PDA

View Full Version : **Need help**

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Anyone coming through denver want to help me?? just did an oil change on my bike, drove it to work today, checked levels, added a bit more...just died on me while trying to leave work?!?! hoping to go to the bike night, but now it does not look good. I'm near I-70 and I-25. please call me if you can help

Mike
720-833-8299

P.S. Thanks in advance

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've no truck/trailer or real way to help, but did you check the oil levels now, is it dry or is there oil in it?

Will it turn over and not fire, or is it not even turning over (seized)?

mdub
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:00 PM
it might be vapor lock as well, if you are low in gas. its hot as texas out there.

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Fuel: Check over 1/2 tank. it ran for 5 mins before i left work. Got to the end of the street, and it died. Has electrical...

Oil: Check

Cranks but does not start. Tried to bump start it and it felt like it wanted to go...but did not turn over.

Jmetz
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Did you over fill the oil?

Can you check for spark?

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm going to sound really stupid right now, but i have no effing clue how to check to see if it is getting spark.

And my motor calls for just over 4 qts, i have exactly 4 quarts in it as we speak.

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Kill Switch off?

Kick Stand fully up/switch connected?

Fuses all good?

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:20 PM
all fuses are good.

Had kick stand up: in 1st, clutch in.
: Neutral (with clutch in/out

Kick stand down: in Neutral (clutch in/out).

Nothing for any of those.

Killswitch was on while trying to start...

I'll be the first to say, i don't know a goddamn thing about working on bikes...but can start and stop them just fine! haha

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Vent your gas tank?

If you cycle your key does your pump prime (whining noise)?

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Vented..

And, yes, stuff is making noise down there...now is it the fuel pump? not too sure.

I put my fingers on what i thought was the fuel pump and cycled the key. i didn't feel anything really moving, but it did make noise

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM
G-Force or Fay are probably closest Kawasaki dealers, both closed at 6...could still call see if anyone answers...

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
would the bike still turn over if the kick stand switch came loose?

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Vented..

And, yes, stuff is making noise down there...now is it the fuel pump? not too sure.

I put my fingers on what i thought was the fuel pump and cycled the key. i didn't feel anything really moving, but it did make noise

If you cycle the key and hear a whine it's your fuel pump, nothing else really sounds like that.

What's your bike temp at? Did you ever get over 260?

Jmetz
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm going to sound really stupid right now, but i have no effing clue how to check to see if it is getting spark.

And my motor calls for just over 4 qts, i have exactly 4 quarts in it as we speak.

You should have a check window for your oil. If it's over the full line this can be bad. To check for spark you will need to pull a spark plug wire off and hold it close to metal as you start the bike and watch for a spark coming out of the wire.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:29 PM
would the bike still turn over if the kick stand switch came loose?

if it's not making proper contact it won't start see if you can push the switch in with your fingers then try to start the bike.

if the bike was turning over it wants to start but something electrically is keeping it from starting

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
when checking the level, is it on the stand...or standing up?

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:33 PM

standing up

Jmetz
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM

If you filled to the full line on the side stand you over filled it.

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM
just looked at it again.

there is no oil level line. but the window almost filled up when it was straight up and down. Then i checked the kick stand switch, tried to start it, and no the battery is almost dead. haha. FML!

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Standing up. Sometimes hard to see and do solo, but can be done.

Some kickstand switches kill the engine even if the stand is up if they're loose or broken, faulty kill switch will let the bike turn over but not start.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
if the oil level goes past the glass when the bike is upright you overfilled it. wish you were closer man I'd ride over and help you out.

Trainwreck
If you filled to the full line on the side stand you over filled it.

Manual called for 4.5 quarts if the oil filter was changed. and i had 4 quarts for the change. so it's not overfilled. it's right under the top of the sight glass.

Ghost
just looked at it again.

there is no oil level line. but the window almost filled up when it was straight up and down. Then i checked the kick stand switch, tried to start it, and no the battery is almost dead. haha. FML!

