PDA

View Full Version : some riding from Palomar , San Diego

Radek
Tue Aug 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
friend of mine crashing at 0:17 taking out photo guy , lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foKPoQfu1NU&feature=player_detailpage

mdub
Tue Aug 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM
nice pics.. the music score takes me back trying to catch glimps of boobies from the b.h. show.

CoronaKOK
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Its so rediculous up there, the turns are not even that technical, but every squid & his brother head up there and wad up bikes nonstop.:puppy:

salsashark
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I had to turn it off when I saw the RC-51 with a stretched swing arm... :cry:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:23 AM
almost every picture the riders weren't even in their lane. :down:

UglyDogRacing
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:46 AM
almost every picture the riders weren't even in their lane. :down:

it was the same way years ago when i was riding. most of the crashes were either head on's from riders going wide or going off and hitting the guard rails.

OUTLAWD
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 09:26 AM
thats just stupid...

UglyDogRacing
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 09:41 AM
it was a fun road, just way too many riders on it especially inexperienced riders. 7 miles from the bottom to the top going up over 4000 feet in elevation with over 20 hairpin turns, most of them blind entry and decreasing radius.

SaShWhO
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM
wonder if this photographer tries to sell the images to the riders that crash!?

CoronaKOK
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Got blue milk used to sell pics, & also palomar pics.net...hahah

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
it was a fun road, just way too many riders on it especially inexperienced riders.

Never been there, but it sounds like Deal's Gap, it was fun years ago when I lived (briefly) in the South, now it's all jammed with squids, cars, and cops...

Of course, our roads this summer are/were pretty crash-tastic too, but not at the rate that Palomar seems to get.

If I lived out there, I think buying a tow truck would be the easiest way to make $$ ;)

asp_125
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Fun road, closest thing we have to it is Lookout Mtn. Rode it back a few years ago.

Jim_Vess
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
When I was stationed in San Diego in the last century, we rode Palomar all the time. Back then it wasn't very crowded and we didn't see many idiots - a few, but not tons like it appears there are now. I don't think a lot of people knew about it at the time.

It was a very fun road.

asp_125
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
'course, only the idiots get posted up on Youtube notwithstanding the countless others that ride it just fine.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM
you sure about that...it looks like everyone on that road crashed.

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Lots of deaths over the years at Mt. Palomar - I used to live about 30 mins away in Oceanside. Great road...its in really good shape (or was when I used to ride it). Just examples of people pushing too hard. Back in 98 when the R1 came out I heard of several guys crashing them and being killed. An interesting thing about Palomar and hwy 94 is the cops/sheriffs or whatever will drive right by an accident....kind of an "i told you so" moment for them I guess. I routinely flew by them at high speed and was never chased or hardly looked at. There was an immigration check point on hwy 94 back in the day that guys would fly by at speeds approacing double the limit.
Anyway, yeah...the decreasing radius turns on palomar have caused some accidents and given guys like me too good a view at the front of an suv coming the other direction.
IMO the best road in that area was highland valley road between escondido and ramona (if i remember correctly) - I rode it every week for a while...tight turns and faster turns, almost no traffic, but gravel was often on the road.

asp_125
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Mother's Kitchen.. mmmm.. pie!!!

Hwy 94 was muy bueno. A buddy of mine took me out that way; roller coaster ride spitting distance from Mexicali with good pavement and no cars.

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
For sure,at one point I also lived in Chula Vista just off of telegraph canyon road....a great place to live. I'm glad those days are over...I'm lucky to be alive after some of the stuff I did there. But yeah...hwy 94 FTW with its high speed sweepers...esp that one right hander in particular on the way out east - it was kind of a big fast almost circle. and it was downhill too...lots of fun.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM
where in Oceanside were you? i lived there in 03-04.

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I lived in a town house community in Oceanside near one of the gates to Camp Pendleton in 2003-2004 then I moved to Chula Vista. The street I lived on in Oceanside was called Festival drive. At that time, I bought a 2003 ZX6R - it was when the 636 first came out...what a great bike that was back then.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM
i lived near Canyon and Mission. i hit palomar almost every week.

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Way cool! small world....I must've seen you there. I had a black 2003 zx6r. I didn't go to palomar anywhere near that much....but I was there quite a bit. I never did the "top your bike out on the back of palomar mtn" thing. Did you ever ride sunset highway? or sunrise hwy, can't remember the name.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Way cool! small world....I must've seen you there. I had a black 2003 zx6r. I didn't go to palomar anywhere near that much....but I was there quite a bit. I never did the "top your bike out on the back of palomar mtn" thing. Did you ever ride sunset highway?

i had two gsxr1000's at the time; a black and silver 01 and a silver 03. i was roommating with a girl that rode tht was a sgt in the marines. usually was riding with a pack of girls on bikes. :)
where was sunset hwy?

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
It was out east....I can't remember how I got there. It had rounded ribs running the length of the road for water drainage. It was very strange because when you turned in, the bike would settle in to a rounded groove - it was an unsettling feeling, difficult to explain. I think it was called sunrise hwy.

asp_125
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Sunrise hwy, it goes south out of Julian (mmm pie!!) but I don't recall the grooves.

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sounds familiar...I rode it back in 2000 if I remember correctly maybe 2001? The rounded grooves are something I'll never forget. I think it was really pretty up on top of the mountain area with all of the pine trees. Yeah, great pie in Julian....and I could buy them at a roadside in Escondido...the strawberry rhubarb.
Man this thread is way off topic :)

UglyDogRacing
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
i rode alot of roads that i dont rember the names and i did ride up around Julian alot. i was there when the whole place burned down in Oct 03

ian22
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 03:52 PM
remember the gas prices up there? It was like 5.50 a gallon at some point...I think.

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM
remember the gas prices up there? It was like 5.50 a gallon at some point...I think.

Don't feel bad, just wait, soon you'll get that here!