PDA

View Full Version : searching for basic how engines work book

MattTLS
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:10 PM
For a buddy who admits he doesn't really know but would like to learn. I know there's a ton of stuff online, but he has no internet access. I'd like to find a book or books that would cover both four and two stroke cycles, diesel, and Wankel. Gas turbines and such would be interesting, but probably a bit more than I'm looking for. Thanks.

By the way, I've been searching, but there's a cubic shitload of stuff to sift through, so I'm just asking for suggestions.

TransNone13
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
YouTube usually has a lot of good animations for all of those.

grim
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM
YouTube usually has a lot of good animations for all of those.

he doesn't have Internet holmes

TransNone13
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I completely overlooked that. For me that's not even an option to have.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
If he's that old fashioned, he should go to the library. I'm old enough to remember how many books the big ones have ;)

MattTLS
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM

It's certainly not by choice for him either.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM
You could probably find what you're looking for on Amazon and ship it to his door.

grim
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:25 PM

+1. library is your best option also borders is closing so you may find some books at a great price

MattTLS
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
You could probably find what you're looking for on Amazon and ship it to his door.

Both there and Barnes and Noble are where I've been looking, but those are also where a broad search brings up some 58k items and a much more defined search brings up very few results, and those have typically been more in depth than I think he'd want and/or too expensive.

MattTLS
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM
+1. library is your best option also borders is closing so you may find some books at a great price

Forgot about Borders closing. I'll have to look there, as I've found some good and somewhat hard to find books there.

OUTLAWD
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Intro to ICE by Richard Stone was an OK text assigned for one of my classes, covers basic-ish stuff along with thermal efficiency calcs and whatnot...there aren't really many good comprehensive books.

MattTLS
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Intro to ICE by Richard Stone was an OK text assigned for one of my classes, covers basic-ish stuff along with thermal efficiency calcs and whatnot...there aren't really many good comprehensive books.

Thanks Dave. I will look into it.

OUTLAWD
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 06:52 PM
library is your best bet...these things get expensive...also try half.com, but recently its turned to shit...

if it seems like the Stone book might be good for him, and he's a legit guy, I could lend it out i suppose

MattTLS
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
library is your best bet...these things get expensive...also try half.com, but recently its turned to shit...

if it seems like the Stone book might be good for him, and he's a legit guy, I could lend it out i suppose

Very much appreciate the offer, but unfortunately that wouldn't work. It'll have to be shipped and not likely to be able to return any time soon.

Wrider
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I know this is very motorcycle oriented, but this is a very good book for explaining the basics of internal combustion engines. Definitely covers 2 and 4 strokes, touches on diesels, and IIRC touches on Wankels too.
Motorcycle Service Textbook (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N299TK/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0870066544&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZVPGZQ57W6J2ERG5XHY)

AOK303
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 07:23 PM
FInd warren tech Kid steal his book