PDA

View Full Version : Allright you Iron Butters......

Harry Biker
Thu Aug 28th, 2003, 03:19 PM
I think there's 6 official IBA members in this club,( ok 5 as I'm not official yet- but likely have ridden further than you anyhow this year ;) )

Anyone up for a fall "SS"-type of ride- early-mid October??
I've got pizza on the brain as in Deep Dish from the town that invented it. We could make it an SS2K if needed.

15 hours out- drink-eat- be merry-fart-sleep for say 5-8 hours & come on home. Anyone hip?? Anyone like to ride far anymore?

This is not only open to the 6 studs either :lol:

Hozerking
Thu Aug 28th, 2003, 03:34 PM
I am planning a trip in a few weeks to the river city also know for the Derby!

it will be 1100 one way! .. is that far enought in one day!

and I'm taking the RC! :D (stock seat!)

-al

towneh
Fri Aug 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM
another 2kss; iba just cashed my check for the verification process for my last one to Tyler.... ah the excitement! i've got soft tires on the RF right now with about 1k mileage. :P

would we need to arrange lodging for those 5-to-8 hours of shut-eye??? what kind of hours are we thinking??? (start-stop) :o

i'd be glad to layout a route description whether i go or not. 8)

let me know what's what,
henry

Harry Biker
Fri Aug 29th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Hozer,
I too am in the Ranch & have surely seen you on yer bad twin! Where exactly are you talking about? Kentucky?

Commander,
You know I'm talking about Chicago. It would be fun with a handful of riders & I'm totally open as to the details. Your Metzlers will make it. I'll bring ear plugs for the sleeping situation ;)

Let's see if this gets anymore interest........

Hozerking
Fri Aug 29th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Hozer,
I too am in the Ranch & have surely seen you on yer bad twin! Where exactly are you talking about? Kentucky?

Let's see if this gets anymore interest........

yup, the good old blue grass state! that is where I"m from.... I'm heading back to "pop the question!" :D and to get my Iron but plack! :lol:

the most I've done on the RC is ~900 miles :shock: in one day before and 1/3 of that was twisties! 8) so hauling accross kansas will be a new experience! :x :shock:

with the nature of my viist you can probably guess that it take priority over chicago! but it sounds like an fun run! unfotunatly until I get this liittle task taken care of I can not spare any vacation time and such!

-al

Nick_Ninja
Fri Aug 29th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Harry Biker wrote:

Anyone up for a fall "SS"-type of ride- early-mid October??

Ya got my interest. Tell me more. Early is better than later and I WILL chill for 8 hours (or less :D ) I'll watch this post. :shock:

Harry Biker
Wed Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:30 AM
Although I was hoping to ride with more than 3 riders, I suppose we could still go for it.
If we wanted to ride a little earlier, we could likely ride beautiful I-70 to St. Louis with Hozer and then head north.
I-80 on the return back to Denver is a nicer ride.

I figure the trip is easily doable for $150.00,(gas food/drink-coffee & bed) 1 room, 2 beds and a pull-out sofa bed,(slowest chuggar gets the couch :lol: )
Not sure the traveling speed of the RC51-rider,(average mph over a 750 mile distance), but I know the RF's & ZZR's time. I'll assume we can make St. Louis,(traffic usually sucks around that town)_in 11 hours and 4 more to Chicago. Obviously Hozer, if you need a start witness, you got em,(although IBA members are not required for the SS1K)

We find, a fine establishment, dine, take in the sights of Lake Shore Dr. enjoy the cooler temps, some fall colors, sleep for 4-5 hours and earn a SS2K within 48 hours.

GSL
Tue Sep 16th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Yo Harry,

I might be interested. Will watch this thread for more details.

If anyone can't wait, I've already got an IBA ride planned for next weekend. It's gonna be epic and so far, it's only me and one other guy. Get to Cheyenne, WY, Thursday night Sept 25th, ride Beartooth Pass on Friday (weather permitting) and get to the CA border.... hehehehe this is where the ride starts...

Sleep in Saturday morning until the border crossing opens then hightail it down to El Paso, TX, and the MX border to add names to a somewhat exclusive list...

border to border in 24 hours.... yeah, baby! yeah! :D

Anyone else game?

towneh
Tue Sep 16th, 2003, 07:21 PM
greetings gsl,

Your 'Boarder-to-Boarder' sounds interesting. Is Coutts your canadian connection??? I've been working out a route for next spring from Coutts to south-of-San Diego... I can't work with your dates but I wish I could. Have a great trip!
henry

GSL
Tue Sep 16th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Hey towneh,

Actually, we're planning on Scobey Int. Airport, north of Scobey, MT, for our connection. From there, we're taking back roads to Douglas, WY, then running down I-25 well into NM before getting on back roads again thru Vaughn and down to El Paso. Total mileage is 1370, B2B. Very do-able in 24 hours, IMHO.

