PDA

View Full Version : What model glove(s) do most racers use?

R1chie
Sat May 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I lost my gloves and need new ones. I want ones that could be used for racing. What model or models/brand name do most racers use. Or is there a feature that is recommended for racing (thickness). Anyone gone down fast and found a certain glove held up exceptionly. Any info appreciated.

~Barn~
Sat May 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM
That's like asking what model bikes most racers use. :lol:

I'm sure whatever brand you get, will have similar characteristics; So long as you get their top-flight models.

A-Star
JoeRocket
Teknic
Held
Dainese, etc... etc..

Just look for something with armored knuckles and fingers, several wrist straps (if not zippers). Um... reinforced palms and such. Double stitching on panels.

King Nothing
Sat May 28th, 2005, 06:56 PM
just use some gardening gloves. :idea:

hcr25
Sat May 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I use gloves made by Racer Supply.I crashed twice this year,once was turn 1 at PPIR.I fell of at i guess 120mph. I slid on my back with my palms down.While my gloves did suffer enough damage that i wont use them again.I had no hand injuries of any kind.The gloves did an awesome job protecting my hands. I think a few other CSC members including Glenn "gecco" use them also.
if you wont more info on them let me know.
mike

trackaddict
Sat May 28th, 2005, 07:37 PM
i would like to know where to get some. someone on the MRA board was raving about them a while back. besides, my gloves are about done.

zx6er
Sat May 28th, 2005, 08:24 PM
i had a pair of alpinestars that held up well when i broke my hip at CDR that held up well.i would reccomend them.

phillip
mra 432

Bueller
Sat May 28th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Olympias ($75 at Performance) have done well for me, three crashes and they still look good, I got a new pair just to be safe but they look good enough to keep wearing.
Got some tourmaster Robomax on closeout from new enough $51 shipped, got em in 3 days
http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_robomax_carbon_gloves_page.htm

RSVR4aCowboy
Sat May 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I use the Held brand. I like the kangaroo palms. TK carries them or can order them for you. Heard good things about the Racer Supply ones also But haven't used them. Crashed in the Teknic Speedstars last season and they came apart on the seams between the fingers.

Bertha
Sat May 28th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Held just like cowboys... Love em.

R1chie
Sun May 29th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I use gloves made by Racer Supply.I crashed twice this year,once was turn 1 at PPIR.I fell of at i guess 120mph. I slid on my back with my palms down.While my gloves did suffer enough damage that i wont use them again.I had no hand injuries of any kind.The gloves did an awesome job protecting my hands. I think a few other CSC members including Glenn "gecco" use them also.
if you wont more info on them let me know.
mike

Thanks for everyone's input.

I ordered the robomax but I am going to get a second pair.

Which pair do you own Mike?, the RSC-1 or the RSC-2, The only difference I can see is one is vented and is 40 bucks more. Is the venting worth the extra money..

Anonymous
Sun May 29th, 2005, 05:27 AM
It's also good to try them on before you buy them, but I guess it's too late for that. :| Some brands fit differently than others. I can't even wear the Astars, they make their fingers too short. Current gloves are Sidi Tre Composite, however after a couple slides down the 88's they're starting to come apart. They've also always been a little tighter than I'd like.

I've tried on the Joe Rockets and they fit very well (actually the suits do too - like, perfect for me). I think I tried on a pair of Held's at TK as well but can't remember if I liked them or not, I'll have to do that again some day soon. I also plan to try on some of the racer supply ones next weekend at the races, since they are a trackside vendor.

R1chie
Sun May 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM
It's also good to try them on before you buy them, but I guess it's too late for that. :|

My hands are big, some xxl fit, some are too small and I have to make them fit. Both places have return policies if they are way too small.

I thought I was going to have to pay $137 for a single pair of gloves, this thread saved me $37 after buying two pair (unless I am told that the vented RSC-2 are required in which I am at the price I was going to be at buying the one pair of gloves) so even paying shipping to return a pair I am still doing better than purchasing a pair not knowing if they would hold up for track use. (The RSC for track, and if the robomax does not work out for track then that pair for street)

Thanks, I am now a happy camper :)

Boy Scout
Sun May 29th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I use the Held brand. I like the kangaroo palms.I've heard good comments about the Held gloves. Which model of these do you have, Mike?

Bertha
Sun May 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM
They are the GALAXY Racing Glove #2935

www.held-usa.com

RSVR4aCowboy
Sun May 29th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I have the AKIRA Racing Gloves #2114,
http://www.held-usa.com/heldglv.html
The Galaxy didn't fit me as well as the Akira did. Best to try them on if possible. I find even different models by same manufactuer fit different.

JOE!!!!!!
Sun May 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Bertha, typo in your link. Try:
held-usa.com (http://www.held-usa.com)
I use the Held Akira model. Just had to try 'em on at TK, and went "wow", perfect fit. Bought on the spot. The little rivet things work, as I found out in the new racers class when I lowsided. Only lost a couple and skinned up the knuckles. These are really nice gloves.

Joe #859

Hoopty
Wed Jun 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
I have had my best luck with Teknic gloves. The Violator and Violator Pro have each held up to SEVERAL crashes before they needed to be replaced. New Enough usually has decent prices on them. 8)

scud
Wed Jun 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
I have a pair of Teknics because they fit my hand and were on sale at New Enough when I got 'em. I'd give them 3 out of 5 stars - they're not as comfortable as my brother's Helds, and the bar feel isn't as good, but they were a lot cheaper.

The last pair of Teknics I had, the seam on the left thumb came apart in a crash and I had a little road rash there. The pavement at that track (Oak Hill) is super-abrasive though, and the gloves had been through three other crashes, so I wasn't too upset.

Wolf-R1
Thu Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:09 AM
Anyone have any experience with the MotoGP brand of gloves? I recently saw them at Performance, two models actually. They felt lighter than the Joe Rocket Speedmaster gloves that I have and seemed as strong tho you can't really tell from holding them. All the MotoGP branded stuff is supposed to be Kangaroo leather which is known to be stronger and lighter than cow leather.

R1chie
Thu Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:33 AM
I looked at the Held site. The prices are 4 times that of Racers choice. Are they 4 times better, stronger, thicker, stitching, construction, type leather? I see these wild swings in prices but do they do that much better job to justify the price or are you paying for a status symbol name or fancy graphics?

Anonymous
Thu Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
I have the 2002 version of the Teknic Violator Pro. I can't find any catalog pics left, but this article (http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/teknic/violator-pro.htm) is still around, and was actually influencial in my decision to purchase them (mine are red, btw). I'd love another pair. I've crashed in these 8 times and they're still holding up. Unfortunately the 2002 version is very scarce, so I'll probably have to settle for a newer model.