PDA

View Full Version : Go outside and look up

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Might have to get out of the light pollution area to see it at it's finest, but tonight is the night to get out and go look...or skip it and sleep...

The Perseid meteor shower, one of the best celestial treats of the year, will be visible in night skies throughout Colorado in early August.

The natural fireworks will be most active Aug. 8-15, peaking Aug. 12 during the early morning hours between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. when more than 50 meteors per hour could be visible, according to experts at the Fiske Planetarium at the University of Colorado at Boulder.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/r/9d077cbf266205a9da093cd16e872ddb.html

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Well I don't work tomorrow so looks like I may stay up for this.

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
The Moon is probably going to wash out a lot of them, but you should see a few good ones, especially after midnight.

Jmetz
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Just to clarify, 2-4am Aug. 12 already happened. You would be gearing up for the early morning hours of 8-13.

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Lol nvm then, I get to sleep lol

OUTLAWD
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
+1 for what Dirk said...full moon might wash most of it out...last year i went up by carter lake and the shit was amazing

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
No, that's just bad reporting. The peak is indeed expected to be tonight but you'll even see a fair number of them over the next few nights.

Devaclis
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
^^^^^ This armchair rocket surgeon does not know what he is talking about!!

Wrider
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
+1 for what Dirk said...full moon might wash most of it out...last year i went up by carter lake and the shit was amazing

We used to head up to Flaming Gorge Reservoir every year to watch it... No light pollution meant a gorgeous show!

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 02:13 PM
^^^^^ This armchair rocket surgeon does not know what he is talking about!!

The key is to have friends who do. 8)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM
i'm gonna see it!

mastap07
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:02 PM
wawawewa!

mtnairlover
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Might have to get out of the light pollution area to see it at it's finest, but tonight is the night to get out and go look...or skip it and sleep...

Sweet!

Thanks, Jon. I know what I'll be doing in the early mornin' hours of Saturday. ;)

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Sweet!

Thanks, Jon. I know what I'll be doing in the early mornin' hours of Saturday. ;)

Anytime :D

It's definitely worth it.

RajunCajun
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Dam, I just ran outside to try to kill the little bas tards that keep popping fireworks across the street, in the middle of the night. If I would have read this before, I would have been more excited and looked up.

TheStig
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Ok I just saw like 40 bright lights by the moon and now they are gone!? Is this what I just saw? They didnt appear to be moving?

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Saw a couple on the Full Moon ride up Trail Ridge last night. Moves pretty fast.

asignguy1
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM
:pointlaugh:^^^ THOSE WERE ALIENS...:silly:

Ghost
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ok I just saw like 40 bright lights by the moon and now they are gone!? Is this what I just saw? They didnt appear to be moving?

Those are either stars that got washed out of vision by the moonlight or...aliens...

The meteor shower is basically a lot of shooting stars, if you're somewhere outside city lights you should have seen them at their peak last night.

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
:pointlaugh:^^^ THOSE WERE ALIENS...:silly:

Wait.. did you say Asians? :lol:

TheStig
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah ok they were not moving like meteors. They were still and then I pulled in and went out back and they were gone. Even walked down the street to see if it was an angle thing.

kinda freaked out haha

mtnairlover
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Asked my kids if they wanted to join me early in the morning on a drive up to Trail Ridge to see the shower. My 20 year old daughter said, "Sure!" Ha!. I got her out of bed at 3am and we went up to the Rock Cut area of Trail Ridge. Saw the full moon, shooting stars and a wonderful sunrise. I then treated her to breakfast in Estes at the Egg and I just for entertaining her dorky Mom. T'was a good morning and absolutely beautiful way to start my weekend.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/Scenery/trail_ridge_sunrise.jpg

Ghost
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Asked my kids if they wanted to join me early in the morning on a drive up to Trail Ridge to see the shower. My 20 year old daughter said, "Sure!" Ha!. I got her out of bed at 3am and we went up to the Rock Cut area of Trail Ridge. Saw the full moon, shooting stars and a wonderful sunrise. I then treated her to breakfast in Estes at the Egg and I just for entertaining her dorky Mom. T'was a good morning and absolutely beautiful way to start my weekend.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/mtnairlover/Scenery/trail_ridge_sunrise.jpg

Nice!

rforsythe
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Trail Ridge is cool, but nothing beats this guy's view:

http://news.discovery.com/space/astronaut-photographs-perseid-meteor-from-space-110814.html