Cheers! 8)

Harry Biker
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Shoot Will...
Now I have to take back my statement as I'm pretty sure YOU rode more than I,(that was just a little teaser to see if you were still out there ;) )

I get released from my orthopaedic doc on 9/25 @ 4:45pm- hopefully,(shoulder disaster from last year)...
& also ususally need more notice to go long as in IBA stuff, but I do appreciate the invite. That being said....I've got 9/25 evening stuck in my mind now w/ about 150 hours accrued vacation; the feeling that I did not get all the long rides in this season that I had wanted; a Harley that's all dressed up,(tuned) w/ no place to go??,(as I did not make the HD 100th) but my darn 1150GS needs tyres!!!

As far as Chicago is concerned, it sounds like minimal interest from this group. I'm still considering it as my dad wants to meet up with me 10/24/03, but that'll be wx. dependant as I don't want to cage it.

Any other rides planned for you this year? Perhaps the dirt SS1K # 2??

Are you planning on riding the Purple feet gig this Sunday? I'm likely gonna show.

GSL
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Hey Harry,

Well, if ya change your mind about next weekend, give me a shout. I've got some used Tourances laying around the garage that easily have 5K left in them. ;)

Other rides this year? Well, I think the Dirt SS1K is best done in the spring, when the days are getting longer. The biggest hazard of that ride is night-time riding, so I'm making it an annual event, done the first or second weekend of May (only one month off of the longest days of the year).

Also, and this may be a stretch for ya with family and all, but we've got a group ride going to Copper Canyon, Mexico and on to Mazatlan, the week of Thanksgiving. Mostly GS's, a KLR or 2, and Jen on her DR650. Open invite to all. I believe at least two people on the trip (out of about 6-10 so far) plan to stay "on pavement", bypassing the dirt sections and meeting us again by nightfall each night. I don't believe we'll be in Mazatlan long enough to make it worth your while to fly your wife and daughter in though. In fact, traveling in MX is too unpredictable to even say that we'll actually make it to MAZ before turning north... ??

Lastly, biggest IBA trip ride planned for next year is Halifax, Nova Scotia, to Vancouver, BC, in 75 hours (TC Gold, I think), sometime around June or July.

I'm afraid I can't make Jessica's memorial ride this weekend :cry: but will be thinkin of her while y'all are out there.

Ride safe,
Will

Harry Biker
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Will,
How much do you want for your used rubber :shock: :o :lol: ?? I may be interested to get me through the winter.

Then I can get new rubber to join in the TC Gold?? Hmmmm 8) Is that w/ the MTF or just an IBA ride you'll be doing on your own schedule? How many more miles is that vs San Fran to NY?

GSL
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 05:38 PM
8)

TC Gold is with the MTF. I can't recommend that place enough for their great organization of rides!

As for the used rubbers... :lol: The ones with quality miles left on them I actually like to keep around, for when people try to use the "my tires are worn out" line to get out of doing a ride... :lol: :D ;) But if you just need something to get you thru the winter, I've got an even older set that I could let ya have if ya promise to buy me a beer or three someday. :cheers:

Harry Biker
Thu Sep 18th, 2003, 07:59 AM
bwahh ha ha ha. That's a good one Will! :lol:
What's w/ all the used Metzlers? Ah I forgot, you do your own tire changes! Nice!

I think I can hold off on the REALLY USED tyres you're offering. I'll just push my 6th grader to pan handle. I can see the sign now....Please HELP, my Daddy Needs new rubber. Thank you & God Bless! I do appreciate the offer though for the handout. I'd also be happy to buy you a beer anytime you want to meet@ say the Bucksnort ,(Sphinx Park is somewhat midway for us. What do you think?

I'll be taking a peak then on the MTF to gather more info on the TCG. Without knowing an awful lot though about mileage, I'd say @ this point that 75 hours seems like it should be easier than the 50cc.??

GSL
Sat Sep 20th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Hey Harry,

Looks like my plans changed for tomorrow. I think I'll see you guys down at I-25 and 24, around 10ish. I prolly won't go all the way to the Castle though. Gotta take my neice to the airport late afternoon.

As for mileage, the TC Gold is about 900 miles further than a 50CC and includes hassling with a ferry out of Nova Scotia. 75 hours is gonna be hard. 90 hours is the standard TC.

Hopefully see ya tomorrow.

Harry Biker
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:17 AM
:o Will you're gonna take a fairy? :lol: Unless that's mandatory,(which seems odd) I'd have to state driving would be just about as quick if not quicker considering the wait for/on the ferry.

OldKneeDragger
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:49 AM
It was good meeting you on the memorial ride GSL :D Where are you planning on picking up your Mexico end point? You might want to consider the Santa Teresa crossing just a couple of miles west of El Paso. You probally already have it worked out but you could bypass all the El Paso traffic crossing over Antony Gap on war road 11 just north of El Paso. :)

Just my $0.02 from an interested bystander... Also, I haven't checked... are there any special requirements for witnesses for this ride with the IBA?

GSL
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:29 PM
Harry,,, :lol: but I think the non-fairy route is at least a hundred miles further. Not sure. I have no doubt it will be thoroughly investigated before trip time.

OldKneeDragger,
Nice to meet you as well! Hope the ride on down to the castle was a good one! 8) I'll look up that border crossing and see if it's possible or hurts/helps our route. Thanks for the advice!