Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
They don't.

:slap:

TransNone13
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Context or PSA?

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, my dad built an Oldsmobile for the drag strip. He rode a wheelie all the way down the onramp to US Hwy 169.

The cop that pulled him over asked 100 questions and wanted to see all about the car, then let him off with a warning that if he ever saw it on the road again he'd have it impounded.

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Back in the 70's when I was a kid, my dad built an Oldsmobile for the drag strip. He rode a wheelie all the way down the onramp to US Hwy 169.

The cop that pulled him over asked 100 questions and wanted to see all about the car, then let him off with a warning that if he ever saw it on the road again he'd have it impounded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwDlobymMk0

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Context or PSA?

Careless Driving. 4pts. Most likely plea bargained down to 2 pts. Cops were cool despite the stupid bitch who called me in.

TransNone13
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Laaame. Calling people in is sick. You're not a fucking cop, you're not even a LEO in any way, shape, or form. Go about your business ma'am.

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
despite the stupid bitch who called me in.

Gotta love how that's happening more and more...every angry POS will take it out on you for anything just to make their empty lives feel better...

madvlad
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:42 PM
She seriously called you in over a wheelie?... Wtf

OUTLAWD
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
gottdayum dirtbikes

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
She seriously called you in over a wheelie?... Wtf

Clearly, she should call to elevate the national threat level to Orange since a wheelie can endanger more lives than a dirty bomb...

grim
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
stupid question time...Is it illegal to do a wheelie on an OPEN road?

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
She was about 2 blocks behind me. Saw me do it, sped up to me and called in my plate. I just thought she was another dumb female on the phone while driving and speeding.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'd take that shit to court and plead not guilty. They'll subpoena her to testify against you at trial, and chances are, she probably won't show up. 50/50 chance... I'd take those odds.

Ricky
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I'd take that shit to court and plead not guilty. They'll subpoena her to testify against you at trial, and chances are, she probably won't show up. 50/50 chance... I'd take those odds.

This.... Also, request a continuance as many times as you can (3 I think?), so she's even more annoyed by it.

madvlad
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM

I believe so, cops will give you a ticket even if you are new to riding and accidentally pop the bike up. Seen it happen.

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:06 PM

Here is where it is fucked up. Cop shows up and said he saw me do it too. Said he was on the cross street. BULLSHIT. I know for a fact no cop was around there. Pretty sure they got the call, one cop pulls me over hearing it on the radio, another cop shows up saying he saw me do it too. Easy ticket issued.

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:07 PM

One of the LEOs on here can answer that, but I'd assume it falls under Careless Driving or the like (unnecessary display of power, etc.).

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
This.... Also, request a continuance as many times as you can (3 I think?), so she's even more annoyed by it.

Abso-fuckin-lutely. Inconvenience the piss out of her. :up:

TransNone13
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
This reminds me of yesterday. (In term sof self-rightous drivers.) I was on a merge lane and was cutting it close to the incoming traffic but WAS coming to a stop for them. I thought they were going to start throwing their shit at me. They looked like a bunch of monkeys going apeshit in the car? I was confused, and appalled so I flicked them off. I enjoyed seeing the wife return the favor and all hell broke loose in the car.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Here is where it is fucked up. Cop shows up and said he saw me do it too. Said he was on the cross street. BULLSHIT. I know for a fact no cop was around there. Pretty sure they got the call, one cop pulls me over hearing it on the radio, another cop shows up saying he saw me do it too. Easy ticket issued.

Plead not guilty anyway. I would assume here that if he "saw" you do it, he would have to have been facing the cross street, which would I would infer to mean that his dash cam would have caught you in the act as well. Assuming they show up, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you did what you did.

However, I would consider taking down your YouTube vids of you pulling wheelies, in case the DA has the wherewithal to start looking you up on the internet.

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM
To be honest, I will probably just take the plea bargain since my record is clean. I just had my insurance renewed so the ticket may not even show up til next year for the insurance rates. LEO said it would most likely be dropped down to 2 pts. I would like them to drop it down and rename it. I don't want "careless driving" on my record if I have future altercations.

asp_125
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Plea bargain it down to a fix-it citation or something, "careless driving" can haunt you as it can mean any number of moving violations.

BC14
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
No "fix-it" statute in CO, but you might be able to plea down to unsafe lane change or something.. :dunno:

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
It was my understanding that they can't lower the points for the specific infraction. They actually change the infraction to reflect the lower points. i.e. Speeding.

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
To be honest, I will probably just take the plea bargain since my record is clean. I just had my insurance renewed so the ticket may not even show up til next year for the insurance rates. LEO said it would most likely be dropped down to 2 pts. I would like them to drop it down and rename it. I don't want "careless driving" on my record if I have future altercations.

