PDA

View Full Version : My bike is hawt

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Well that, and it's HOT!!

After a spirited run from Winter Park over Berthoud, I noticed the engine temperature climbing as I descended towards Henderson. Then, all the way into Empire it was running at +260F, the "Hi" engine temp warning flashing red at me. At one point I saw it registering 284 degrees. :puppy: To the point where I was short shifting and coasting it to try to get it cooled down. I took US40 the rest of the way home. It hovered around the teens and 20s with a short jump into the 30's through Idaho Springs.

I flushed the coolant back in the spring and ever since then it's "normal" cruise temperature is around 220 +/- 10. (6th gear at 6K rpm, running about 65-70 on the hwy)

Is that too hot? :dunno: Not sure why it spiked like that as I wasn't running it hard on the downhill side of the pass.

Ghost
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah, 284's pretty hot, even 260 is up there.

I was actually just on that same road today, and even varying between spirited and the traffic causing a rolling road block at times I never saw over 220 +/-

All I can suggest is check your cooling system for low coolant levels/air in the system and/or check your water pump and thermostat and fan operation...radiator isn't coated in mud or something is it?

Bueller
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I don't know much about these high powered bikes you guys ride but I would look to see if the cooling system needs to be burped when you do a full change, might have a big ole air bubble in there.

TransNone13
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
+1 above. I had a heating problem in one of my bike until I fell over on some gravel, got that bubble out...

Tylar
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
If this were a car and no changes to the cooling system or leaking prior, I'd say thermostat, but I'm not sure if these things have them. I want to say they do. I've never had to change one or been in a position to check for one.

**EDIT

Thought about this some more.

The ability for it to keep cool is largely dependent on circulation through the radiator. Since your radiator is likely still on the bike, then it must not be circulating properly.

Thermostat stuck closed: preventing proper circulation.
Water pump: the very thing that circulates it.

fasterlaster
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It may also be an easy fix. Did you verify that the radiator fan was running. If it got that hot it sure should have been. Might be as simple as a blown fuse.

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
The fan usually kicks in around 220. Thinking it's an air bubble.. it has been making gurgling noises.

Ghost
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Pretty sure GSXRs have a bleeder valve

Can't find anything on the 2008s, but here's a thread about a 2006 that might help

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188890

fasterlaster
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
The fan usually kicks in around 220. Thinking it's an air bubble.. it has been making gurgling noises.

Sure sounding that way, but be sure and verify that the fan is still operating correctly (or are you saying you heard the fan while riding?)

Ezzzzy1
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Sounds like an air bubble for sure. Either that or the water pump is going/gone. Gurgling is most always a bubble.

Good new is thats a simple fix, I would just flush the system and you should be good to go.

rybo
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Also consider replacing the radiator cap. They go bad over time as the spring in them gets soft. A lot of times when I've had cooling problems simply replacing the radiator cap and topping up the coolant has solved the problem.
s

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Pretty sure GSXRs have a bleeder valve

Can't find anything on the 2008s, but here's a thread about a 2006 that might help

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188890

Thanks I was able to locate a PDF for the K8. LOL to purge air from the system the manual recommends leaning the bike left and right. Surely some engineer must've thought of this on a Friday afternoon before happy hour. :rolleyes:

The bleeder screw is on the water pump (down on the lower part of the motor; you'd think to bleed air you want it on the high point of the system.)

OUTLAWD
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
gurgling= boiling over...

I hope you just have an air pocket, anything over 240 and you are chancing head gasket damage. as it was while it was moving, I'm going to not say fan, as it doesn't do much at speed. maybe water pump impeller?

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Well, the oil isn't milky.. so I avoided head gasket damage........I think. (hope?)

OUTLAWD
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks I was able to locate a PDF for the K8. LOL to purge air from the system the manual recommends leaning the bike left and right. Surely some engineer must've thought of this on a Friday afternoon before happy hour. :rolleyes:

The bleeder screw is on the water pump (down on the lower part of the motor; you'd think to bleed air you want it on the high point of the system.)

I do the lean method...works great. I might also upgrade to a 1.4 or 1.6 bar cap whilst you are at it. Performance stocks them IIRC

asp_125
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I do the lean method...works great. I might also upgrade to a 1.4 or 1.6 bar cap whilst you are at it. Performance stocks them IIRC

Thanks, cheap insurance.. while I'm at it.

Ghost
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Least you have a bleeder on the GSXR, Honda apparently doesn't think it'd be useful to have one....:mad:

Cap'n Crunch
Sat Aug 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I believe street bikes have a thermostat and I've seen simular symptoms on cars when the thermostat gets stuck closed. If the air bubble thing does not work out, that would be the next thing I checked. 284 is way too hot. I get worried when my bike gets over 230...

BC14
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Yes, bikes have a thermostat similar to cars, otherwise they'd never warm up in the winter. Jeff, I've also noticed that your fan seems to run all the time when I'm out riding with you. Check the radiator fins for debris. Run water, under somewhat low pressure, through the radiator back to front. I do that with my bike every time I wash it. No issues with mud/debris. I also run a radiator guard to keep as much bug/rock junk from getting embedded. Like Dave said, you're risking some serious engine damage with the temps that high(cracking a head/blowing a gasket). Hope you can get it all sorted out.

mxer
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Can you burp a bike like a car? Open the cap when it's cold, start the bike, let it warm up and circulate coolant then stop the bike and put the cap back on?

Bueller
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Yes, and there are bleed points on some engines.

Ghost
Sun Aug 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Can you burp a bike like a car? Open the cap when it's cold, start the bike, let it warm up and circulate coolant then stop the bike and put the cap back on?

That's actually how Honda recommends you do it in their service manual, so yes, you can.

Yes, and there are bleed points on some engines.

GSXRs have a bleeder