If it's a window there should be two little lines on the side of the glass, probably hard to see but should be raised slightly.

longrider
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Oil level sounds OK, full is usually within a 1/4 inch of the top of the sight glass with the bike straight up. What is interesting is I will be seeing a ZX10 next week with the same problem. It just stopped running like it was out of gas. In his case spark has been confirmed. Sorry I cant be of any more help here

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
But if it were over filled...would it run for 5 mins before it shut down?

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Manual called for 4.5 quarts if the oil filter was changed. and i had 4 quarts for the change. so it's not overfilled. it's right under the top of the sight glass.

If it was running and died and didn't overheat, and isn't overfilled, and isn't vapor locked, then I'm thinking electrical issue...

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Well...i'm just going to call it a wash, and hopefully one of my mechanics here at work might be able to figure it out tomorrow. Thank you all for trying.

-Mike

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Well...i'm just going to call it a wash, and hopefully one of my mechanics here at work might be able to figure it out tomorrow. Thank you all for trying.

-Mike

Sorry man.
Good Luck.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM
yup definitely something electrical either your kickstand switch neutral safety switch or ....

Jmetz
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Where are you at? I get off in about an hour. I can swing home and pick up my dirt bike ramp and we can move your bike. It's a steep ramp so it might be a bitch..

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:47 PM
yup definitely something electrical either your kickstand switch neutral safety switch or ....

Or loose ground?

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Sorry man.
Good Luck.

Shit happens...just means i get to spend an undisclosed-at-this-time amount of money! good thing i got a good check this week!

What really bums me out the most is i wont be able to go on the memorial ride on saturday now. unless no one will mind a Harley Dresser in the pack! lol

Jmetz
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM

-Mike

Or that.

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Where are you at? I get off in about an hour. I can swing home and pick up my dirt bike ramp and we can move your bike. It's a steep ramp so it might be a bitch..

Thank you, but i can't let you do that. i'll get it into a dealer if i can't get the problem solved tomorrow. I really do appreciate you offer.

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Or that.

lol...didn't see your post, because i was typing one.

Airreed
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Faster Motorsports is pretty close to I-25 and I-70....I think they are off 48th and Brighton Blvd.

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Shit happens...just means i get to spend an undisclosed-at-this-time amount of money! good thing i got a good check this week!

What really bums me out the most is i wont be able to go on the memorial ride on saturday now. unless no one will mind a Harley Dresser in the pack! lol

Trust me, I completely understand.

I've missed more rides than I've gone on this season since my bike's had it's mystery bullshit going on, and it just went back today so I doubt I'll be riding this weekend's rides either, unless I do it on my SR50R scooter...

Jmetz
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:54 PM
It's no thing man. If you want to get it back to your house or whatever thats cool with me. Just let me know right quick.

grim
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
unless I do it on my SR50R scooter...

:wtf: and your not going to why? :lol:

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Faster Motorsports is pretty close to I-25 and I-70....I think they are off 48th and Brighton Blvd.

Closed at 6pm too, just checked...

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM
It's no thing man. If you want to get it back to your house or whatever thats cool with me. Just let me know right quick.

I have my in-laws coming to get me. Thanks again! :up:

---------------------------

And i am at 38th and brighton blvd. crazy...oh wait! i have seen a bike shop just before 38th on brighton...i wonder what they do there

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
:wtf: and your not going to why? :lol:

Don't want to embarrass anyone when I stuff their liter bike and pass them on the inside with my furious 70cc Big Bore POWA and mad tyte racing tyres yo!

:p

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have my in-laws coming to get me. Thanks again! :up:

---------------------------

And i am at 38th and brighton blvd. crazy...oh wait! i have seen a bike shop just before 38th on brighton...i wonder what they do there

Faster is a full service shop with typically good reviews and they do a lot of racing support. If you get out there they should take care of you.

Trainwreck
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Faster is a full service shop with typically good reviews and they do a lot of racing support. If you get out there they should take care of you.

Just googled it. Thats the one. Thanks! i can push it over there. lmao:eyebrows:

Ghost
Thu Aug 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Just googled it. Thats the one. Thanks! i can push it over there. lmao:eyebrows:

Neighborhood isn't the greatest, but I would call them, sometimes they're at the shop late. Coming back from a track day we called at 7 something and they were still there and we dropped my buddy's bike off... Might be worth a shot...

