PDA

View Full Version : Tach Meter

FZRguy
Fri Aug 29th, 2003, 09:23 PM
I have an ancient Stewart-Warner tach/dwell meter that I used in my hot-rod days to adjust points. Would like to use the tach to adjust idle speed on my bike. There are two leads from the meter...one red, one black. The black is easy enough, but the red? Thinking coils or maybe the ignitor unit or even the bike’s tach. I haven’t looked at it yet, so thought I would check if anyone has a suggestion before I blow something up.

mikesf4i
Fri Aug 29th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Wouldnt the red one have to go to the coil pos terminal? Which would of course only work on a car with only one coil. Doesnt your FZR have at least two coils if not four? I have a clamp on /inductive tach if you would like to use it. I have a chessy one and a good(read expensive)one. I will loan you the cheesy one if you want or we could meet up and use the good one. It shouldnt take that long to set your idle speed.

Hozerking
Sat Aug 30th, 2003, 10:29 PM
you should be able to connect the red wire to any of the coils on your bike and read the rpms just fine.

a multi cylinder engine is just a series of singles running off-set from one another but cyclically! so the rate of fire of one cylinder is indicative of the revolutions per minute of the whole engine.

-al

mikesf4i
Sun Aug 31st, 2003, 02:14 AM
yes but on a v8 engine with one coil it will fire 8 times per revolution

Hozerking
Sun Aug 31st, 2003, 08:09 PM
yes but on a v8 engine with one coil it will fire 8 times per revolution

guess I was assuming a coil per cylinder!

-al

FZRguy
Sun Aug 31st, 2003, 11:17 PM
Two coils, 4 cyls...just had to double the reading.