PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry

vort3xr6
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I personally am ecstatic he is running. The guy is awesome and has taken Texas to new levels. I am really hoping he becomes the lead GOP presidential candidate.

Here is some info about him.

Who Is Rick Perry?
He is a fifth generation Texan, the son of hardscrabble west Texas tenant farmers. Democrats but conservatives through and through. He grew up in a farm town too small to be on the state map. Life was so hard that he was six years old before his house had indoor plumbing. His mother sewed his clothes, including the underwear he wore to college.

He is an Eagle Scout. After Paint Creek High School, he attended Texas A&M, graduated, and was commissioned into the Air Force where he became a C-130 pilot.

Now 61 years old, he has won nine elections to four different offices in Texas state government. In the first three elections he ran as a Democrat then switched to the Republican Party. He is currently the 47th governor of Texas, a position he has held for 11 years, the longest tenure of any governor in the nation.

He has never lost an election.

Rick Perry was the Lieutenant Governor to whom Governor George Bush handed over the office after winning the 2000 Presidential election. Since then, Perry won gubernatorial elections in 2002, 2004, and 2010, the last time by 55% against a field consisting of a Democrat, a Libertarian, a Green Party, and an Independent.

Since he became its Governor, Texas, a right to work state that taxes neither personal income nor capital gains, has added more jobs than the other 49 states combined. In the last two years, low taxes and little regulation led his state to create 47% of all jobs created in the entire nation. Five of the top ten cities with the highest job growth in the nation are in Texas. People follow jobs, so in the last four years for which data are available, Texas led every state in net interstate migration growth.

Perry signed ground-breaking, loser pays tort reform and medical litigation rules that caused malpractice insurance rates to fall. Some 20,000 doctors have since moved to Texas.

Texas boasts 58 of the Fortune 500 companies, more than any other state. Since May 2011 Texas resumed its pre-recession employment levels. Only two other states and the District of Columbia have done that.

Texas ships 16% of the nation's export value. California trails at 11%. Of the 70 companies that have fled California so far in 2011, 14 relocated in Texas.

In this year's Texas legislative season, Perry got most of what he wanted. With no new taxes, a fiscally lean state budget was passed leaving $6 billion in a rainy day fund even as other states around the country struggled to balance budgets and avoid more deficit borrowing. A voter ID bill passed that was designed to prevent ballot box fraud and illegal voting. A bill passed that makes plaintiffs pay court costs and attorney fees if their suits are deemed frivolous.

Perry scored points even in his legislative failures. He failed to get sanctuary cities banned, Texas towns in which police cannot question detainees about their immigration status. The blame fell on the legislature. Perry also failed to get a so-called anti-groping bill passed that would put Transportation Security Administration agents in prison if they touch the genitals, anus, or breasts of passengers in a pat down. Federal officials threatened to halt all flights out of Texas airports and the bill died in special session. That endeared Texans even more to TSA employees living in Texas.

Perry jogs daily in the morning. He has no bodyguard with him, but his daughter's dog runs by his side and he carries a laser-guided automatic pistol in his belt. Last year while jogging in an undeveloped area, a coyote paralleled his jogging route, eyeing his dog. He drew his pistol and killed the animal with one shot, leaving it where it fell. "He became mulch," Perry said. Animal rights groups protested, but Perry shrugged it off. "Don't come after my dog", he warned them.

Recently, Obama asked Perry to delay the July 7 execution of Humberto Leal in order to comply with the International Court of Justice in The Hague and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. Perry refused. Therefore Obama asked the US Supreme Court to delay the execution because it would damage US foreign relations. The Court refused 5-4 and Perry ordered the execution to go forward as scheduled. Over the howls of diplomats, politicians, and the UN, Leal was administered a lethal injection at 6:20 p.m. Before he died, he admitted his guilt and asked for forgiveness.

The case has special implications for Perry, who is considering a run for the presidency in 2012. Even his critics resent federal interference in a Texas execution, which is related to a state, not a federal crime, an alcohol and drug-fueled rape and murder 17 years ago by an illegal whose family brought him into the country 35 years ago as a child. The interference hinges not on the man's guilt, which Leal's advocates acknowledged, but on a technicality, failure to inform Leal that he could have gotten legal representation from the Mexican consulate in lieu of the court-appointed attorneys who represented him. Independent Texans saw Obama's interference as another intrusion of federal power into the affairs of a state, which could cost Obama support in other states.

