PDA

View Full Version : Check your mirrors!

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Just wanted to remind everybody of a few things. One of my buddies got rear ended last night and I almost got taken out twice on the way home. One of them was VERY close. This is just a friendly reminder to be safe and stay attentive when riding.

Things that help at intersections:
1. Check your mirrors.
2. Ride defensively. Assume that the other people don't see you. Because they don't.
3. When coming to a stop sign/light, keep your bike in first gear until the person behind you has stopped.
4. When stopped, give yourself a way out if the person behind you doesn't stop. Be ready to go to the left or right of the car in front of you if necessary.

Be smart. My buddy was okay but it's mostly because he always wears his gear. It could have been much worse.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/287364_2263656468034_1147156241_2676737_1367009_o. jpg

Here is my accident from last year. SFB (stupid fucking bitch) was to busy on her cell phone to worry about stopping.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/33390_411957737725_580017725_4442796_1053923_n.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/33390_411957747725_580017725_4442798_1018834_n.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/33390_411957742725_580017725_4442797_5718370_n.jpg

bulldog
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Good post :up:

I honestly feel this saved my life one day or at least avoided a trip to the hospital when I was watching in my rearview at a stoplight and noticed the person did not see me and was not going to stop (they were on the cell phone). I moved in time to to see them skid by, tires smoking.

Mother Goose
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Watch out for the Prii! They're ninjas!

OUTLAWD
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
nice post man!

My roomate just got hit the other day...guy just barely bumped him...but still...

laspariahs
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I almost got taken out yesterday because some moron made a u-turn right in front of me, ON A ONE WAY STREET.

Be careful out there.

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM
My roomate just got hit the other day...guy just barely bumped him...but still...
That's lucky! My buddy last night was stopped and got nailed by the guy doing 20-30. He flew right over the handle bars.

Sully
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Sean - your friend looks like he was at a right hand turn with perhaps a yield sign? Too often, people are turning right and looking left and not seeing what is directly in front of their vehicle, thus, rear ending people.. A lot of drivers are so inattentive, it's scary to be on the bike most days :bigeyes:

Glad your friend is ok :up:

madvlad
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
It's definitely a jungle out there, glad he is okay though.

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Sean - your friend looks like he was at a right hand turn with perhaps a yield sign? Too often, people are turning right and looking left and not seeing what is directly in front of their vehicle, thus, rear ending people.Exactly! You're 100% correct. It's hard, as motorcyclists in this situation to have to look at traffic forward, oncoming AND worry about someone rear ending us.

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:10 AM
At stops I usually stop off set to the shoulder of the vehicle in front of me. Ideally they'll miss me and hit the car in front. I also try to avoid stopping in center lanes, at least if I'm in an outer lane I can move out of the way and if I get hit, maybe squirt somewhere other than the vehicle in front of me.

dm_gsxr
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
As a cager, I make a point to not look to my left at right turns until my path in front of me is clear. I can't tell you how many accidents I've avoided because the nimrod in front of me was too timid to merge into traffic.

On the bike side, I pretty much always stay in position on the bike with it in gear and either way to the left or right depending on which lane I'm in. Even if there is someone behind me stopped, it doesn't mean the SUV behind them is going to stop in time and push the car into me. If I'm not directly behind the car or truck in front of me, even if I'm pushed, I won't be crunched between the front and rear cars.

Carl

dm_gsxr
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
At stops I usually stop off set to the shoulder of the vehicle in front of me. Ideally they'll miss me and hit the car in front. I also try to avoid stopping in center lanes, at least if I'm in an outer lane I can move out of the way and if I get hit, maybe squirt somewhere other than the vehicle in front of me.

Unfortunately too many people use the shoulder lane as the OMG lane, not slowing in time so swerving to the left or right shoulder. I've had a few incidents where someone has ended up half way past the car in front of me!

Carl

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Yeah I know, what are you gonna do though? At least I won't be pinched. Sometimes your ticket's just up. Both of those accidents look like they could have been avoided if they were offset out of the "race line" lol.

