PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
USAA will not let me transfer coverage to another bike. So my premium is like $600. State Farm wants 6 grand a year for a BMW S1000RR and Progressive wants $4500. I pay $600 a YEAR with USAA. What does everyone else use? This is stupid...

Kyle

laspariahs
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I have state farm and it's $130 a year for full coverage, and $250 deductibles..... With two speeding tickets, only 10 over on each though.

I remember looking in to a S1000RR, and it was 450 a year if my memory serves me, it was certainly under 1k a year.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Wtf...?

laspariahs
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Wtf...?

I don't know? State farm was by far the cheapest for the motorcycle when I looked. Have you tried Allstate, I have my cars with them and they gave me a good deal.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Not yet, I tried dairyland lol and its $3100.

tecknojoe
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM
That's their way of saying they don't want to insure you for a high performance bike. shitty

CaneZach
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I have State Farm and I pay around $40 a month for full coverage on my ZX10. If I had State Farm for my home as well, I'm sure it would go down further, but my rates for home and auto with USAA are too good.

JustSomeDude
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
I have State Farm and I pay around $40 a month for full coverage on my ZX10. If I had State Farm for my home as well, I'm sure it would go down further...

+1

When I had my Daytona combined with my homeowner's, car, and camera insurance, I was paying around $28/month on the bike alone. The combined coverage really saves.

But the rates you're being quoted seem outrageous. Almost sounds like they have the bike mis-categorized. Or as others have postulated, maybe they just don't want to insure it.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Oh well, insane...

Graphite675
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM
State Farm as well. Ducati 1198 full coverage, $250 deductible for about $265 a year. And they will cover a track day as long as it is not a timed event (race).

I lost out on USAA as well. They won't do bikes any more (except for a couple of states because of local laws). USAA turns all bikes over to Progressive now and they are $$$.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm also 24, so I get hit on the underage crap... That's ridiculous $265?

mastap07
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
i have american family for both my bike and house. $28 full coverage on the bike and insuring my house because 1000cc is considered a touring bike according to amfam... works for me! next year it should drop for ya a bit but not as much as ya hope lol

laspariahs
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm also 24, so I get hit on the underage crap... That's ridiculous $265?

I've had mine since I was 25.

CaneZach
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:35 PM
State Farm as well. Ducati 1198 full coverage, $250 deductible for about $265 a year. And they will cover a track day as long as it is not a timed event (race).

I lost out on USAA as well. They won't do bikes any more (except for a couple of states because of local laws). USAA turns all bikes over to Progressive now and they are $$$.

I remember when USAA covered motorcycles. Their coverage was great. IIRC, I insured my 2004 GSXR 750 for around $20-something a month. They didn't differentiate between a 1000cc sportbike and a 1000cc cruiser. All they cared about was you had 1000cc's. I don't remember when they stopped insuring bikes (2007ish?), but they handed over MC coverage to "Drive by Progressive". My insurance was going to jump from $20-something a month to around $100 a month.

Geico was who I went with after USAA and I was pleased with them. Yeah, they wanted more than USAA (Around $250 a year for USAA compared to $aroud $500 a yr for Geico), but they were far less expensive than Progressive. Even with a clean history and a bunch of discounts, Progressive still wanted twice as much as anyone else.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I have 1 claim and a ticket on my truck showing up on my record. I think they're trying to keep me away. I don't get it though, my credit is great... And shit happens ya know?

aerofaze
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM
State Farm at $212 Full Coverage/year for my Duc. $60/yr liability only for the old SV. I use SF also for my house and car, too.

Where the heck do they come up with $6k?! Maybe they were looking up quotes for a BMW CAR...???

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
They wanted a grand for my truck? State Farm that is, I was clear about the S1000RR. I guess that ONE claim is a show stopper. So nobody makes mistakes eh? One claim in 7 years of owning my own insurance.

Sarge
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Dairyland set me up with $800/year, full coverage on my RSV Factory, I'm 24 and no tickets. Progressive for USAA wanted almost $300/month, and I think Geico was like $6000/year. State Farm came closer at like $1100 a year. These bike insurance companies really need to get their shit together.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM
You have a ticket now! Dairyland wants $2463.13 with 1000$ deductible Comp/Coll.

crypto0793
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 02:05 PM
im 26 with progressive throught USAA and my bike insurance is only $36 a month full coverage $250 deductable and i have 2 tickets and an accident sounds like your getting screwed

Jmetz
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I think I'm paying about $30/month full coverage on the 748 with amfam. I have 2 tickets and it's classified as a "superbike" but I have my house, truck, jet ski, scooter, and bike insured with them.

