PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Bolt

Vellos
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I torqued a bolt 1/8th turn after it snugged (~12 ft/lbs) and the damn thing broke. It is on the front sprocket cover so I am able to take it off and see both ends of the bolt. Thankfully it is not stuck inside my bike, but I'm not sure how to get it out...

Ideas?

Ted
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 02:48 AM
pics ???

fasterlaster
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 02:57 AM
A bolt extractor may work (it's a reverse thread drill bit with a portion to tension against it). I have a set if you want to borrow and try it, but I'm south of you pretty good.

Wrider
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
A bolt extractor may work (it's a reverse thread drill bit with a portion to tension against it). I have a set if you want to borrow and try it, but I'm south of you pretty good.

+1, they work wonders...

Ezzzzy1
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM

+2... If you dont go that route you can always just drill it out but if you have never done that its a little tricky.

Good to know someone out there is taking the extra steps to make sure their sprocket cover is in place to spec :lol:

Vellos
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
The bolt keeps my speed reader on so it would be nice to have that working proper like. ;) Fasterlaster are you going to the CSC BBQ?

CaneZach
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Or you can pick up a set of left hand drill bits or extractor bits at Home Depot and have a set in case you need then again.

buddahson
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM
mcgukins has both a left hand drill bit and bolt extractor. Had to pick them up there a few weeks back. alteratively if the bolt is through the other side a bit you can try to latch on some vice grips and either back it out or turn it the rest of the way through.

Jesterbass21
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Easy out works the best. you drill a small pilot hole and then using the reverse bit (bigger threading) it loosens up the bolt bites and pulls it out

brennahm
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Sure sounds like you could just grab it with Vice-Grips...or is it flush on both sides?

If even a little is sticking out you could grind a slot in the end and use a flat head screwdriver.

Zach929rr
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Georgieboy: I'll bring my cordless, bits, easy outs, etc to the BBQ.

thankgod
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
First of all you're riding a Kawi, may I suggest a Honda or Yaha??:slap:?

CaneZach
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
First of all you're riding a Kawi, may I suggest a Honda or Yaha??:slap:?

Nah, it's just a broken bolt. There's no need to go back to training wheels just because a bolt snapped.

fasterlaster
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
The bolt keeps my speed reader on so it would be nice to have that working proper like. ;) Fasterlaster are you going to the CSC BBQ?

Unfortunately no ;( I'm working. Sounds like Zach has you setup, but just let me know if it doesn't work out and we can figure out something.

OUTLAWD
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
dood...quit working out so much...

I would vise grip it.

Vellos
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Georgieboy: I'll bring my cordless, bits, easy outs, etc to the BBQ.

Sounds good. I'll have to milk-crate it out there on my bike. But if that doesn't work I'll just take the cover off and bring it in ze cage. Will be there around noon or so...

dood...quit working out so much...

;)