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
These are all good points. I think everybody has their own variation of what they like to do. The most important thing is that we're all thinking about it, and not being inattentive.

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I know this is dangerous, but I don't ride with mirrors or front signals (use my hand when signalling to the cars in front is necessary). I ride a certain way to avoid being rear ended etc.

aerofaze
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the mid-season reminder. At stops, I try to remember to do all the recommended advice above, including flashing my brakes as cagers approach from behind.

Vellos
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Here is my accident from last year. SFB (stupid fucking bitch) was to busy on her cell phone to worry about stopping.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/mr7string/33390_411957737725_580017725_4442796_1053923_n.jpg

Damn Sean you needs new tires.

Also good post.

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Always wanted one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQKkZv8nBU

It'd be hard to miss that.

thankgod
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I hate the cagers who never use their turn signals...glad tp see that no major bodily harm was done (to you guys) but It hurts to see those bikes smashed by those idiot drivers... stay frosty out there.

thankgod
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:16 AM
lol rear ended by a Prius!!

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I know this is dangerous, but I don't ride with mirrors or front signals.Fuck yes that's dangerous! I admit, there was a point in time when I just used block off plates for the mirrors and had flush mount signals, but no more, it's not worth it to me. Be safe, man.

Thanks for the mid-season reminder. At stops, I try to remember to do all the recommended advice above, including flashing my brakes as cagers approach from behind.:up: Good tip. I'm a fan of tapping the brake when I can. Especially on the interstate as I come up on stopped traffic.

Damn Sean you needs new tires.
:lol: Yeah, I had just gotten back from a track day at Pueblo, so they were nice and melty.

bulldog
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
This is another reason why I don't understand why people remove their mirrors! Is it really worth it to make your bike look cooler?

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:20 AM
They're worthless and they're obnoxious. I accept the liability of putting myself at risk. To each their own. It takes a split second to glance behind you. And if you're aware of your surroundings, the split sec to hit something in front of you is moot. Ride like everyone and everything will kill you, and usually it'll be ok. Also nice if you track your bike a lot.

Ghost
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Always wanted one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQKkZv8nBU

It'd be hard to miss that.

That would definitely get noticed, I like it.

Pity the LEOs would ticket you the minute they saw it...

As to getting rear-ended, a lot of times there's no really good solution to this issue (in a car or on the bike).

I keep my bike in gear, I scan the mirrors, and I try to leave a gap to shoot into if I think I need it, but most of the time you're pretty well boxed in and there's no escape route...

...figures it was a f*ing Prius...I've nothing but contempt for them and their drivers. The Volvo Wagon used to be the #1 car to watch out for on a bike, now the Prius has solidly stolen its crown for "Shittiest Drivers Own These"...

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Depends how obnoxious of an option you select.

spdu4ia
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:33 AM
This is another reason why I don't understand why people remove their mirrors! Is it really worth it to make your bike look cooler?

meh... I run one barend mirror just for red lights .

grim
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM
im gonna disagree with you on that one mirrors aren't worthless you just have to adjust them properly so you can see whats behind you its a lot faster to just take a quick look into a mirror than to turn your head.

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
...figures it was a f*ing Prius...I've nothing but contempt for them and their drivers. The Volvo Wagon used to be the #1 car to watch out for on a bike, now the Prius has solidly stolen its crown for "Shittiest Drivers Own These"...You have no idea my disdain for the Prii. :guns:

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
im gonna disagree with you on that one mirrors aren't worthless you just have to adjust them properly so you can see whats behind you its a lot faster to just take a quick look into a mirror than to turn your head.

You know some bikes have mirrors that aren't very adjustable and/or vibrate tot he point you can't see clearly.

Ghost
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Depends how obnoxious of an option you select.

Yeah, but the "safety" aspect would seem to rely on the more obnoxious settings.

Though, fwiw, aftermarket LED taillights are way brighter than stock incandescent setups, so that might be worth the swap alone if your bike lacks LEDs (as mine does).

Ghost
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM
You have no idea my disdain for the Prii. :guns:

I think we're on the same page. ;)

I saw one on the side of the e470 getting gas from the Safety Patrol truck and SO wished I was in the car to take a pic...

