PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Internet?

pauliep
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Does anyone have the scoop on what's available that can service Aurora for some high speed internet? I'm moving into an apartment complex that has an exclusive contact through a no name poor service company (American Communications). So no chance of comcast or qwest.

Clear Wireless? Anyone use them? I have seen hordes of negative reviews. But I'm really optimistic in a gamble it might work well.

DishNetwork and DirectTV use Wild Blue which has bad ping so xbox live and netflix make this a no go.

Verizon? Their two mobile boardband devices are crap from what I have read.

Didn't see many options from my searching of local companies that can provide something.

Foolds
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Ive got my pops a sprint 3g wireless card and Ive been real happy with it each time ive borrowed it... I would guess there 4g hotspots would be even better

Tylar
Thu Aug 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM
You can try Skybeam (www.skybeam.com). Line-of-sight wireless. My mother uses it up north and so long as the antenna is aligned and it's not snowing rocks, it's okay.

eklew
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
You are moving?

longrider
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I have been using Skybeam for years and can recommend it. I dont know what issues Tylars mom had but i have never had to realign the dish and while there have been outages they are not weather related. Outages are also very rare, maybe once every 3 or 4 months for a few hours

brennahm
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
We use Verizon cards for our computers in the field office. Work pretty well but we've got a good signal out here. The 4g cards (Pantech UML290?) are stupid fast so it might be worth checking out the service signal in your area.

longrider
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 07:37 AM
What is the Verizon bandwidth cap? the OP did mention Netflix so that could come into play.

JustSomeDude
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
FWIW, I use my Android phone on Verizon's 4G LTE network and get blazing speeds when using it as mobile hotspot, or tethered modem. Here's a video I made when I first got the Thunderbolt. Speeds have settled into the 7-9Mb/s range since then (March)... but that's comparable with many mid-tier home DSL lines. (Ignore the "upload" test results... the SpeedTest.net app was unable to accurately measure the 4G upload speeds when the network first came online).

http://akphotodenver.com/images/tspeed.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWT40nlGYok&hd=1)

Also... my office manager just cancelled her Comcast service and switched to Verizon's 4G mobile service exclusively. She also lives in Aurora. She is thrilled with the service, but as I understand it, she can only access the network via the USB modem -- so only one device can be connected at a time. I don't think the connection can be shared via a router - but that's not to say some clever soul couldn't figure out a way to do it. ;)