PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Death/USB HD Enclosures?

Ghost
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 10:00 PM
I killed my laptop today by tripping over a cat and launching it to the tile floor in the basement (was bringing it down to hook the HDMI into the tv in the basement).

It's a Dell Studio 17 so the power switch is recessed into the hinge for the monitor and that's where it landed first, then it bounced and hit the other end just for good measure. I can't tell what all is broken since it won't even boot--which makes me think either the power switch is crushed or the whole thing is dead. The case is pretty messed up, monitor looks Ok, but could also be dead.

I pulled the HD and swapped it into my PC just to see if it would boot, and it did go into System Restore and then decide it can't fix the issue and go to options for Advanced Recovery (Memory Check, Restart, Restore Point, Remap from Image file or Shut Down).

Obviously, I didn't think it'd boot my pc to Windows, but I think that since it got that far the HD should be salvageable--Right?

Question is, can you still get USB enclosures for HDs, and can you for mobile HDs since they're smaller?

The laptop is, also of course, out of the Dell calamity warranty so I'm not sure it's worth trying to fix since that'd probably cost several hundred $$ for a now aged computer.

So, I may be forced to just buy a new one--but I'd like to get salvage the old HD if possible AND if anyone knows someone cheap/reasonable then I'd take it in to get looked at on the off chance it's something relatively easy to repair but I'd rather not just go to Geek Squad and get ripped off by the hour while they pad the bill to tell me it's dead...

Input/help/advice?

rforsythe
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
Microcenter has universal drive adapters (SATA, IDE, laptop) that convert to USB for around $15. I keep a couple around just in case. It's not a full enclosure, but for what you need it should be sufficient, just place it somewhere your cat won't piss on it.

TransNone13
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM
Thermaltake makes a very cool external HDD port. It accepts SATA 3.5 and 2.5 inch drives.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=thermaltake+blacx#q=thermaltake+blacx&hl=en&prmd=ivnsfd&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=pnk3TqS3EcbmiAL1--X6Dg&ved=0CGAQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4655209b0bac5743&biw=1920&bih=1109

Ghost
Mon Aug 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Microcenter has universal drive adapters (SATA, IDE, laptop) that convert to USB for around $15. I keep a couple around just in case. It's not a full enclosure, but for what you need it should be sufficient, just place it somewhere your cat won't piss on it.

Lol, no cat pee, he's actually never pissed outside the box--he just likes to be underfoot at the wrong damn time.

Cool, I'll check out Microcenter then for a universal drive adapter. I can't really afford a new laptop, but that will at least get my files onto my ancient PC.

As to repairs, if it's just the power switch (which it might be the more I poke around in there the board seems fine) anyone know if

http://www.laptoprepairdenver.com/services/

Are legit/competent/reasonably priced?

Thermaltake makes a very cool external HDD port. It accepts SATA 3.5 and 2.5 inch drives.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=thermaltake+blacx#q=thermaltake+blacx&hl=en&prmd=ivnsfd&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=pnk3TqS3EcbmiAL1--X6Dg&ved=0CGAQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4655209b0bac5743&biw=1920&bih=1109

Excellent, I'll check that out as well...

Thanks guys.

neh
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Maybe this guy could help.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40260&highlight=laptop

bulldog
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 09:02 AM
So you are admitting on a public forum that you killed something......jk...:lol:

Ghost
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
Maybe this guy could help.
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40260&highlight=laptop

Thanks!

So you are admitting on a public forum that you killed something......jk...:lol:

Troll :p

WolFeYeZ
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
I do think I have the correct adapter to get from SATA to USB. I used it a while back for IDE and I think it does SATA too. Ill check on it tonight if you would like to borrow it.

Sarge
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
I do think I have the correct adapter to get from SATA to USB. I used it a while back for ATA and I think it does SATA too. Ill check on it tonight if you would like to borrow it.

Those are usually pretty specific, the ATA ones are usually a lot bigger than the SATA ones. I used to keep one of each of those around when I worked at a computer shop, invaluable tool for accessing drive data.

OP, check your little corner computer shop, or even Best Buy. Those external enclosures are pretty cheap. Even if the drive is shot, you MIGHT be able to recover some data from it. There are little tricks, like sticking in in the fridge for a bit and running tools like XCOPY, can't remember the operator off the top of my head, but you can have XCOPY ignore disk errors and just copy whatever it can read. Might try that before you try running any recovery software, like CHKDSK.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Those are usually pretty specific, the ATA ones are usually a lot bigger than the SATA ones. I used to keep one of each of those around when I worked at a computer shop, invaluable tool for accessing drive data.

It has IDE on one side and the SATA on the other I believe and has come in handy more than a few times. Ill be home in two hours to know for sure.

For the OP, they are only like 20-30 bucks so its not all that bad to buy for such a handy tool.

