PDA

View Full Version : SV650S dead battery turned worse

Scatterbrain
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 09:38 PM
So I have a 01 SV650S that till Sunday was running fine. It wouldn't turn over for me sunday morning so i jumped it with the car battery and ran fine. 12hrs later when my shift is over started right up no problem and went home. Monday morning same thing had to jump it and ran fine that night too. This morning jumped it again and tonight dead as hell so i jump it and it's running in my garage while i'm looking over fuses, relays, wiring and the sorts. But it starts idleing weird and i look at my digital display and it's wiggin out like i shut it off and then restart it back up, but i didn't it was just sitting there idleing weird with the lights dimming here and there too. I shut it off tried again to turn it on again and it's deader than a doornail with no turnover what so ever. Is it the battery cause that was new last year? Wiring problem? Do V-twin's have an alternator like cars do that's maybe going bad? Please help i'm flustered.

Zach929rr
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Check voltages coming out of the stator and reg/rectifier.

Vellos
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Check the alternator and its connection. Sounds like the battery is dead-dead though.

Wrider
Tue Aug 9th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Check voltages coming out of the stator and reg/rectifier.

+1

Check the alternator and its connection. Sounds like the battery is dead-dead though.

I'd +1 you if it had an alternator, but definitely a dead-dead battery.

brennahm
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Age of the battery is inconsequential given the symptoms.

Vellos
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 10:26 AM
The "power generator" but yeah that's one dead battery.

birchyboy
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
If you haven't already, go to svrider.com and look around at the FAQ's in the tech section.

mxer
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 05:47 PM
99-01 are notorious for bad rectifiers

Scatterbrain
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
So it's definately the battery then huh....I'm also curious on the rectifier. How much does something like that cost and is it usually an easy fix to do by yourself or would it be something i need to bring into a shop? Thanks guys i appreciate the insight.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
So it's definately the battery then huh....I'm also curious on the rectifier. How much does something like that cost and is it usually an easy fix to do by yourself or would it be something i need to bring into a shop? Thanks guys i appreciate the insight.

Test your battery under load. You'll need a battery tester for this or go to Batteries Plus and they can test it. If your battery is good, use a multimeter to check your charging system.