I'm pretty sure the court can can pull up your records and they will show that the original charge was reduced to whatever it ends up as.

Not sure what LEOs can access when they pull you over.

brennahm
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I pulled an illegal left turn. Got it pled down to improper equipment.

Also, as much as it sucks, the average person has no idea what a wheelie entails and how safe they may be at times. Her calling it in doesn't mean her life is empty. I've called guys in for tearing down the west side of Eisenhower cutting cars off on an icy road. It's called being a responsible citizen.

Graphite675
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Be glad your not in Florida. A couple of years ago they passed a new law specifically for wheelies. $1000 first offense (+points), $2500 second, and third is a Felony offense, probably going to jail and you'll have a felony charge on your record.

mdub
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
gotta love the classic from NWA.

Ricky
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Also, as much as it sucks, the average person has no idea what a wheelie entails and how safe they may be at times. Her calling it in doesn't mean her life is empty. I've called guys in for tearing down the west side of Eisenhower cutting cars off on an icy road. It's called being a responsible citizen.

Oh, so you're the guy in the left lane doing 25mph under the speed limit because you "THINK" the road is icy, or because you believe what every sign on the road tells you... like "caution... 25mph turn ahead". I understand the argument of being a responsible citizen, but me tearing past you anywhere because you won't move the fuck out of the way, is ME DRIVING RESPONSIBLY. I don't want to be near people like you who drive like complete morons, so over cautiously... so I speed my ass past you to GET AWAY FROM YOU. Unfortunately, you make it difficult for people. I know the control of my vehicle in every condition, better than you do. Stop making the rest of us drive like you do... Move over, get the fuck out of the way, and maybe people won't cut you off.

Sean
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
You got caught (no matter how) doing something dumb. Technically yes, she's a SFB (stupid fucking bitch) but technically you were doing shit you shouldn't on public roads. Send it in, pay your "I like to do shit I shouldn't" tax and move on.

And yes, see if it can be called something besides Careless driving if lowered, that can jack your ins.

mdub
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM
oh boy.....seems like folks drive even more cautious when it rains...and it always baffles me when there is an accident on the hwy in blue sky perfect summer days.

Clovis
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
A couple of weeks ago there was a ride to Bishop's Castle. Right as we hit Ft. Carson on Hwy 115 a CSP Trooper pulled in front of the group and pulled us over. A woman in a mustang called *CSP and reported they were passing on double yellows. She specifically pointed out the two bikes in the front (who both got tickets for it). The trooper didn't witness it but was able to issue a ticket based on the citizen complaint.

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I pulled an illegal left turn. Got it pled down to improper equipment.

It's called being a responsible citizen.

I suppose that's one word for it...not the first one that jumps to mind...

Honestly, it's not being responsible, it's being scared, and tattling to the authorities because you don't think anyone should be driving other than however you're driving.

Clearly you made an illegal left, so you're not perfect either, do you need people following you around calling in all your mistakes and lapses in judgment (as perceived by them)?

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
A couple of weeks ago there was a ride to Bishop's Castle. Right as we hit Ft. Carson on Hwy 115 a CSP Trooper pulled in front of the group and pulled us over. A woman in a mustang called *CSP and reported they were passing on double yellows. She specifically pointed out the two bikes in the front (who both got tickets for it). The trooper didn't witness it but was able to issue a ticket based on the citizen complaint.

Don't fear Big Brother, it's Little Brother that'll put you up against the wall...

Clovis
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I'm just curious, has anyone ever had a cop show up at your house after the fact? I've wondered if anyone has called in my plate to complain.

If you make it home first, is that like saying "SAFE!" and tagging the pole?

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm just curious, has anyone ever had a cop show up at your house after the fact? I've wondered if anyone has called in my plate to complain.

If you make it home first, is that like saying "SAFE!" and tagging the pole?

Had it happen to people I know, not me directly.

Unfortunately, there's no 'safe' in this game...

Clovis
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
That's why I always wave when I pass somebody.

I don't want to piss you off, but I also don't want to be stuck behind you for miles and miles of twisties waiting for passing lane.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:22 PM
...The trooper didn't witness it but was able to issue a ticket based on the citizen complaint.

Sure, but tickets are not set in stone until the hammer falls. If you plead not guilty and take it to court, said citizen has to appear and testify against you.

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
That's why I always wave when I pass somebody.

I don't want to piss you off, but I also don't want to be stuck behind you for miles and miles of twisties waiting for passing lane.

You might be able to execute it safely on a bike with time/room/space to spare and visibility throughout if you do it right, but god forbid someone decides to call you in for doing it "carelessly" or you're going to get a visit from your local LEO...

This whole World of the Petty Person who has nothing better to do than rat on their cell phone is really a step back for our freedom to be left alone and just ride your own ride.