Sully
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
You shouldn't leave pussy laying around :cool:

TransNone13
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:29 PM

OP, check your little corner computer shop, or even Best Buy. Those external enclosures are pretty cheap. Even if the drive is shot, you MIGHT be able to recover some data from it. There are little tricks, like sticking in in the fridge for a bit and running tools like XCOPY, can't remember the operator off the top of my head, but you can have XCOPY ignore disk errors and just copy whatever it can read. Might try that before you try running any recovery software, like CHKDSK.

The freezer trick didn't work for me years ago, shenanigans. That's why we run RAID.

Maybe he would have paid more attention if it was shaved?

Sarge
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
The freezer trick didn't work for me years ago, shenanigans. That's why we run RAID.

Usually it works better on slightly older drives that are just beginning to fail. Either that or your freezer skillz just aren't up to par. :p

I'm kidding, but It never hurts to try, especially when it's free.

When we going riding again? I'm getting used to getting rained on.

TransNone13
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Usually it works better on slightly older drives that are just beginning to fail. Either that or your freezer skillz just aren't up to par. :p

I'm kidding, but It never hurts to try, especially when it's free.

When we going riding again? I'm getting used to getting rained on.

Whenever, it's not a valid excuse... the rain. Especially for us. I have at least 6 different types of waterproof outer garments.

And I get the concept, I'm pretty sure dropping the drive put it out of its misery :p.

Sarge
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
I got absolutely soaked the other day riding home. Water pouring out of my boots and everything, but my upper body stayed dry. ;)

Anyway, enough threadjacking I'll pm you in a day or two so we can plan something long.

Ghost
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
OP, check your little corner computer shop, or even Best Buy. Those external enclosures are pretty cheap.

For the OP, they are only like 20-30 bucks so its not all that bad to buy for such a handy tool.

What do you guys think of:

Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U

External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure

Docking Station 2.5” & 3.5” USB 2.0 & eSATA

http://tinyurl.com/yzfxp9u

It's only $19 after MIR

I try to never ignore good pussy, but apparently it wanted me so badly it wanted to kill the laptop that's come between us.

;)

TransNone13
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:41 PM
That's the one I have and Newegg rocks.

Ghost
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
That's the one I have and Newegg rocks.

Yeah, back when I built my last few PCs I used them pretty much exclusively.

Anyone know of a decent hardware repair shop--I've been poking around the laptop and think that when it hit on the right edge it may have taken out the power button and/or the DC power input/connection/thing and if that's it, couldn't that be repaired?

WolFeYeZ
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
This is what I have in case you might want to borrow rather than buy. I'm Located at i25 and university.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

Ghost
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
This is what I have in case you might want to borrow rather than buy. I'm Located at i25 and university.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

That looks pretty cool, and I may borrow it, but at the moment I think I'm now more on the hunt to see if I can get this laptop fixed since I don't have the $$ to replace it...

If that fails, then I'll try to salvage the HD and will come borrow your adapter so I can at least pull files off

TransNone13
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
If you need a drive, I have 4 on my desk. I checked to make sure they all worked, they do...

Ghost
Tue Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
If you need a drive, I have 4 on my desk. I checked to make sure they all worked, they do...

Awesome, thanks man.

With some advice from T-Jolt I'm about to dive into disassembling this thing--we'll see if it's salvageable...

Ghost
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Laptop is back up and functional...now to reinstall and Xfer everything over from my old HD (which was failing before the tumble anyway)...

TransNone13
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
You're going to clone it right? I use Acronis True Image.

Ghost
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 01:52 PM
You're going to clone it right? I use Acronis True Image.

Hmm, I'll look into that, I've heard of it but never used it...

JustSomeDude
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Hmm, I'll look into that, I've heard of it but never used it...

I've got an Apricorn external HDD reader (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002) that I've used to pull data off pretty much every type of disk under the sun. Assuming your HDD still spins up, it should work. Just connect the HDD to the Apricorn reader, and the reader to a working USB port and you're good to go.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/12-161-002-03.jpg

You're welcome to borrow it if you like. Shoot me a PM or drop me an email via the contact form on my website (see my signature).

word.

Ghost
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I've got an Apricorn external HDD reader (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002) that I've used to pull data off pretty much every type of disk under the sun. Assuming your HDD still spins up, it should work. Just connect the HDD to the Apricorn reader, and the reader to a working USB port and you're good to go.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/12-161-002-03.jpg

You're welcome to borrow it if you like. Shoot me a PM or drop me an email via the contact form on my website (see my signature).

word.

Thanks man, I've got a Thermaltake BlacX to hook the old drive into, but if that doesn't do it I'll definitely let you know

JustSomeDude
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks man, I've got a Thermaltake BlacX to hook the old drive into, but if that doesn't do it I'll definitely let you know

w0rd!! sorry if i missed that in the thread! :makeout:

birchyboy
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Was the power button easy to fix? I've got a Studio 17 (i7 processor) that is good, but the one I bought for my boss has a bum power button. It might be under warranty but I might take it apart if it's easy.