PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I'll be in the market for a new bike soon

CaneZach
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM
As some of y'all know, someone backed into my bike a few weeks ago. I contacted their insurance company, provided them with the estimate, and they want to declare my bike a total loss. They're offering around $4400 for my bike, which is low, and $1000 as the buyback. I have about $6200 (retail) worth of aftermarket parts (Akropovic full exhaust, Ohlins rear shock, Galfer wave rotors, Gilles rearsets, Power Commander, etc.), so I'm going to get them to cough up more $$$, buy my bike back, and turn my ZX10 into my new racebike.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad yet. I was kinda caught off guard when they said they were going to call it a total loss.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
whatcha thinkin' bout gettin'?

Ghost
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I was kinda caught off guard when they said they were going to call it a total loss.

Sadly, it's pretty typical. It's easier (and ultimately cheaper) for most insurance companies to just cut a check and be done with it. I've seen them do it to new 1098s/1198s, 1000RRs, and many, many others that really weren't "totaled" in any way other than cosmetic damages. And, if there's any structural damage (frame) it's usually a write-off, even for seemingly minor scratches.

Really, the only bikes they tend to repair instead of total (in my experience) are those that are very lightly damaged (just panels) and/or Gold Wings.

Sorry it happened man, but at least you'll get both a race bike and a new bike out of it? That's a good thing, no?

grim
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
That does suck but Ghost is right its easier and more cost effective for them. If the cost for the repairs is going to be greater than the cost of the stock bike they will always go that route. When you were putting all the stuff on your bike did you have your insurance take pictures of it and include it into your policy? If you did you can get your insurance involved to say hey the bike is worth more and we have proof! if not its gonna be a battle.

sorry for your loss/gain good luck!

Bashed
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
As some of y'all know, someone backed into my bike a few weeks ago. I contacted their insurance company, provided them with the estimate, and they want to declare my bike a total loss. They're offering around $4400 for my bike, which is low, and $1000 as the buyback. I have about $6200 (retail) worth of aftermarket parts (Akropovic full exhaust, Ohlins rear shock, Galfer wave rotors, Gilles rearsets, Power Commander, etc.), so I'm going to get them to cough up more $$$, buy my bike back, and turn my ZX10 into my new racebike.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad yet. I was kinda caught off guard when they said they were going to call it a total loss.

Wow, that is kinda unexpected!
The more you want to get for all you extra's the more the buyback will be.
Tell them to cut you a check for 4G, keep the bike, and call it good.
Thats a fair deal, and you can fix the bike however you want with the cash, and maybe get a new racesuit to!

CaneZach
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I knew insurance companies have totaled bikes because of the fairings, but I didn't expect it. The thought never crossed my mind, to be honest. I figured I would end up with new plastics, a front fork, and a new wheel. I don't know why I didn't think they might total it.

I'm still running through my options. I will definitely buy her back, but I don't know if I should turn her into my new racebike, which means I'm selling my old racer, or fix everything that's wrong with the Ninja and keep her as my streetbike. Decisions, decisions.

OUTLAWD
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
buy it back, fix it yourself and keep the change man...unless you really want a new bike...

spdu4ia
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM
i'd definetly make it a racebike.. simply because selling it as a streetbike in the future with a salvage title could be problematic.

CaneZach
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
After further consideration, I think I'm just going to fix her up and pocket the change.

JohnEffinK
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Have not seen the damage but ebay parts may be your friend on this.

Good luck and get back on the road soon.

John

= Buckeye Jess =
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Prolly shouldn't be too shocked given who it was that hit it... rock bottom dealings in insurance with a high number of claims hehehe

OUTLAWD
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
some insurance companies won't bother sending the paperwork back to the state if the vehicle is older than 5 years I think, mine still has a clear tittle <knocks on wood>

Concabar
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't think they did that much damage to it, but then again it was a big rig

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear it, hope you get it all straightened out!

Zach929rr
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM
http://modernvespa.com/pix/uploads/2008_honda_ruckus_111.jpg

Wrider
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM

If you can't handle the power of that thing, what makes you think he could?

kevplus2
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
how old is it? if it is 5 years old or older you can have them total it and not have to get a salvage title. a salvage title is not issued in colorado for any vehicle over 5 years old.

i laid my zrx down and they totalled it. i took the payout (minus the buy back) and repaired it with higher end parts and still had money left over. never had to have it inspected or have a new title issued. learned about the 5 year rule from the insurance comapany and verified it with the state

this is one reason co had so many problems with flooded cars from down south being sold here without salvage titles.

CaneZach
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM

You should check out some pics from the last round of races. Some guys have some seriously tricked out Ruckuses (Rucki?)

OUTLAWD
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 11:37 PM
oh, I brought the ruckus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIPfQ-HtYeM