Needless to say, Perry is a hard-edged conservative and a ferocious defender of 10th Amendments rights. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people, an explicit restriction of the federal government to only those powers granted in the Constitution. Perry accuses the federal government, especially the Obama administration, of illegal overreach.

Perry said "no thanks" to the feds whose stimulus offered taxpayer dollars for education and unemployment assistance. The strings on free money from Washington, he said, would restrict Texas in managing its own affairs. Perry even depleted all state funds to fight recent wildfires before asking Washington for disaster relief. His request has been ignored, which comes across as an unvarnished federal power play, further pitting Perry and Texans against the federal government.

It's little surprise, then, that 31% of Texans prefer Perry, who hasn't announced for the presidency, versus 15% who prefer Romney and 11% who like Bachmann. This is consistent with a Fox poll which put Romney at 18% with national Republicans, Perry at 13%, and Bachmann at 11%. A Marist poll had Romney leading with 19% but Perry and Giuliani, neither of whom has announced, are tied for second at 13%. Perry is the favorite among Tea Party voters, beating Palin, also unannounced, and Bachmann. For a guy who is not officially running, Perry has more than an insignificant following compared with the announced candidates.

But none of the candidates, announced and unannounced, has caught fire. It's still early in the 2012 election cycle, and polling results this far out border on meaninglessness. Yet I would have expected Romney to have a greater lead, given his money and name recognition, unless he is being perceived by voters as a nomination retread, now haunted by the Massachusetts experiment that Obama claims inspired his unpopular remaking of the national healthcare system. His business and economic expertise towers over Obama's, but I suspect it would be easier for him to be elected than nominated. Palin has a fan base rather than a constituency ready to hand another rookie the keys to the White House. Bachmann, recently insulted by Chris Matthews* in an interview asking if she was a flake, because of her bizarre statements, might keep in mind that James Garfield was the only House member to be elected President, and that was over 130 years ago. Ryan may have recalled that fact when he declined to run.

But Perry is not without his negatives. French cuffs and cowboy boots adorned with the words 'Freedom and Liberty" bespeak a self-assuredness that wears well in Texas and even in the south and southwest, but will it work in Philadelphia, New Hampshire, and Ohio?

Perry is ruggedly handsome, a modern Marlboro kind of man, whom the late Texan and liberal columnist, Molly Ivins, called "Governor Goodhair. His high octane rhetoric is unmistakably conservative. Speaking to the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans last month, he pumped the air with both fists as he strode to the podium. "Whew!", he cried repeatedly. "Yeah!",He was like an excited race horse being shoved into a starting gate.

"I stand before you today a disciplined conservative Texan -- a committed Republican and a proud American -- united with you in the desire to restore our nation and revive the American dream."

"Our party cannot be all things to all people. It can't be. And our loudest opponents on the left are never gonna like us so let's quit trying to curry favor with 'em! Let's speak with pride about our morals and our values and redouble our effort to elect more conservative Republicans. Let's stop this American downward spiral!"

"This administration in Washington that's in power now clearly believes that government is not only the answer to every need, but it's the most qualified to make essential decisions for every American in every area. That mix of arrogance and audacity that guides the Obama administration is an affront to every freedom-loving American and a threat to every private sector job in this country".

He left the podium and stage as he had mounted it: pumping his fists, shouting "Yeah!" and "Whew!, as if he were returning to his corner after Round 1 of a prize fight.

It's hard to imagine the cautiously moderate Romney, the bland somnambulistic Pawlenty, or even the outspoken and misspoken Bachmann delivering that performance. Yet, what a contrast Perry is to the pontifical, condescending Obama speaking style, his head robotically swiveling from side to side, nose unconsciously elevated. I suspect even the leading GOP candidates wish they had Perry's negatives.

Perry's speech was a tea partier's delight. The almost cocky swagger. The Texas accent. But I wonder how it would sell to political independents, those more pragmatic than ideological?

