PDA

View Full Version : Oil Question.

MilkMan
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Hey all, I recently changed the oil on my K7 GSXR 1000 with Silkolyne (sp) 10w40 4T motorcycle oil that I got recomended by the guys @ Performance Cycle off S. Broadway. Just after the change the bike felt great, shifted smooth and even sounded like the engine was running quieter. Its probably all in my head, but it really seemed that way. The issue that I am having now though, is that it seems really hard to shift. Even more so if I am stopped sitting in neutral, then put it down into first to take off from a light. I'm wondering if the oil is somehow causing the clutch to grab ect making it harder to shift. The engine still seems happy and I have checked, double checked, tripple checked, and then re checked again the oil level and it is perfect, just a hair over the full mark on the sight glass. Again, all of this may just be in my head, but it feels like something is up and I dont want to keep running that oil if it will damage my clutch at all. What are you guys running for oil, and has anyone else experianced anything like this? Also a side note, this is the standard non-synthetic oil from Silkolyne, I'm not a huge fan of synthetic oils and have read mixed things on if they should be or should no be used with wet clutches with no definitive answers for either side. Any input is greatly appreciated guys and gals, I just dont want to hurt the new bike. I would probably have to cry and no one wants to see that... :(
-Mick-

willb003
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Try adjusting your clutch lever.

MilkMan
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 07:05 PM
The clutch on 07-08 gixxers is hydrolic so the adjustment only moves the friction area closer or further from the bar and doesnt actually change the tension you put on the clutch. I've tried moving it around a bit and it doesn't change at all.
-Mick-

brennahm
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 07:06 PM
How many miles since the oil change?

An 07 GSX-R? It will be very happy on synthetic. Don't worry about that.

MilkMan
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Maybe 50 miles sense the change. I keep checking it every single time I stop to make sure that it is not loosing oil and it still looks good. I'm just wondering why it would make the bike harder to shift? I am not sure what type of oil was previously in the motor, but I will just try to contact the guy who I bought it from and see what he ran in it and try switching back and seeing if that might help.
-Mick-

madvlad
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Have you messed with your shift lever at all?

Clovis
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think you're fine Mick. I've always noticed the bikes shift like butter immediately after an oil change but that doesn't last too long.

I'm using 10w40 as well (Yamalube).

MilkMan
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM
The actual shifter itself by your foot? No haven't touched that. I'm not sure that if that would have any effect though because it was better before I changed the oil.
-Mick-

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 09:10 PM
my bike shifts differently on different oils. My bike likes 15w40 rotella T diesel oil the best. In the winter when I run a lighter semi-synthetic or as my 15w40 gets more miles on it, I'll feel a difference in shifting.

rybo
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Make sure you've put the proper amount of oil in the bike. Overfilling will cause the bike to shift poorly or make it hard to find neutral.

S

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jul 29th, 2011, 11:10 PM
How many miles on the clutch? The push rod has to be adjusted on those periodically.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 02:04 AM
My guess is that it is a different weight than what was in there before... Considering that the clutch is directly effected by the oil in the motor I would say that its probably a heaver weight than what was used before. Different oils (brands and weights) = different results.

When you are looking at the oil level through the glass the bike is straight up (not on the kickstand) right?

MilkMan
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Yep, checking the oil with the bike straight up, off the kick stand. I will try adjusting the shift rid itself and see if that helps. My main concern was that the oil may not be compatible with the clutch and may be doing more harm than good. I've worked on cars for a long time but am new to bike mechanics and I think I'm just being over paranoid! I still may see what the old owner was running and try changing it and see if it helps out at all.
-Mick-

Ezzzzy1
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I bet you are good man... Some of the car oils that get used on motorcycles dont work with the clutches but its pretty obvious when there is a problem and instead of being difficult to shift its slips a LOT.

MilkMan
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Cool, thanks for all the replies fellas. I just dont want to trash any part of this thing especially over something stupid like the wrong oil or similar.
-Mick-

brennahm
Sat Jul 30th, 2011, 11:47 PM
the oil level...is perfect, just a hair over the full mark on the sight glass.

:?

Perfect does not equal overfilled. Which is it?

Ezzzzy1
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 02:26 AM
"A hair over" to me says that the meniskus on the glass reads a (really) small amount higher than the full line.

Never thought that the word meniskus would come into play but eh....

Wrider
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 06:23 AM
That's because it doesn't. It's "meniscus". And yes I'm becoming the spelling police now. Cadet baby-face reporting for duty!

Ezzzzy1
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 09:57 AM
Lol... Ok "wrider" :)

UglyDogRacing
Sun Jul 31st, 2011, 04:11 PM
Silkolene isn't going to cause your clutch to slip. If your clutch is out of adjustment or plate thickness is minimal, it will slip. Adjust your clutch.

MilkMan
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Exactly what ezzzzzy and Wrider stated, it is right on the full mark just appears slightly over on the sight glass. I rode the bike around today and played with the lever a bit and it seems perfect again. I'm wondering if I changed it and just didnt recall? It all seems well again though! Thank you all for the help and information. Much much appreciated guys!
-Mick-

*edit* side note as well, I spoke with the previous owner and he had always run Suzuki factory 10w40 in the bike. He wasn't sure if it was standard or synthetic, but I do believe that what is in the bike now is just as good quality if not better. Again just me being to paranoid..