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, but the "safety" aspect would seem to rely on the more obnoxious settings.

Though, fwiw, aftermarket LED taillights are way brighter than stock incandescent setups, so that might be worth the swap alone if your bike lacks LEDs (as mine does).

99% of the new bikes have LED tail lights now from what I see.

dirkterrell
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Fuck yes that's dangerous! I admit, there was a point in time when I just used block off plates for the mirrors and had flush mount signals, but no more, it's not worth it to me. Be safe, man.

I went the oopposite route with the VFR, adding more lights. I added a pair of GSX-R mirrors with the integrated turn signals so that there would be lights higher up in addition to the stock ones in the fairing. I don't give a shit about looking cool. I just want to maximize the odds of being seen.

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I know it's dumb. But I just have this OCD about cheesy looking mirrors and turn signals, and components in general. If Rizoma had made some billet mirrors for my bike, I would have purchased them.

Sean
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 12:00 PM
The point here is not to tell anybody to use mirrors or not, we all have the right to choose what works best for us. The main point is just a reminder to be aware of our surroundings. :up:

Ghost
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 12:02 PM
99% of the new bikes have LED tail lights now from what I see.

Yeah, but it took Honda 20yrs to ditch the square turn signals, so I'm betting the 600RR will finally catch up with LEDs in the next generation...which is already overdue...

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Signals are something most manufacturers cheap out on. /Cringe

These are turn signals:

http://www.rizoma.com/en/bikes-accessories/gid:7/indicator-light.html

SUPER bright.

gtn
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM
3. When coming to a stop sign/light, keep your bike in first gear until the person behind you has stopped.
4. When stopped, give yourself a way out if the person behind you doesn't stop. Be ready to go to the left or right of the car in front of you if necessary.

Definitely stay in gear and ready to launch until enough buffer exists behind.

I'm usually not comfortable with popping into neutral until there are three cars stopped behind.

I've had to launch up next to the car ahead of me before. It's scary, but felt good too that I wasn't crushed.

Thanks for the mid-season reminder. At stops, I try to remember to do all the recommended advice above, including flashing my brakes as cagers approach from behind.

Another brake light flasher. Gotta get their attention, otherwise they'll fixate on the brake lights of the cage in front of you and not even see you.

I know this is dangerous, but I don't ride with mirrors or front signals (use my hand when signalling to the cars in front is necessary). I ride a certain way to avoid being rear ended etc.

Stock mirrors due tend to be useless on sportbikes. I picked up a set of 1" convex stick-ons at Performance Cycle. Stuck them in the upper outboard corner on both sides. I can now see directly behind me.

cptschlongenheimer
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
bar-end mirrors + slightly convex = nearly a full 360 degree field of view.
FTW
Better looking than those stupid stock mirrors too.

For you gixxer owners, I've seen several different block off plates that will still give you a signal up top too.

Thanks for keeping us from getting complacent, Sean. :up:

TransNone13
Wed Aug 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Greggs Custom made some of those turn signals for my CBR, but they were shit in the day light.

dm_gsxr
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Another brake light flasher. Gotta get their attention, otherwise they'll fixate on the brake lights of the cage in front of you and not even see you.

I actually have one of the brake flasher modules on the 'busa. So grabbing the brake has it go bright, then blink in an off kilter pattern.

Stock mirrors due tend to be useless on sportbikes. I picked up a set of 1" convex stick-ons at Performance Cycle. Stuck them in the upper outboard corner on both sides. I can now see directly behind me.

I bought a pair of 1" mirror extenders that go under the mounts for my mirrors plus added the 1" convex stick-ons to the upper outboard on both mirrors.

If I see someone riding in my blind spot, I'll speed up or slow down depending on circumstances to keep folks in view. I accelerated off a light in the right lane somewhat lightly and discovered about half way to the left turn that the guy in the SUV in the left lane was trying hard to catch me. I discovered it when I was starting to change lanes though. A quick mirror check saw him, drop a gear and accelerate and I'm where I need to be to make the left.

Carl