Sweeping these concerns aside, Perry's biggest challenge may be overcoming the fact that he is another Texas governor seeking the White House. After four years of Obama, Bush fatigue may have attenuated. But by how much? For those in the center, the ones who will decide the next election, the choice will be between four more years of someone they know (which they didn't four years ago) versus someone who reminds them of someone they know (Bush) and wish they didn't.

Beyond the Texas Governor's mansion, the accent, and the swagger, however, the similarity ends. Their differences have been no small source of friction between the Bush and Perry camps.

A 2007 YouTube, for example, showed Perry at a fundraiser saying, "George Bush was never a fiscal conservative. never was, going on to say: "I mean, 95, 97,99, George Bush (while he was Texas Governor) was spending money. The video came to the attention of Bush aides and they were not happy with Perry's criticisms of their man.

Then after initially embracing Bush's "No Child Left Behind" law, Perry turned against it, calling it a monstrous intrusion into our (i.e. the Texas education system) affairs in an interview. His 10th Amendment fire-breathing can't be contained.

When Perry ran for his third gubernatorial election, the Bush family and political team retaliated by backing Perry's Republican opponent, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, providing her campaign with fundraising and organizational support. Perry won the primary and went on to win in the general election by a sizable margin, no doubt giving him cause to gloat and giving the Bush camp cause to mope.

The relationship between Perry and Bush continues to be frosty. But it would be foolish for Perry to provoke the Bush family into working against him if he chooses to run for President. And it would also be petty of the Bush family to deny that politics requires a candidate to show that he is his own man, not a clone of his former boss. Gore ran against Clinton in 2000, and if Perry runs, he will have to show his independence of Bush if he is to have any hope of shedding the "Oh no, not another Texas Governor" image.

Bush ran as a compassionate conservative, probably a euphemism for the liberalism of his rich family, which is what caused Reagan to balance his conservative ticket with running mate George H. W. Bush. Perry will have to show that he intends to reverse the reckless spending of the Bush-Obama years.

Bush ran as a uniter, not a divider. Perry will have to show that he intends to be an unmistakable contrast to everything Obama stands for and will undo the Obama program, even as Clinton undid the Reagan legacy and Obama undid the Bush programs, complaining all the while that Bush was responsible for everything that was wrong with America.

Perry has not yet said he is in the race. Time is running out for him to do so. But should Obama be concerned if Perry runs? Absolutely. Obama cannot run on his record, an unpopular healthcare law, a failed stimulus, unprecedented spending and debt, a jobless recovery, and the threat of a double-dip recession, not to mention a foreign policy he can't explain and his undeclared war on Libya. Obama's record is a disaster. Perry by contrast produced in Texas an oasis of prosperity in a sea of misery during the Obama years.

Not being able to defend his own economic record, or attack Perry's, Obama might try to paint Perry as a representative of the far right. That wouldn't be easy. Perry served three terms in the Texas House as a Democrat, and supported Al Gore's 1988 presidential bid. That was when there were still some conservative Democrats. Perry switched to the Republican Party in 1989 when the Democrat Party began moving left.

Obama might attack Perry's ideological extremism. But Perry could remind voters that Reagan was initially painted as a conservative extremist, until Reagan's folksy "Now there you go again" confidence showed Americans that the extremist was in the White House. Reagan's proof was the economic chaos Carter had wrought. (Are you better off now than you were four years ago?) and the foreign policy catastrophes his policies produced in Iran, whose hostage crisis was nearing 400 days.

Unlike Perry, Obama is all hat and no cattle. There is no Obama thrust that Perry can't parry if he keeps his good humor and enthusiasm and reminds Americans that, yes, his flaws are large until you compare them with Obama's.

Yes it is quite biased, but still. I think Rick Perry is the man.

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:48 PM
All biased as well:
(the other way)

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/08/yes-texas-public-schools-teach-creationism

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/08/rick-perrys-10-worst-crony-capitalists-0

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/08/closer-look-texas-miracle

http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/08/rick-perry-too-radical-even-tea-party

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/08/rick-perry-tea-party

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/08/rick-perry-molly-ivins

Let the flaming begin!

grim
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
oh fuck another one of these lemme just...

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/962833_o.gif

proceed and once clovis gets here everything's going to shit!!!

Ted
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Damn you Grim, you got in before me........

I hope Rick Perry wins......... so he can get an ass whooping in the General.....