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Does anyone have a Fuel Pump for a 2006 ZX10r?

No dealers in town seem to have the part. if anyone can help, that would be awesome! hoping to go on the memorial ride tomorrow.

-Mike

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM
submerged in the tank style and FI I'm assuming? (not familiar with that bike)

O'Reilly auto and others may have a Universal style suitable substitute?

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Took it to Faster this morning...and needs a fuel pump, a very expensive fuel pump i might add. No dealers in town have it in stock...if anyone has a spare, or can check around with some friends, that would be awesome. Thanks!!

-Mike

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Took it to Faster this morning...and needs a fuel pump, a very expensive fuel pump i might add. No dealers in town have it in stock...if anyone has a spare, or can check around with some friends, that would be awesome. Thanks!!

-Mike

Bummer. Sorry man...

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:45 AM
WILL an aftermarket or universal style work for that? i dont have the first clue...haha

Spiderman
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:48 AM

-Mike
That sucks. :down:

Instead of ordering new, check ebay, and possibly the MRA (http://forums.mra-racing.org/) and WERA (http://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12) boards.

UglyDogRacing
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Little Mike, have you tried every Kawi dealer in the front range?

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
if it's a submerged in the tank style, doubt it. If it's an inline pump, should be able to get a universal that will fit in the space and have the right pressure for carbs or FI.

links to my photofuckit with pics of the conversion I just did on my 1990 VFR

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/90VFR750/FuelPump/

more pump examples:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Fuel+Pumps+-+Electric+-+Universal/N0515/C0025.oap?keyword=fuel+pumps+-+electric+-+universal

UglyDogRacing
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:00 AM
it's inside the tank
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/47/Year/2006/ModelID/3403/Model/Ninja_ZX-10R/GroupID/94396/Group/Fuel_Pump

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:01 AM
sorry, I'll go back and lay by my dish.

good luck mike

UglyDogRacing
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Steeles has one in stock http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX10R-ZX1000-FUEL-PUMP-GAS-PUMP-/250758048416?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a62582aa0

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Did you call Steele's Cycle?

Not my first choice, honestly, but they may have it...

http://www.steelescycle.com/
2025 West Union Avenue
Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 781-5339

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Steeles has one in stock http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-KAWASAKI-NINJA-ZX10R-ZX1000-FUEL-PUMP-GAS-PUMP-/250758048416?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a62582aa0

Lol, I just posted about Steele's in the other thread about this...

Can we combine these two threads since they're basically the same?

rybo
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Lol, I just posted about Steele's in the other thread about this...

Can we combine these two threads since they're basically the same?
done

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:18 AM
done

You, Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman...no matter what everyone else says. :p

DeeStylez
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM
That really sucks, I have to replace a fuel pump on my wifes car here shortly before school starts. And yes they are pricey.... $240 is what it will cost her. Just remember to always keep plenty fuel in that tank ;)

Spiderman
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Just remember to always keep plenty fuel in that tank ;)
Wow, I must be really lucky then... I've run out of gas a few times (always trying to push the envelope & see how many miles I can get on "reserve" :lol: ... most I ever got was 44.1 8) )

UglyDogRacing
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Wow, I must be really lucky then... I've run out of gas a few times (always trying to push the envelope & see how many miles I can get on "reserve" :lol: ... most I ever got was 44.1 8) )

Problem with that is all the sediment and other crap on the bottom of the tank gets sucked up into your fuel pump. I got through 2-3 fuel pumps a year and some of them were just clogged up after I pulled them apart.

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Problem solved!! I contacted Steeles around 1045 and they had one for a 2007 in stock. (Thanks for the heads up on the part Jim, but i was already on my way there. haha).

Picked it up for a cool $100! got it back to Faster an hour ago...and i just picked her up.

Once again, thank you all so much for the help! It really means a lot to me that a club i pretty much just joined, would help me like this. You are all an amazing group of people!

-Mike

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
that is good to read Trainwreck. Now you can make your ride manana.

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
that is good to read Trainwreck. Now you can make your ride manana.
Yep, i'm so stoked to do this. I never knew Dave but this is something i can do to pay tribute to his life and his family. And when the bike went down last night, not making this ride was the first thing that popped into my head.