Yes, if you cause a harm, fine, you deserve to be punished, but all this malum prohibitum "I'm going to tattle" bullshit really needs to go...

Banning cell phones would help, as in the "old days" usually by the time someone got home they'd gotten over whatever terrible offense to humanity they'd witnessed and just went about their business...

Clovis
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
That's true but they don't exactly make it easy.

I had to go to court 2 weeks ago for a speeding ticket. I got there at 9am and didn't get out until around 12:30. Since they called cases in a random order and told everyone "If we call your name and you're not here, you will go to the back of the line" I didn't leave to refill my parking meter.

2 Hour max so I came out with a $25 parking ticket on top of the $125 ticket :(

Anyhow, the point being is I think most people will just plead it to be done with it, rather then having to give up their entire morning or day more then once.

Clovis
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
On the plus side, there's usually no cell service where these things happen (ie the mountains). By the time they get to the next town where there is cell service you're long gone and maybe made a turn or two.

On another note, several years ago a LEO (Trooper) on the CRN board (ColoradoRacing.Net) said that if they get enough complaints about on a plate they will send a trooper to your house for a tongue lashing.

I never pass a car just for the sake of passing. I'll patiently wait until I have enough room and scoot by.

Sarge
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I was actually "that guy" once about two months ago, but I feel it was for very good reason. 99% of the time, I just swear at myself or honk the horn when somebody is being a douche, talking on their cell phone, doing 10 under in the passing lane, merging in to my lane and almost running me over, etc.

But the other day, I was actualling pulling in a McDonald's, in my wife's neon, with her and my son in the car. I was preparing to make a left into the parking lot off of a paved access road, there was another car coming in the opposite direction, who was also pulling in to the parking lot. Finally, when this car has completed it's turn, I move out basically to follow it, when this schmuck who was TWO CARS behind me jumps into the OPPOSING lane of traffic, almost T-bones me, I slam on the brakes, and then he jumps in behind the car in front of me. I was pissed, to say the least. Anyway, I see this guy in McDonald's, he has an infant and maybe a 15 year old boy, and he's yelling at them, being a total dick "hurry up and eat your f*cking french fries" etc, and then he rushes out and throws his kids in his brand new Chrysler Town & Country. I also saw the Military post decals on his vehicle. Needs to say, I phoned in a report, with his description and tag number, the officer got a hold of him, the guy basically admitted to it, said that I was "obstructing traffic" and that I should get a ticket, and he went nuts on the cop, screaming and yelling. "I was in a hurry! I had to get my kids to swim practice!"

Whatever, it was beyond a dick move, and the guy was obviously a douche, so the cop served him with a Careless Driving citation. This was weeks ago, and I haven't yet been notified of a court date or anything, so maybe he just took it and paid the fine, but if I do hear anything I will definitely not hesitate to show up at court. This guy absolutely deserved it.

Ted
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I never pass a car just for the sake of passing. I'll patiently wait until I have enough room and scoot by.

+1 . :up: Another reason why early rides are more fun, fewer cars to pass....

brennahm
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Man Ricky, you really are good at controlling your vehicle, like when you crashed your knobby shod WR trying to follow ME on a race slicked DR-Z on sandy dirt roads? Don't be a fuck. I never ride the left lane, am usually one of the faster ones on the highway especially in winter, and try to NOT piss of other drivers. You weren't there. But this guy ran two cars OFF the road.

Ghost, please show me where I said I was perfect. And I did say that it sucks. But ultimately, I don't understand the excuses that people here like to make. If you break the law and get a ticket, don't bitch. OR...don't break the law. Brad's bitching about this way less than the mob on here and he's the one with the ticket.

Finally, by extension, if someone sees a guy steal your bike...they shouldn't tattle?

Ghost
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM
^Malum Prohibitum vs Malum In Se, calling over theft is to prevent the latter, not the former. It's not an extension, it's apples and oranges.

Calling the cops every time you think you saw someone possibly do something wrong, and you don't like it, is entirely different.

Filo
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I've called people in too. I called in someone doing 25 in a 45, weaving back and forth across both lanes and stopping at a green light, then going when it went red and driving half way on the side walk. It was about midnight on a Saturday, so I figured I would be an ass hat and get that responsible driver in trouble for nothing...

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think this thread is full of apples to apples comparisons.

/sarcasm

Yeah I did a small wheelie and got caught. I will pay my fine and accept my consequence. I would have rather gotten caught by somebody who actually enforces the laws, rather than some power hungry cunt who doesn't like motorcycles.

