PDA

View Full Version : HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung Charge Verizon 4g LTE

Keyser Soze
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Who has what? I've gone through 6 Thunderbolts. They havent been able to hold a date connection for more than 30 seconds. Anyone else have issues with their 4g LTE phones? Anyone have the Samsung Charge?

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I LOVE my Thunderbolt. (Granted, I hated it until I put CM7 on it, but it's been a workhorse for me.) That, and I'm grandfathered into an unlimited data plan for $22/mo. None of this tiered shit for me. :)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
go back to your hole Rob...not you archaeon. :lol:

Keyser Soze
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm grandfathered into it too. Sucks they fixed the free hotspot glitch. When it works I get 20 down. Crazy fast...when it works. Think I might go into the phone business.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/Mean1967/Tbolt.jpg

Keyser Soze
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
go back to your hole Rob...not you archaeon. :lol:

It's fuckin hot here.

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I'm grandfathered into it too. Sucks they fixed the free hotspot glitch. When it works I get 20 down. Crazy fast...when it works. Think I might go into the phone business.

Root it. Flash CyanogenMod 7. Use the built-in WiFi tether. Problem solved.

Take a look at XDA Developers. There's known issues with the LTE radios in these phones, and the different firmware versions seem to be hit or miss with people. Only thing on my phone that doesn't work like a charm is the GPS, but I use it so infrequently, I can wait until the CM devs fix it.

Keyser Soze
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Stupid question...does rooting it void the warranty in anyway?

Aracheon
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Stupid question...does rooting it void the warranty in anyway?

Yes it does. But... the Thunderbolt can be un-rooted as well.

laspariahs
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 05:59 PM
The droid bionic is about to hit, it's gonna be awesome. Finally a reason for me to upgrade from my OG droid.

JustSomeDude
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I have the Thunderbolt and love it. But why buy now with the Nexus Prime rumored to be around the corner? I just hope that shizz is available on Verizon. I <3 vanilla Android.

http://www.newsden.net/android-ice-cream-sandwich-photos-suggest-google-nexus-prime-launch-9220/

Also check out rootzwiki.com... there are some good AOSP roms out there. OMFGB is my favorite - but you have to be willing to deal with bugs while the devs get the AOSP tweaked properly for the Tbolt. The only downside to CM7 is that the primary dev (Slayher) has announced that he's pretty much relegated CM7 development to the few spare minutes he can snag here and there since his wife had a baby a few weeks back. Dad job is #1 (understandably so).

So, unfortunately, CM7 updates are few and far between, whereas OMFGB has a nightlies updater (typically a bi-weekly these days), that allows updates within the ROM itself. Pretty slicksauce.

nextraztus
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
When it works I get 20 down.

Too bad "back in the day" when 4G was first being talked about there was promise of over a 1gbit down when the towers got a lock on a stationary mobile.

And 100mbit on a moving one.

/sigh

TransNone13
Wed Aug 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I have the Thunderbolt and love it. But why buy now with the Nexus Prime rumored to be around the corner? I just hope that shizz is available on Verizon. I <3 vanilla Android.

http://www.newsden.net/android-ice-cream-sandwich-photos-suggest-google-nexus-prime-launch-9220/

Also check out rootzwiki.com... there are some good AOSP roms out there. OMFGB is my favorite - but you have to be willing to deal with bugs while the devs get the AOSP tweaked properly for the Tbolt. The only downside to CM7 is that the primary dev (Slayher) has announced that he's pretty much relegated CM7 development to the few spare minutes he can snag here and there since his wife had a baby a few weeks back. Dad job is #1 (understandably so).

So, unfortunately, CM7 updates are few and far between, whereas OMFGB has a nightlies updater (typically a bi-weekly these days), that allows updates within the ROM itself. Pretty slicksauce.

Looking forward to the new Nexus. Owned both. Unless they make a CDMA and GSM version of the phone, I doubt you'll see it on Verizon. I don't like the CDMA infrastructure either.

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
What's not to like about it now that we have LTE?

GSM is a bargain basement technology. CDMA's voice quality is better, Verizon's coverage in rural areas seems to be better than AT&T/T-Mo, and with LTE, we can now do voice/data at the same time.

TransNone13
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I always buy unlocked phones. It allows me to swap out prepaid Sims state side and I can use international carriers abroad. Good luck doing that with a CDMA phone.

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
There are Verizon phones with GSM radios in them that can be used abroad. ;-)

TransNone13
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Unlocked?

Keyser Soze
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:41 AM
WTF is an "ice cream sandwhich" phone?

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Unlocked?

Many can be unlocked the same as a GSM phone can, yes.

WTF is an "ice cream sandwhich" phone?

Ice Cream Sandwich is the latest Android OS.

Keyser Soze
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Many can be unlocked the same as a GSM phone can, yes.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the latest Android OS.

Damn, I need to catch up. What's the deal with the Thunderbolt coming with Froyo, can you only get Gingerbread if you root it?

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Damn, I need to catch up. What's the deal with the Thunderbolt coming with Froyo, can you only get Gingerbread if you root it?

Yes sir.

Zach929rr
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Love my Bolt. I haven't done a thing to it either, although I was looking at mods back when I had first gotten it. Might be time to do some rootzin.

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I hate the bloatware that Verizon installed on it out of the box. My primary reason for rooting and reflashing it.

Zach929rr
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Indeed. It still annoys me after having it for a few months and is my primary reason for wanting to change it up. Was just looking into omfgb...

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I wasn't that impressed with their ROM, truth be told.

The only thing with CM7 that doesn't work on my phone is the GPS, which really doesn't bother me that much. But I'm also running their first Beta release and haven't upgraded to one of their latest releases.

Keyser Soze
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I hate the bloatware that Verizon installed on it out of the box. My primary reason for rooting and reflashing it.

The Charge seems to have twice as much bloatware as the Tbolt. Not sure I want to keep it. Screen brightness is overkill and over saturated. I like the looks and feel of the HTC a lot more, just cant get it to hold a data connection for shit. 6 phones, all had the same issues. Last three have all had audio jack issues too.

Aracheon
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I'm wondering if it's not the area you're in.

Does it do this everywhere? Is it 4G or 3G data it can't hold onto? Have you tried isolating the phone to 3G or 4G only?

Zach929rr
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Recently my bolt start going between 3g and 4g more than it used to, as well as intermittent radio lock ups which require either a software on/off or a full reboot.

Keyser Soze
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'm wondering if it's not the area you're in.

Does it do this everywhere? Is it 4G or 3G data it can't hold onto? Have you tried isolating the phone to 3G or 4G only?

I told em the same thing, gotta be network, but they said it's all good. The Phoenix area is pretty solid. Hard to get a good tech support agent though. None of em can even look at tower traffic and see if it's just overloaded and booting people off. I live a block away from a 4g/3g tower and it wont hold either one. Wont even default to 1x. At work same thing. It'll show the connection and work fine for a short period of time then the the connection just disappears.