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Problem solved!! I contacted Steeles around 1045 and they had one for a 2007 in stock. (Thanks for the heads up on the part Jim, but i was already on my way there. haha).

Picked it up for a cool $100! got it back to Faster an hour ago...and i just picked her up.

Once again, thank you all so much for the help! It really means a lot to me that a club i pretty much just joined, would help me like this. You are all an amazing group of people!

-Mike

Awesome man!

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Did you call Steele's Cycle?

Not my first choice, honestly, but they may have it...

http://www.steelescycle.com/
2025 West Union Avenue
Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 781-5339
Fuck Steele's.

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Fuck Steele's.
Dayum!

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Fuck Steele's.

Yeah, usually I'd agree, and as I said, they're hard to recommend, but, in this case, he got his bike up & running and can make the ride when no one else had a part...

SO...

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Just wondering, why the discontent toward Steele's?

grim
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Cause when they get the chance they will fuck you harder than a teenager on prom night!

Devaclis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
This thread, I can't look away.....

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Steele's a real fancy Sanford and son.

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Cause when they get the chance they will fuck you harder than a teenager on prom night!

http://pic.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/love-fail-prom-date.jpg

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I'm afraid I may have understated my feelings toward this particular establishment.

People that run a business only to antagonize their customers, charge unholy prices, and hold customer service as sin deserve to go out of business. I'd rather be sodomized by a splintery 2x4 than give those assholes a penny of my money.

grim
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I'm afraid I may have understated my feelings toward this particular establishment.

People that run a business only to antagonize their customers, charge unholy prices, and hold customer service as sin deserve to go out of business. I'd rather be sodomized by a splintery 2x4 than give those assholes a penny of my money.

Sooooo you don't like them?

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Sooooo you don't like them?

Seems like he's leaning that way...
:lol:

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
you better make dave's ride tomorrow or you'll never be forgiven for giving Steele's any money.

surprised to hear someone bought something there without leaving in tears.

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM
you better make dave's ride tomorrow or you'll never be forgiven for giving Steele's any money.

surprised to hear someone bought something there without leaving in tears.
I'll be there around 745. You can't miss me. 6'7" 330lb.

And about Steele's, i didn't have 1 single issue about the place. I asked some questions and they were answered politly. It really does suck that some people have been treated so bad by them that they would rather take some wood up the ole dirt trail then go back. The only reason i went there was to get something no one else had. Would i go back? Maybe...If they had a part that i needed.

Now, there are some places that i refuse to ever go again because of the service or staff. god i HATE the flea market!

P.S. I just noticed you live in Windsor Tinker'n...i hope the traffic control going on around 25 & 392 is not too bad for you...it's my company doing it. haha so let me know if somethings wrong, and i'll fix it personally

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
It really does suck that some people have been treated so bad by them that they would rather take some wood up the ole dirt trail then go back.

P.S. I just noticed you live in Windsor Tinker'n...i hope the traffic control going on around 25 & 392 is not too bad for you...it's my company doing it. haha so let me know if somethings wrong, and i'll fix it personally

I've been to Steele's 3x and been mistreated twice. I'll give anyone the benefit of the doubt the first time.

I work in sales and know full well that no matter what you do, you can't please everyone. But it's rare that an establishment can piss numerous people off enough that they will foam at the mouth and go out of there way to make sure that everyone knows how much you hate them.

I hate them bad enough that I'll be the one to ram the splintered 2x4 up metalords ass.

Haven't had to deal with the 392 traffic yet but looking forward to that bridge change.

Trainwreck
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I hate them bad enough that I'll be the one to ram the splintered 2x4 up metalords ass.

Lol.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Its always funny to me that everyone is like "Fuck Steele`s.... unless they have the part(s) I need".

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Its always funny to me that everyone is like "Fuck China.... unless they have the shit I want cheap".

People don't have principles

grim
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
People don't have principles

:lol:

Ezzzzy1
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:08 AM
"Its always funny to me that everyone is like "Fuck China.... unless they have the shit I want cheap"

Right? I figured out our countries new motto... "MORE". We dont give a fuck how we get it but we will.