PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a master link go out on you?

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I did on the way to work this morning. Didn't crash, just coasted to a stop. took less than 3 minutes to figure out what happened. Never had a master link just give out on me before. Chain only had 7K and was probably due for some maintenance, but wasn't bad by any means.

So if anyone's in the highlands ranch area with the means to move a bike (truck, ramp, tie downs) and the time to help me go grab it around lunch time, please lemme know. Otherwise I'll be hitting up Chris at Grand Prix to see if he has any extra master links lay'n around.

Bueller
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Rivet or clip? If riveted it was probably done incorrectly. I have the clip on my 250 safety wired but the wire(s) will fatigue and break and then at high speeds the clip will come off and I have spit the chain twice now. I am replacing with a rivet soon.

Devaclis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Shit dude, I just got to work. LEt me see if I can get out early and pick you up.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
^^I might be able to get a buddy from work to help me out Dana, , so don't pull outta work just yet

Dave - Gotta be honest, I don't remember. I want to say rivet, but I don't recall for sure. I'd think that if the rivet were done incorrectly that the chain would've given up a lot sooner than 7K in

Bueller
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:14 AM
On the contrary, it would take a long time to show up on one that was almost good because a good job would never give up. Other than that, are you sure the master went or is it still in the chain?

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
^^To be honest, I need to double check. A link has clearly come out somewhere in the chain, but I didn't look through it to make sure it was the master. I was too busy running back up the street to keep too many cars from running it over. Hopefully it was just the master and I can go pick one up. If it wasn't, then someone's gonna be getting some serious customer feedback...

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I keep telling Dave that trying to drop weight on the Ninja by throwing off the chain doesn't work, but he's hell bent on trying to figure out a way to do it.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:26 AM
:lol:

I'm just glad the chain didn't pop at high speed or going into a corner!

Devaclis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Stewie

Bueller
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Mine came straight out the back in the exit of turn 5, first time, it was wierd.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/MRA%20Racing/d693b486.jpg

Second time was during the 4 hr. exiting turn 3, I knew exactly what happened this time though :(
Didn't walk away with out some damage this time.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/MRA%20Racing/759f03e3.jpg

Ezzzzy1
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have an extra master clip link. Its a 520. If thats what you lost you can have this one to at least get you riding again.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Woof. Glad it wasn't your leg. A chain flying around at that speed could cause some serious damage.

Mine just exited the back of the bike like your first one. Kind of got a little surge and, since I was going downhill just coasted. It was definitely a weird feeling.

So, providing this was a master link failure, does anyone have a rivet tool I could borrow? :D

salsashark
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I'm outta here @ 12:30 today. I can go home and get the truck if you still need it. Probably take me about an hour to get out to HR.

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have an extra master clip link. Its a 520. If thats what you lost you can have this one to at least get you riding again.
I think mine was bigger. It was just a straight replacement for the stock. I'll have to double check when I get home, thanks for the offer though!

MetaLord 9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I'm outta here @ 12:30 today. I can go home and get the truck if you still need it. Probably take me about an hour to get out to HR.
Ryan's gonna swing by with his trailer after his plumber appointment, so I should be covered. Thanks for the offer though James!

Sean
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Damn, that sucks. At least you were able to coast it out instead of something bad happening.

ghostrider_9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I lost a master link on a GSXR-600. The slack end of the newly freed chain smacked the clutch push rod as it whipped by the front sprocket. In doing so, it messed up the seal and bent the push rod. As soon as I go the chain back on and pulled the clutch in, it dumped oil all over the place . . . that sucked!

Bueller
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I am worried about it wadding up @ the counter sprocket an destroying the engine case, I have been lucky so far.

I broke a belt once on my first Buell, then they changed manufacturers and I have never had a problem since. No maintenance no replacement for >35k, quiet and coasting wars down Lookout Mnt. are the shit!

ghostrider_9
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I am worried about it wadding up @ the counter sprocket an destroying the engine case, I have been lucky so far.

I broke a belt once on my first Buell, then they changed manufacturers and I have never had a problem since. No maintenance no replacement for >35k, quiet and coasting wars down Lookout Mnt. are the shit!

I love doing that . . . I haven't done that at all this season. I think I might have to do that for lunch, just because . . .

Hibs
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 01:42 PM
another reason to get a metal chain guard

asp_125
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Yikes Bueller! Note to self.. chain guard for track bike.

DorJammer
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
happened twice to me
T350 Suzuki running the canyons outside Green River UT back in late 70's. Chain went into the tranny and I into the hospital. Bikes probably still leaning against the garage I had it dropped off at.
Mid 70's threw one drag racing at the old century motor way near where DIA is now. Threw the chain probably a 100 ft down the track. Used a pice of barb wire to fake a master link, and limped it home.