PDA

View Full Version : STM Suspension Ft. Collins - WOOT!!

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM
If you're riding around on stock suspension then you don't know what you're missing. One size does not fit all so spend a couple hundred bucks and get your suspension tuned to you. No need to be a knee dragger in the canyons or doing track days to appreciate good suspension.

Dave at STM Suspension is a great guy who knows his stuff and has competitive prices. :applause:

http://www.stmsuspension.com/

Thanks for all your help Dave!

Ghost
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM
If you're riding around on stock suspension then you don't know what you're missing. One size does not fit all so spend a couple hundred bucks and get your suspension tuned to you. No need to be a knee dragger in the canyons or doing track days to appreciate good suspension.

Dave at STM Suspension is a great guy who knows his stuff and has competitive prices. :applause:

http://www.stmsuspension.com/

Thanks for all your help Dave!

Just out of curiosity, what did you have done and what was the ballpark for costs in labor/parts etc?

madvlad
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
+1 my bike rides okay but im sure it could be better... That and my tires have some heavy cupping and was told by jim it could be suspension related... Definitely interested in this

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Jul 28th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, what did you have done and what was the ballpark for costs in labor/parts etc?

Unfortunately for me, my budget is way tight. All I could do at this point was replace front springs. Dave's prices were competitive with online suspension stores, plus he spent extra time with me to make sure I had preload adjusted properly (don't get that from the online store).

The OEM progressive springs were super soft with tons of preload from the factory. The replacement springs were shorter and require a custom spacer to make up the difference and set preload. A guy might think you just need to cut your new spacer to make the old and new assemblies the same length - not the case.

Front springs generally run a little over $100/pair. A rear spring will run around the same but requires some special tools so you'll pay more to have it serviced in the shop. From there it's best to talk to Dave directly than have me ballpark another man's pricing. Would love to say/help more but could do more harm than good if another customer's needs/expectations are different than mine.

Having the bike sprung properly for you is amazing. Believe it or not, even my brakes feel better.

So Dave sprung my front end properly for me. I'd already threw out the shit nasty pile of metal scrap that Honda called a rear shock on my VFR and installed a 929 shock off fleabay. Huge improvement. Next I will have Dave do the rear shock on my DR650, then I'll have to decide between the 929 rebuild or redoing the DR650 forks.

Sean
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I need to take the KTM to him...

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I rode my DR at IMI last weekend and bottomed out the suspension numerous times. I ride it hard in the canyons on my way to the dirt and she wobbles around in the corners like a drunken whore.

I never realized how collapsed the rear rode until my wife took a picture

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/IMIdirt_004.jpg