Jmetz
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM
im 26 with progressive throught USAA and my bike insurance is only $36 a month full coverage $250 deductable and i have 2 tickets and an accident sounds like your getting screwed

Damn.. Sounds like I'm getting screwed.. :lol:

Vellos
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm 21 with a terrible speeding record and sole vehicle with State Farm. $624 a year for liability and comp. If I had a car on the plan it would drop drastically and I could afford full coverage.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Wth?

Vellos
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I think it's around $1400 a year for full coverage if I didn't have a car. But I have a ZX6 and you have an RC8.

What I thought was strange was the lady at State Farm said it didn't matter what kind of bike it is, they only base their rates on the engine size. Somehow I think that's false.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I asked about a BMW and education. I might get a 675R.

Vellos
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Weird. Do they have normal prices if it's just liability/comp? I'm thinking having a claim is driving up your collision coverage cost.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I guess it was a good one so, but really?

3D
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I went through Esurance. No one else would insure me for under $150/mo since I have so many tickets on my record. I don't know off the top what my annual is, but my monthly is $53/mo for full coverage with Esurance. I tried to get progressive, but they wanted $200/mo for full coverage. After I got Esurance, they tell me that they are an underwriter for Progressive, so every time I deal with insurance issues or what not, I deal directly with Progressive for a lesser price that they initially wanted to begin with. Kinda funny...

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Farmers doesn't want to insure bikes anymore but since I'm grandfathered in, I can switch out bikes at my leisure for $247 a year for full coverage. I have an FZ-1 with them currently. But if I add a bike, well, they quoted me $2600 to add a ZX-6R. So I'm sticking with just the one bike...

Jesterbass21
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 04:51 PM
103 a year with geico on my 80 kz750 another 40 a year for my 98 zx6r plus I have my cars with them.

Graphite675
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I might get a 675R.

Nice choice :D

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
It is cheaper, and after thrashing the R6 at the course I feel a smaller bike might let me work more on my fundamentals so I can ride my RC8 better.

Ghost
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I guess it was a good one so, but really?

Unfortunately it's put you in High Risk, especially as you're under 25. Underwriters look at number of incidents as well as amount paid out. Wadding up a 1198 or RC8 means a higher bill for them so you'll get charged more upfront to offset the potential loss later. Essentially, they're charging you more to cover the greater risk.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'm just surprised by the increase from my current to another.

Ghost
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I'm just surprised by the increase from my current to another.

Yeah, but it's kinda Invested Risk (since you've paid in to your current policy) versus New Risk. If the new company insures you and you total a bike on the first day it's more loss versus a loss where you've been paying your premium for X years.

Talk to Cjake on here, he's a State Farm insurance guy, maybe he can cut you a better deal on a policy.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah, but it's kinda Invested Risk (since you've paid in to your current policy) versus New Risk. If the new company insures you and you total a bike on the first day it's more loss versus a loss where you've been paying your premium for X years.

Talk to Cjake on here, he's a State Farm insurance guy, maybe he can cut you a better deal on a policy.

Duh, thanks. I don't know why I didn't figure that out earlier lol.

Vellos
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
It's kind of crazy that you can pay off the cost of the vehicle you bought with the amount you pay in insurance in just a few years. Guess they don't want you parking your Civic into a Ferrari.

Ghost
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Duh, thanks. I don't know why I didn't figure that out earlier lol.

;)

It's kind of crazy that you can pay off the cost of the vehicle you bought with the amount you pay in insurance in just a few years. Guess they don't want you parking your Civic into a Ferrari.

It's also to cover injuries and potential lawsuits, both of which can be way more costly than even a Ferrari if it all goes wrong...

Of course, there's also a ton of profit margin too, it's how the game's played

Graphite675
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I feel a smaller bike might let me work more on my fundamentals so I can ride my RC8 better.

I couldn't agree more. The 675 or R6 are great bikes and they both have plenty of power and potential on the track with out the "oh shit" factor of the RC8.

If you plan on racing I would really lean towards a 600 and get some track time in. Work on your fundamentals like you said. Once you are more comfortable then move up to a bigger bike.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM
USAA rocks... Till they farmed out their motorcycle coverage. Progressive sucks balls. State Farm for the house and USAA for everything else, R6 is $30 a month for full (5 years ago it was $21 for an 06 600 giggy).

Chris Rock said it best: They shouldn't even call it insurance. They just should call it '' in case shit.'' l give a company some money in case shit happens. Now, if shit don't happen, shouldn't l get my money back?

Vellos
Sat Aug 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Now, if shit don't happen, shouldn't l get my money back?

No. :lol: