PDA

View Full Version : Bike falls over to new Asphault

AOK303
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM
So my bike fell over in the park meadows parking lot today
not from driver error or anything from the new asphault they laid.

What i dont get is there is 5 holes from the Mall people trying to move my bike and i know it fell multi times, who's at fault?

probably up to 1000? worth of damage due to Rear Faring having scratch and 2 inch crack, Frame slide did save left faring but cause i still have the stock turns so it cracked at housing, other side is cracked like they tried to pull it up form the light? yeah... lame, Scratched the mirror up bad, handle bar end, both foot pegs even though passenger was in the up position

while i should of know not to park there i did, they are redoing the area bikes are to park normally so we were left to park in other places which they admitted to.

please give incite if there fully at fault or if i am, i know I'm stupid for parking on new asphalt and trust me I'm kicking myself

Ghost
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Sadly it'd be hard to prove them liable since even here you admit to knowing it was new asphalt and they'll say they're not responsible for damages just like they're not responsible if your bike got hit or stolen.

Basically, this is a comprehensive insurance claim at this point.

AOK303
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Sadly it'd be hard to prove them liable since even here you admit to knowing it was new asphalt and they'll say they're not responsible for damages just like they're not responsible if your bike got hit or stolen.

Basically, this is a comprehensive insurance claim at this point.

on the new asphalt they told me over the phone when i called in i didn't technically admit it and know not to, and it seems like they were waiting for call from someone to report a claim

Matty
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Seen that happen a few times. I usually put a larger flat rock or something under the kickstand on hot days.

I think you might be shit out of luck. That's what comp. insurance is for. But good luck!!!

zPurpleRoom
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
One should always keep a kickstand pad/plate in your leathers to prevent this from happening. If you are really cheap, just use a crushed aluminum pop can or ensure you park on concrete.

Sorry for your scratched/broken plastic. :(

AOK303
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:53 PM
i do have comp insurance

fasterlaster
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
It reminds me of a college job I had a Chilli's. Fortunately it didn't end up with any bike damage, but I put my 72 Triumph up on the center stand when I went into work. After leaving I came back to find that both the wheels were firmly on the ground, and the center stand sunk into the asphalt quite a distance. It was enough I had to give it some gas and drive it out of the hole it created.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Aug 11th, 2011, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13drTch7Et8

salsashark
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
IMO... If I were the property management company, I would tell you to pound sand. You are responsible for securing your vehicle. You parked it on hot asphalt. My guess is that the multiple holes were from the people trying to set it down and watching it sink into the asphalt. Not from it falling multiple times. I would tell you that you are responsible for the damage caused to the asphalt as well and that I'll need your insurance information. Asphalt repair isn't cheap and you went and punched a bunch of holes in it. Hot/cold weather, old/new asphalt, who cares... not our fault you chose to ride a motorcycle and park where you did. Now that being said, this reminds me why I don't miss being a property manager and having to deal with crap like this.

If I were you, I'd push them and try to get them to fix it. They carry millions in liability insurance for things like this... People are generally stupid and refuse to accept responsibility for the things they do. You would be amazed at the things people tried to get me to pay for when I managed shopping centers.

The property management company will turn it over to the insurance company just so they don't have to deal with you. The insurance company will either get it fixed or tell you that it's not their fault. The most you'll be out is a couple of weeks worth of wait time. In the mean time, get a repair estimate and use it to make the PM's life easier. Who knows, they may just pay you off without the insurance just to get you to go away.

It's worth a try right?

brennahm
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Honestly, I think it'd be pretty shitty for you to try and get someone else to pay for it. Yeah, you might be able to get them to pay...and that kind of behavior makes everyone's prices go up.

Shit happened, move on.

3D
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Crushed soda can works good for situations like that....

bulldog
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 07:54 AM
It is a lesson most of us have learned the hard way, so you aren't alone. Like others said the crushed can works great and if you aren't too proud you can usually find one at the nearest trash can.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I keep a kickstand plate under my back seat just for that reason. Sorry the bike's damaged man, that sucks. Just one of the things that you never think about until you see your kickstand an inch deep in the asphalt

salsashark
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
It is a lesson most of us have learned the hard way, so you aren't alone. Like others said the crushed can works great and if you aren't too proud you can usually find one at the nearest trash can.

While I've never had a bike fall over, my personal history with this sucked as well. I was working a proposal at my last job and since the web section was the last to do I went in late. Got to work around 6pm, parked the bike and went inside. When I came out around 2:30am, the kickstand had sunk, the asphalt had cooled, and my bike wasn't going anywhere... I had to get a ride home that night and waited the next day for the asphalt to warm up so I could get my bike out.

They started keeping stainless steel plates in the parking lot shortly there after.

birchyboy
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
While I've never had a bike fall over, my personal history with this sucked as well. I was working a proposal at my last job and since the web section was the last to do I went in late. Got to work around 6pm, parked the bike and went inside. When I came out around 2:30am, the kickstand had sunk, the asphalt had cooled, and my bike wasn't going anywhere... I had to get a ride home that night and waited the next day for the asphalt to warm up so I could get my bike out.

They started keeping stainless steel plates in the parking lot shortly there after.

That had to suck.

salsashark
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
^^ what really sucked was smelling like gas for the day because it was the only thing I could find that would get the tar off of the kickstand :D

ChrisCBX
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM

I went in to work once and had parked my bike on its center stand on a HOT summer day.

I came out at the end of the day and the bike had sank in so deep, I couldn't get it off of the stand. I've been more careful with parking ever since.

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Think we've all been there.

I came out of my college apartment and saw my bike at about a 45° angle and ready to go over, had to get help to get it unstuck since it was so far over and the stand was trapped.

Another time a friend parked in the same spot as another bike and while he canned his stand the other guy hadn't so when it fell over it collected my friend's bike on its way down.

Ricky
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Suck... Definitely a comp insurance claim.

Oh yeah, and carry a stand puck. I used to have issues with my bikes here at work on long days. The puck fixes that.

Vellos
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I replaced all my stickers with Vespa ones so I can park on the sidewalk. ;)

Aracheon
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Suck... Definitely a comp insurance claim.

Oh yeah, and carry a stand puck. I used to have issues with my bikes here at work on long days. The puck fixes that.

I've come out to the parking lot after work once to find my bike leaning over 50 degrees to the left and the kickstand punched into the asphalt a couple of inches. Luckily, it didn't fall over.

Now I carry a puck.

Ricky
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've come out to the parking lot after work once to find my bike leaning over 50 degrees to the left and the kickstand punched into the asphalt a couple of inches. Luckily, it didn't fall over.

Now I carry a puck.

Yeah man... What's funny is my CBR doesn't do it like the Ninja 250 did. I'd come out and it'd be buried, but it never once fell over. Then I got smrt and got the puck, lol.

BC14
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Live and learn

Jim_Vess
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM
What with all the "parking it on the centerstand"? You should never use the centerstand when you park a bike in a public lot outside. That's just asking for it to get knocked over.

The triangle formed by both tires and sidestand is a lot more stable than the skinny triangle formed by the centerstand and front tire.

Use a crushed soda can, puck, or dead squirrel and park your bike on the sidestand.