st, 2013, 09:37 PM
I f'n love this thread.

bulldog
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Can they freakin bring back REAL asthma inhalers then...and not these lame no CFC inhalers to save the ozone!!!!

madvlad
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 08:42 AM
Well we are raping mother earth and abusing it, wasting resources and turning everything green into pavement cause business is more important than survival but hey who's counting lol...

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 08:51 AM
As long as I can still race a motorcycle, fuck the earth

Ezzzzy1
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
All to often humans forget that we live in such a peaceful time in world history.

That said, there is no way with all the facts that the increased amount of humans and their byproducts that we are in some way fueling the process.

madvlad
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
As long as I can still race a motorcycle, fuck the earth

Like I said who is counting? :D :lol: oh and +1 here, it'll end someday might as well enjoy it while it lasts and then they deploy wall-e and shit

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM
65 million years ago, the dinosaurs were in a total panic about Global Cooling. Then a big f*cking rock impacted on the west shores of the Caribbean. Glaciers once covered more than 90% of North America. Climate changes.
Bwahahaha! Sad thing is, Al gore and all his libtard fearmongers are strolling to the bank with all kinds of $$, and we've had laws and regulations put in place that we have to deal with and are costing us money because of these assholes.

So, all you here and elsewhere that believed in it, you can go wash the egg off yer faces.......:twisted:

dirkterrell
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
Well, I see that last post didn't generate anything above the usual name calling. Let's see what this does.

About a month ago, I saw a story on the CNN web site about a new study of temperature proxies with the title "Global warming is epic, long-term study says" (link (http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/08/world/world-climate-change/index.html?iref=allsearch)). Right off the bat, I saw an interesting claim:

Global warming has propelled Earth's climate from one of its coldest decades since the last ice age to one of its hottest -- in just one century.

A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years, said climatologist Shaun Marcott, who worked on a new study on global temperatures going back that far.

Global warming has propelled Earth's climate from one of its coldest decades since the last ice age to one of its hottest -- in just one century. A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years, said climatologist Shaun Marcott, who worked on a new study on global temperatures going back that far.

"If any period in time had a sustained temperature change similar to what we have today, we would have certainly seen that in our record," he said. It is a good indicator of just how fast man-made climate change has progressed.
My first thought was "Wow, they must have developed an interesting new high-resolution technique to do these temperature proxies." So, off I went read the research paper in the journal Science. Boy was I disappointed. There wasn't any new technique. They were using previously published work. Ok, maybe they have some new analysis technique. Keep reading. No, not really but boy do they seem to not understand the rather simple concept of data smoothing when they are making the claims I quoted above. Keep reading.

And then I find this statement:

The results suggest that at longer periods, more variability is preserved, with essentially no variability preserved at periods shorter than 300 years, ~50% preserved at 1000-year periods,So, if their resolution is longer than 300 years, how can the lead author claim in the quote to CNN that

A heat spike like this [i.e. over the last 100 years] has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 yearsThat's either a horrifically flawed understanding of basic data analysis or a fraudulent misrepresentation of his work. Either conclusion casts great doubt on this young man's scientific abilities. But I do note that they say in the paper:

Without filling data gaps, our Standard5×5 reconstruction (Fig. 1A) exhibits 0.6°C greater warming over the past ~60 yr B.P. (1890 to 1950 CE) than our equivalent infilled 5° × 5° area-weighted mean stack (Fig. 1, C and D). However, considering the temporal resolution of our data set and the small number of records that cover this interval (Fig. 1G), this difference is probably not robust.

Which implies that they do understand the smoothing issues, so I'll let you draw your own conclusion about the veracity of his comments to the press. If you find it shameful, we're in agreement. It's also an indictment of the lack of ability of the press (CNN was not the only site breathlessly promoting this nonsense.) to cover important scientific issues. Instead of intelligent reporting and discussion, we end up with name calling and towing the line as directed by our political masters and as evidenced by the recent posts in this thread.

I've said it here before: the behavior of the majority climate scientists on this issue is going to turn out to be a black eye on science. And I say that as a scientist of some 25 years and one who has done extensive computer modeling of complex, chaotic systems (and even some climate modeling).

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Paging vellos

/snicker

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
I've said it here before: the behavior of the majority climate scientists on this issue is going to turn out to be a black eye on science.
Besides the money wasted on this, I think you're spot on with this statement as this resultand black eye (or egg on their face? :) ) being one of the worst outcomes of all this. They cried wolf one too many times, and I hope that people will still believe them when the times comes and they actually come out with a theory that is true. We'll see.

You should read "State of Fear" by Michael Crighton. It's a fictional story, with a ton of fact in the footnotes. I think you'd like it, because I can see Al Gore and his ilk as basically thinly disguised characters in the book.