Very different from a guy who steals a bike, or a guy doing 160 down I-25.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Jacked part of this story is, if I remember correctly, neither of the two guys that got tickets had passed on double yellow. The beotch was just pointing and the cop was just writing tickets.

stubbicatt
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:22 AM
To the two guys who got the tickets, make sure you set your cases on separate days and do as many continuances as you can. That same cop has to show up each time the trial is set, for each of you. Make sure one of your fellow riders from that day also shows up each time in case the case doesn't continue. That busybody woman will be there six times. Will probably lose her job. And if she doesn't show up, ask the court to show cause her for failure to comply with a subpoena.

Perhaps the cop will be more circumspect on writing such nonsense in the future.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 07:21 AM
To the two guys who got the tickets, make sure you set your cases on separate days and do as many continuances as you can. That same cop has to show up each time the trial is set, for each of you. Make sure one of your fellow riders from that day also shows up each time in case the case doesn't continue. That busybody woman will be there six times. Will probably lose her job. And if she doesn't show up, ask the court to show cause her for failure to comply with a subpoena.

Perhaps the cop will be more circumspect on writing such nonsense in the future.

What a mess all around.... Clovis, now that I think about it do you think that the cop that was pulled over was working the construction work or do you think it was a makeshift roadblock?

Xtremjeepn
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Cop will LOVE YOU for that! If it's his work day you are taking him off the streets. If it's his day off then he gets paid overtime!!! Either way, he gets paid!

The more you screw around like that the more money he actually makes!....and all he has to do is show up!

Clovis
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:41 AM
They were both from the construction zone that was further up the road (I asked).

What a mess all around.... Clovis, now that I think about it do you think that the cop that was pulled over was working the construction work or do you think it was a makeshift roadblock?

Devaclis
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Why are people so pissed off when they get caught breaking the law? Don't be pissed at the police or the people who reported you, be mad at the law itself if you want to have any credible argument. Consequences are not there to coddle you.

[LIAR LIAR]STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLE![/LIAR LIAR]

Mother Goose
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
So I have video of people running stop signs, cutting me off, basically putting people in danger, call it in and they say they can't do anything. A dumb bitch calls you in for a little wheelie and they issue you a ticket? Wow.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
So I have video of people running stop signs, cutting me off, basically putting people in danger, call it in and they say they can't do anything. A dumb bitch calls you in for a little wheelie and they issue you a ticket? Wow.

Thats why these tickets seem soo easy to beat... Who knows. Just sucks watching someone get a ticket for passing on a double yellow that was behind me and never passed the car that called it in.

I would be out of my mind frustrated about the wheelie! The cop adding in that HE saw it too? I would have gone flucking nuts! :fire:

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
^^^Motorcycles are da debil.

Meh, I'm kinda on both sides of this. I mean, calling in somebody who's breaking the law in the car can be a good thing. i.e. calling in a very obvious DUI who can hardly keep it on the road. Granted, that's much worse than seeing someone speed, pass on dy, or pull a wheelie, but to average Joe citizen you're driving like an asshole.

This is one of those reasons why some of us that have been around a while preach about our "image" to the rest of the caging world. It has impacts on the rest of us.

I'd be willing to bet money that lady got tied up by some stunters blocking the whole damn highway off to do wheelies, or something similar, and she sees you pulling your wheelie and says to herself something along the lines of "I'm fucking sick of these crotch-rocket-assholes and am finally going to do something about it!"

Same thing with that crazy asshole in TN: that vid of him chasing the bike that passed on the DY? I guarantee that is not the first time he got passed by a bike, and had probably had much worse encounters with bikes on that road that nearly caused accidents and was just fed-up.

Your behavior on the road can impact the rest of us.

Just my $0.02

vort3xr6
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thats why these tickets seem soo easy to beat... Who knows. Just sucks watching someone get a ticket for passing on a double yellow that was behind me and never passed the car that called it in.

I would be out of my mind frustrated about the wheelie! The cop adding in that HE saw it too? I would have gone flucking nuts! :fire:

I was very sketpical about the whole thing. I look everywhere before I bring up the front wheel. There is NO WAY the cop was where he said he was. But like I said, I did the wheelie, I will pay the consequence, and frankly, if it ends up being a 2 pointer, I got off really easy.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I was very sketpical about the whole thing. I look everywhere before I bring up the front wheel. There is NO WAY the cop was where he said he was. But like I said, I did the wheelie, I will pay the consequence, and frankly, if it ends up being a 2 pointer, I got off really easy.

I agree with ya man. I feel like if the cop had ACTUALLY seen you it would have been worse.

On a side note... I got the thumbs up years ago from a cop when he saw me doing a standup on 25. I shit my pants, put the wheelie down and put my hand up to say sorry. Dude had the biggest grin I have ever seen.

Devaclis
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have been pretty close to getting caught twice. Now I just practice on school yards or up in the hills.

willb003
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM
school yards

:lol: At 3 pm when class lets out?