PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust pickling

stubbicatt
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Anybody know where I can get a stainless exhaust "pickled" so that it has a nice bronze color to it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stubb

spdu4ia
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Am I the only one that has no freakin clue what your talking about?

BC14
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I like pickles :p

brennahm
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Stainless steel should bronze by itself. Is your's brand new? Bring me your bike, I'll ride it for a hundred miles, give it back and you can pay me.

Vellos
Sun Aug 7th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Stainless steel should bronze by itself. Is your's brand new? Bring me your bike, I'll ride it for a hundred miles, give it back and you can pay me.

:applause:

Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

Your signature is copyrighted? Leaning toward you just put that there for the hell of it.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Anybody know where I can get a stainless exhaust "pickled" so that it has a nice bronze color to it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Stubb
'Sup Greg. Any metal plater should be able to help with that. Pickling also helps with keeping stainless from rusting (yes, there is still iron in stainless) if I remember correctly, somewhat similar to passivation. Like I said, look for a metal plater, if he doesn't do it he can tell you who can. Big industrial shops might not want to do a one-off though. What I'd do is send it off to have it Jet-Hot (brand name) coated. It's a alumina-ceramic coating developed by NASA that actually protects the pipe from erosion from the hot gases (very important on jet nozzles). I had my old Gixxer's pipe done and it lasted for probably 10 years with no signs of issues over mild steel. Stainless is even better. I'd get it coated, then wrap it in Thermo-Tec insulation. I'll see if I can;t find someone for ya.

ChrisCBX
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
If you want to go with a ceramic coater like Frank suggested, there is one in Wheatridge that did a great job on one of my bikes. I've used Jet Hot in the past and these local guys were just as good and had good customer service.

http://appliedplastic.com/ceramicexhaust/