PDA

View Full Version : 2006 GSX-R 600 has power, will not start

Devaclis
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Turn key to on and hear what sounds like a servo under the tank. Never heard this before.

Hit the start button, nothing, not even a click.

Turn the kill switch off and back on, servo noise again. Still will not start.

Guage cluster shows ""CHECK" but does not give a code or anything.

Kickstand up, bike in neutral, clutch pulled in. Nadda.

Any ideas? We have had an FI error on the guage since we bought the bike but have never had an issue starting it. Battery checked out at Batteries Plus this morning and they said it was good.

I connected the bike to my truck battery with the truck turned OFF and it still gave the same issue, would not even turn over.

cptschlongenheimer
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
servo noise? Like fuel pump pressurizing system?
Check the easy stuff first like fuses. That said, sounds like neutral/kickstand switch if it won't even try to turn over.
Edit: just saw part about "check" on gauges... Maybe there's some sort of interlock tied to the fuel or sensor system?

UglyDogRacing
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Dana did you check the fuses? Do that first.

brennahm
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Aftermarket exhaust? If so, they likely deleted the exhaust valve and that will throw your FI code. On that note, you can snip the brown wire at the ECU (research this to make sure the right one) and it will get rid of the FI code. The servo noise is likely your exhaust valve servo which is under the tank.

Might want to take care of any/all of this first especially if it's a new noise.

Then start jumping the clutch and kickstand switches to make sure one of those didn't go bad.

Also, pretty sure the gauge is supposed to say check...?

UglyDogRacing
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Pretty sure Pie's gsxr has the stock exhaust. The gsxr's will say check before they fire up.

vort3xr6
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The exhaust valve servo is actually located on the tail faring on the right side. Under the tank is just the fuel pump priming.

Double check that the clutch lever is actually pushing on the switch that allows the bike to start.

Can you bump start it?

TFOGGuys
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Dana, PM me...a couple of quick checks you can try...

Devaclis
I will check the KS switch and the clutch switch when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for the input guys.

The bike worked perfectly last week. And we swear we never noticed the servo sound before. But I am also old and crazy so I could be mistaken.

madvlad
That F.I light is a common issue for the K6/K7 gsxr, however I do not see this being the issue with whats going on now. On my K7 they had to calibrate the Exup motor thing cause it would cause it to get stuck and have the F.I light come on. Did make my bike run like crap though.

brennahm
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 12:26 PM
The exhaust valve servo is actually located on the tail faring on the right side. Under the tank is just the fuel pump priming.

Crap, I think my R1 had it under the tank...:slap:

I'm going with faulty safety switch.

Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
clutch switch could do it too. id reccomend just checking what the code is - the bike will tell you whats wrong.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=1234

if the error code isnt listed there, i have the 08 gsxr manual in pdf

ghostrider_9
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM
My $.02:

1. The noise you hear is the fuel system. It's a good thing that you are hearing it.

2. The "check" message comes on every time the bike is turned on, until it is started. Again, no biggey there, that is normal - which is also a good indication.

3. The F1 indication is actually saying that there is an other than normal return from one of the fuel injectors. This happens frequently and shouldn't be that big of an issue, unless you are having fuel delivery problems.

4. From what I can tell, it sounds like things are going as expected until you hit the starter button. I would personally start with the fuses.

5. If the fuses all check good, I would start looking at the other easy things -
Make sure the connections on the clutch switch are on all the way.
Check the sidestand switch and wires. (Does the Neutral Light come on? This can be a big deal if the bike thinks it's in gear. Try with the sidestand up and the clutch in, to be sure.)
Then I would go with the bump start to make sure it will actually run.

6. If none of that works, let me know and we can go from there. You have my number and know how to get in touch with me . . .

vort3xr6
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM
My $.02:

1. The noise you hear is the fuel system. It's a good thing that you are hearing it.

2. The "check" message comes on every time the bike is turned on, until it is started. Again, no biggey there, that is normal - which is also a good indication.

3. The F1 indication is actually saying that there is an other than normal return from one of the fuel injectors. This happens frequently and shouldn't be that big of an issue, unless you are having fuel delivery problems.

4. From what I can tell, it sounds like things are going as expected until you hit the starter button. I would personally start with the fuses.

5. If the fuses all check good, I would start looking at the other easy things -
Make sure the connections on the clutch switch are on all the way.
Check the sidestand switch and wires. (Does the Neutral Light come on? This can be a big deal if the bike thinks it's in gear. Try with the sidestand up and the clutch in, to be sure.)
Then I would go with the bump start to make sure it will actually run.

6. If none of that works, let me know and we can go from there. You have my number and know how to get in touch with me . . .

Keep in mind, it should only say check if there is something not right. If the bike has everything ready to start, it will display engine temp. If it says CHECK, there is an issue with kill switch, clutch switch, kick stand, etc.

Doron&Katie
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
"Raw power, is hard to start." From the intrawebz

brennahm
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Brad, I thought it was something like it would display check with the key on and the killswitch off or something like that. There is definitely a way for it to show though.

madvlad
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
The check would come on if the kill switch is off but not when on obviously unless there is something wrong

GixxerCarrie
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Dana I have the full hard cover manual I can bring you...

Wrider
Mon Aug 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Were you able to pull the codes? PM incoming.

Devaclis
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Resolved

As indicated by many of you it was in fact a safety switch issue. The clutch safety switch had a very small pinch in the power wire. Just enough to split the wires inside the sheathing. I had to cu the wire, strip the ends, solder them and heat shrink tube them. The bike now starts fine.

Thanks a ton for your direction here peeps. You saved the day :)

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
:up:
Glad you rollin' again.

Vellos
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Maybe my clutch safety is pinched too. It likes to not let me start sometimes, but I can still put it in neutral to get going... Good info here.

brennahm
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM
George, you can also check for corrosion where the wiring attaches to the switch, and it's not unheard of for a switch to go bad.