PDA

View Full Version : Racing school for first-time track rider

MisterDeadman
Tue Aug 16th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hello all,

I am looking to get into some MRA racing, but I have never taken a racing course to recieve my novice lisence. I have found the Ricky Orlando page, and that program gets great reviews, but it's always good to have input and options. What are your guys' (and gals') thoughts on good racing schools in Colorado?

Also, track instruction clearly goes further than getting one class under your belt. Are there programs run with any regularity that could help me when I get my lisence and some track time in?

Thank you,
Jim

FZRguy
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:28 AM
http://www.chicanetrackdays.com/

OUTLAWD
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Jeff Brown, the MRA New Rider Director, mentioned something about partial day schools where you would be evaluated for licensing at the last meeting. Not exactly sure how he works these.

There is also the Superstreet class, where street riders can race with minimal bike prep. After two of these races, riders are eligible to petition for a MRA license.

this might get more informed answers over on the MRA forum http://forums.mra-racing.org/

dragos13
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 06:23 AM
The Superstreet Class with the MRA would be perfect for you this season. You can atleast get your feet wet. It includes class instruction, track sessions and a race at the end of the day.

Next year, I would suggest taking the MRA Race School. Doing this will really help you understand how the race weekend flows, the flags, and everything you can expect out of a race weekend (all the basics atleast).

I was an instructor the last two years with the MRA so if you have any question let me know.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM
These are your options to get your MRA race license:

Take the MRA's Superstreet class which is run on the Saturday's of our race weekends. After you complete 2 classes, you are eligible to petition the New Rider Director for you Novice license. I posted this thread up awhile back that contains all the info you will need - http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39037
Take the MRA's New Racer School which is run at the start of every season, usually around April.
Take a one on one class with the MRA's New Rider Director or other board member.
Take a class with one of the instructors in Colorado that the MRA has designated as being able to license a racer (these are former MRA New Rider Directors); Ricky Orlando, Mark Schellenger or Mike Pettiford.
For more information, see the New Racer Q&A section on the MRA Forum - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=2

Scatterbrain
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Good forum i've been wondering myself how to get started. I'll check out the links and the other thread as well.

MisterDeadman
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
These are your options to get your MRA race license:

Take the MRA's Superstreet class which is run on the Saturday's of our race weekends. After you complete 2 classes, you are eligible to petition the New Rider Director for you Novice license. I posted this thread up awhile back that contains all the info you will need - http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39037
Take the MRA's New Racer School which is run at the start of every season, usually around April.
Take a one on one class with the MRA's New Rider Director or other board member.
Take a class with one of the instructors in Colorado that the MRA has designated as being able to license a racer (these are former MRA New Rider Directors); Ricky Orlando, Mark Schellenger or Mike Pettiford.
For more information, see the New Racer Q&A section on the MRA Forum - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=2

Thanks for that link to your post, here. That was some excellent info!

That superstreet class seems like a good way to go, then I can pick up more skills via some one on one time in the future. I ride a ninja 250r and was hoping to run it in the production cup, would this be adequate for running the superstreet event or would I learn better riding a 600+ cc bike? That's really my goal - to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

Thanks again,
Jim

asp_125
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
The 250R is plenty enough for Superstreet; if you go in with the mindset you're not out to win the race, just learn how to race. That class is run what you brung, anything from 250's to liter bikes.

Bueller
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:46 PM
If you plan on racing the 250 you will want to ride it as much as possible, so don't worry about riding it in SS. As a new track rider you will learn quicker on the small bike than trying to do so on a 600.
I would suggest doing some open track days or head up to IMI to get some time on a track and get used to your bike in that setting. People are always happy to help a track newb learn the basics of track riding if you just speak up and ask for some help.

mikesf4i
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Don't forget about the last Rocky mountain MINI MOTO race at IMI on sept 11th. Its a great group and an excellent way to get into some racing action for cheap! We will be at Bandimere this Sunday racing minis if you want to come out and meet some of the guys. Be sure to check the thread on this forum about Chicane Trackdays event on sept 5th. Scott runs an excellent program that is well suited for beginners and experts alike

MisterDeadman
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Don't forget about the last Rocky mountain MINI MOTO race at IMI on sept 11th. Its a great group and an excellent way to get into some racing action for cheap! We will be at Bandimere this Sunday racing minis if you want to come out and meet some of the guys. Be sure to check the thread on this forum about Chicane Trackdays event on sept 5th. Scott runs an excellent program that is well suited for beginners and experts alike

I'm actually still looking to pick up gear for the track, and I have a couple parts on order so I'm not on two wheels till mid september (Amazon seller was located in Thailand... Sucks!), but if there are any more events before the freeze I'd certainly be interested in heading out with you all. I'm not an ego maniac, so I'll take all the coaching I can get!

MisterDeadman
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 10:24 PM
If you plan on racing the 250 you will want to ride it as much as possible, so don't worry about riding it in SS. As a new track rider you will learn quicker on the small bike than trying to do so on a 600.
I would suggest doing some open track days or head up to IMI to get some time on a track and get used to your bike in that setting. People are always happy to help a track newb learn the basics of track riding if you just speak up and ask for some help.

I've heard they let you run for $35 a day at IMI on the karting track, and that sure seems like a bargain. Like I said in the previous post I'm totally open to coaching/criticism, so I'll definately be asking for help on everything from body position to track etiquitte.