PDA

View Full Version : noob friendly canyon ride! 8/13/11 Updated location

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
So doing some morning riding tomorrow, if anyone is interested.

Noob friendly ride, don't plan to go very fast so just a heads up. More suited for people who want to learn the canyons and get used to their bikes at an easy pace. Thinking about 9:30 am @ 7/11 on HWY 93 and washigton KSU 10 am.

Decided to do Golden Gate to 119 to nederlands to 7 then lyons. Might hit up the bike expo at Dick's sporting goods park afterwards just to check out what they have going and mellow out for a bit.

Ride your own ride, gear recommended (helmet, jacket, gloves) but well you all are old enough to make your own choices and know the consequences of riding with no gear so with that said you wear what you want but I always encourage safety first. so yea come out to enjoy the day, the ride and meeting new people perhaps.

Swift
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I'll be there to sweep. Would recommend against Squaw Pass for a newb ride but of course it's your decision.

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hmmm good point, I wasnt thinking that one through. Any ideas?

Swift
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Lots of options from moco. None of which I would really suggest for newb rides considering the last calmish ride I hosted ended with Darth eating a guard rail on parmalee gulch.

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Well cause I figure we won't be going fast so that first part of the squaw pass should be okay

Swift
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Eh, your call.

Jmetz
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Berthoud pass noob ride our gtfo!

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Berthoud pass noob ride our gtfo!

I dont think I've been out there

Jmetz
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I-70 & us40. Basically a series of tight to hairpin turns climbing up the side of a mountain.

http://www.scn.org/sbtp/BerthoudPass1.jpg

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Yea definitely never been out there, how far is this?

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/berthoud_pass.htm

http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/images/berthoud_pass.gif

Basically, it's the way to Winter Park, and while some may not like Squaw, if you're leaving MoCo it's kind of an easy shot to do Squaw up & over and then head up to WP

Jmetz
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Just west of Idaho Springs. Definitely not noob friendly though.

Clovis
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I liked Squaw. There are expansive section of fresh pavement.

I'll be up Berthoud Pass sometime tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you guys.

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I just have a problem leading people down a road I've never been on.

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I liked Squaw. There are expansive section of fresh pavement.

I love 1/2 of Squaw, hate the back side with the rivers of sand, the potholes, tar snakes, and general shit condition of the road...

However, once you get up and out of that, it's probably my favorite "local" road to MoCo...If they'd make a loop of it, I'd ride it non-stop. :D

Clovis
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
They do make a loop! :) You just get to the end and turn your bike around!

I love 1/2 of Squaw, hate the back side with the rivers of sand, the potholes, tar snakes, and general shit condition of the road...

However, once you get up and out of that, it's probably my favorite "local" road to MoCo...If they'd make a loop of it, I'd ride it non-stop. :D

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:06 PM
They do make a loop! :) You just get to the end and turn your bike around!

Yeah, not quite the same, plus it tends to rile up the locals if they see the same bike buzzing back and forth 800 times...still, sometimes it's nearly a compulsion to do it at least twice, especially with that tasty new pavement...

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Yea squaw pass is fun except for that part

Clovis
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Very true! Horse power hill and south Deckers (hwy 67 just south of the store) is like that too.

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I dk what to do for route tomorrow... Bah.

Ghost
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I dk what to do for route tomorrow... Bah.

Well, if you're trying to find a route without guardrails, canyons, or corners you're going to be up all night looking for something--unless you want to cruise the 25 to the 70 and back...:eyebrows:

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Might just do G.G to 119 to nederlands to 7 and lyons... Golden Gate is not bad.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
...considering the last calmish ride I hosted ended with Darth eating a guard rail on parmalee gulch.

I don't know what you're talkin' about...the Triumph looks just fine! =P

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Lol updated location guys, shorter route and might hit up the expo afterwards

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Bump, if theres no interest I will probably stick to the original route.

mr.white
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
If noone is going maybe we could do this a little earlier?

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Well I can't say cause there are people that lurk though they don't post and they might show up but can't tell until the KSU time is up and then I can change plans. I think there is an earlier ride that was posted.

Clovis
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 11:31 PM
You're welcome to join us. I'll be at MoCO at 8 and KSU at 8:15.

3 of us are going up that way. Call my cell in the morning if you want to come. 719-201-9383 or post here real quick.

madvlad
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I would but like I said I already posted and dk if there are riders already planning for this certainly don't want to leave them hanging so have to wait till after the 10 am KSU to change plans if there are no shows but for swift and I...

Swift
Fri Aug 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I'm gonna throw the towel in dude. I wanna go check out the Expo tomorrow.

WolFeYeZ
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I'll be coming I think.

madvlad
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I'm gonna throw the towel in dude. I wanna go check out the Expo tomorrow.

Thats cool man, I may stop by afterwards

I'll be coming I think.
Okay, I'll be there till close to 10.

Cap'n Crunch
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Damn - this sounds like a good ride, but unfortunately I've commited to going cycling this morning. Im going to try to cage it over to the expo later, so I might see you guys there. I'm kicking around the idea of heading to hwy 7 tommorow, if anyone is interested.

madvlad
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Damn - this sounds like a good ride, but unfortunately I've commited to going cycling this morning. Im going to try to cage it over to the expo later, so I might see you guys there. I'm kicking around the idea of heading to hwy 7 tommorow, if anyone is interested.

Might join you as well tomorrow possibly

mastap07
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
yay work

MilkMan
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Had a great time on the first part of the ride with you guys! Hope your enjoying the rest of it! Took boulder canyon back and that road is AWESOME, but way way way too much traffic. Might have to hit that road up sometime this week to see how the traffic is! Had a great day though and really starting to feel more comfortable on the bike! Thanks for lettin us tag along!
-Mick-

Clovis
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Traffic today has been unbelievable, the worst I've seen it.

madvlad
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Well turned out not to be such a noob ride after all lol, had fun guys.

MilkMan
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I'm still a newb lol! Was nice to meet you madvlad and wolfeyes. The traffic was pretty bad, but we had mostly clear roads for the first part of our ride. The group of Harley riders that were taking pictures well riding in the damn mountains was real nice too.
-Mick-

Shanky
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I had fun with everyone today. Sorry if Ryan (ThrillHill) and I stole your ride.

madvlad
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Oh no big deal man, it was a fun ride all in all plus no crashes so always a plus. Not many people showed up anyways that were new anyways so all good lol

WolFeYeZ
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I had fun with everyone today. Sorry if Ryan (ThrillHill) and I stole your ride.

From my point of view it was allllll gooooood. It was nice riding with you dude. Looks like madvlad has one posted for tomorrow before the BBQ.

madvlad
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry about holding you guys up today, my riding wasn't all there today as I didn't sleep well last night so decided not to push too hard.

WolFeYeZ
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Sorry about holding you guys up today, my riding wasn't all there today as I didn't sleep well last night so decided not to push too hard.

Dude no worries. You ride safe and I sure do respect that.