PDA

View Full Version : Garbage truck hit and run :(

Clovis
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Yesterday morning I parked my car on the street in front of a client's house. While we were talking a garbage truck came through the neighborhood. We joked "Wow he's really close, I hope he doesn't hit the car."

When I got back to the car 30 minutes later I came to this:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/jdharward/IMG_1280.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/jdharward/IMG_1279.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/jdharward/IMG_1278.jpg

It's a 2011 WRX :(

I called my insurance company and they suggested calling the company first but if not successful I could file a claim and pay out the deductable.

I called Waste Management and told their customer service rep what happened. She told me she was sending an email to the local district manager and he would contact me later.

I'm not holding my breath. I did a little googling and found other similar stories with Waste Management and the overall theme is you get told "wasn't our truck" and then ignored. The only other option after that is to sue in small claims court.

Keyser Soze
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Jebus. I'd be pissed...even if it is just a Subi :D I'd be surprised if WM steps up and takes care of this. Sucks dude. Good luck!

McVaaahhh
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Their first reaction is always to say "not my fault".

If you've got a buddy that's a lawyer, ask them to pen a letter. that usually gets their attention.

Good luck!

Clovis
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I got a call from the district manager. He asked what happened / how it happened.

He's going to get with the route supervisor and get back to me. So far so good. I originally called the customer service number only 30 minutes ago. Maybe it helps that I'm also a customer? ;)

Mother Goose
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
If I saw that and thought they were close to my car, I'd walk over there and make sure nothing happened.

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Good Luck man...

ChrisCBX
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I had something similar happen years ago.

Mid winter, I look outside and see a big city snow plow go down our street. Like you, I thought, "wow, that was close" when he passed by my car.

I went out later in the day and found a fine scratch that went down nearly the length of my car door. It amazed me that a rig that big could come so close and leave that fine of a scratch.

I hope WM does the right thing and pays for your repair.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM
NOOOOOO NOT THE RIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TransNone13
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
NOOOOOO NOT THE RIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you liked rims.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I thought you liked rims.

only when your mom's given em out :lol:

TransNone13
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
only when your mom's given em out :lol:

Vile

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Vile

:lol: you going to be there on Saturday? We may have to exchange punches :lol:

TransNone13
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
:lol: you going to be there on Saturday? We may have to exchange punches :lol:

We'll see how my move goes. And punches? I told you I would blood choke you.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM
We'll see how my move goes. And punches? I told you I would blood choke you.

:wtf: whatever helps you sleep at night sport!

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
:lol: you going to be there on Saturday? We may have to exchange blows :lol:

You cheating on Vellos now?

TransNone13
:wtf: whatever helps you sleep at night snookums!

It appears that you don't know what that is, carry on.

grim
You cheating on Vellos now?

Yea what can i say im a dirty slut!

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Back to the original post that sucks man hope you get it taken care of nobody wants to see a car on the road looking like that!!!

mdub
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
absolutely...that wrx is a sweet ride. i would like to have one. WM, thats a big company they'll probably man up, cause if you go as far small claims court, i do believe you can sue for 3x the amt.

asp_125
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Sux but you at least have your client as a witness.

Clovis
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Update:

I sent photos of the damage to the route supervisor this morning. I just got off the phone with him. He says that he came out and looked at the car (didn't ring the door bell or anything) and in his opinion it wasn't one of his trucks.

Basically the reasoning behind it that if one of his trucks had hit the car, they would have taken the doors off (aka more damage). He took a bunch of pictures and sent them to his boss and I'm waiting to hear back but it doesn't look like they're going to man up.

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Update:

I sent photos of the damage to the route supervisor this morning. I just got off the phone with him. He says that he came out and looked at the car (didn't ring the door bell or anything) and in his opinion it wasn't one of his trucks.

Basically the reasoning behind it that if one of his trucks had hit the car, they would have taken the doors off (aka more damage). He took a bunch of pictures and sent them to his boss and I'm waiting to hear back but it doesn't look like they're going to man up.

Figures. Pity life isn't like TV or CSI could match the paint chips and tires and have a holographic display of the WM truck sideswiping your Rex...

modette99
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
This is why stuff like this if it happened to me I would of called the cops and reported a hit & run with me and my friend seeing it happen. Your friend be a key witness in saying yep that truck hit that car right in front of us and kept going. I would of never told the story like you said here...because it was obvious from the get go they would not man up.

I got to agree with another poster...you should of walked out and looked...then called the cops like I said. Driver be arrested for hit & run especially as you HAVE a witness. WM would be covering the damages or your insurance who would sue WM themselves to recoup the money.

Clovis
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Update:

I didn't hear anything from WM since Friday so I called today and got a call back from their insurance adjuster this afternoon.

They're investigating it but it's still isn't looking good. I went to a body shop this afternoon.

Holy shit batman, $2733. I guess it's a little more involved then replacing the door and repainting these days.

To be continued!

The GECCO
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 04:42 PM
I wonder if it would be worth it to pay a lawyer to type up a quick letter?

The legal standard in civil court is a preponderance of the evidence. In criminal court it's beyond reasonable doubt. In percentages, this means that in criminal court you have be somewhere around the 95% mark to prevail as the plaintiff (prosecution). In civil court, you only have to get to 50.00001%. If you have a respectable, believable witness, this is a rather easy standard to meet, and this should be pointed out to them. They can either pay the actual damages now, or, when you prevail at judgement, they can pay the actual damages, your attorney's fees, their attorney's fees, and possibly punitive damages as well.