Keyser Soze
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:06 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYXJNzv1FifV7W1JMIW3XpjVDON6pva Tvss3ZddNUfNpZlnWlWCw

Clovis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Personally I prefer Ron Paul but I don't think he is electable.

Perry is gaining substantial momentum and it looks like he has the potential to go all the way.

If the Republicans nominate the right candidate then Obama will be defeated.

What we need as a nation is a true leader, a man of action. Perry can very well be that man. To me this election feels like Carter vs Reagan 1980 all over again. I hope to god history repeats itself because just as 1980 America couldn't take another 4 years of Carter, 2012 America can't take another 4 years of Obama.

I've accepted that a lot of Americans were caught up in the messiah wave that carried Obama in 2008 but as a famous man once said...

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice... well, you can't fool me again!

laspariahs
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:16 PM
They should just release a list of the conservatives that aren't running, it would be a much shorter list.

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
oh fuck another one of these lemme just...

yep...

laspariahs
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I've accepted that a lot of Americans were caught up in the messiah wave that carried Obama in 2008 but as a famous man once said...

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice... well, you can't fool me again!

Hey they voted Bush in twice, never ever underestimate the power of the incumbent.

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM
They should just release a list of the conservatives that aren't running, it would be a much shorter list.

A list, by definition, must contain more than -0- entities...

Isn't this the same guy who is in favor of Texas secession? Why should we vote for someone who clearly doesn't want to be part of anything outside the borders of Texass?

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hey they voted Bush in twice, never ever underestimate the power of the incumbent.

Well, once, the judges put him on the throne the other time...

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I will always vote against religious nut jobs. I support his right to be a nut job but kill me know if I have to listen to him speak on the topic of God.

laspariahs
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Well, once, the judges put him on the throne the other time...

I was going to throw that in there, but you know gas on a fire and all.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:27 PM
my favorite rick right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Clovis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Do you think Gore would have been better? Or Kerry in 2004?

Our political system basically forces us to choose between two evils most of the time. Bush has been vilified by the left non-stop. He may not have been the best president but all told he was pretty good.

I had just turned 20 when 9/11 happened and remember specifically thinking "Thank God Bush is the president and not Gore." We needed a leader then and we need one today.

The situation we're in today is similar, except we're fighting for the economy.

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
yeah man...that rick jams....heheehhehe

Ted
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM

Our political system basically forces us to choose between two evils most of the time. Bush has been vilified by the left non-stop. He may not have been the best president but all told he was pretty good.

I had just turned 20 when 9/11 happened and remember specifically thinking "Thank God Bush is the president and not Gore." We needed a leader then and we need one today.

The situation we're in today is similar, except we're fighting for the economy.

Yes...... probably would be no bomb dropping in Iraq ....

laspariahs
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM

I have no idea, I can't change the past, nor would I want to for many reasons none of which being Bush was a good president. I'll agree he's not anywhere near as bad as the left thinks he was, as long as you agree that Obama isn't anywhere near as bad as the right thinks he is. Both are true.

HOWEVER, the point is, Obama has a VERY VERY good chance of winning SOLELY because he is the incumbent. That's the only reason Bush won against Kerry, and Kerry was a bit of a putz, but seriously the incumbent has a much better chance of winning.

You do realize that most Americans vote for the person they know the name of, or the person they have heard the most about, which is, tada the incumbent. Plus there's the well it's not been that bad, or the never switch horses midstream, or or or. I could go on. Reality is Obama is 90% going to go two terms.

Edit: and honestly I think the right really fucked themselves with this debt ceiling stuff. Agree or disagree they are imho going to get the blame from most swing voters.

Shea
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I will always vote against religious nut jobs. I support his right to be a nut job but kill me know if I have to listen to him speak on the topic of God.

Pretty much how I feel. Explain to me where in the Constitution (that you say you love and revere so much) that it gives the federal government the right to dictate behavior based on a majority's or even a minority's moral views...

Makes my eyes bleed when people proclaim to love liberty but will use the power of the government to curb it, the first fricking chance their fascist asses get. Rick Perry won't be getting my vote.

Clovis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
But he had the WMDs!!

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photoshop/1/7/8/1178_slide.jpg

Yes...... probably would be no bomb dropping in Iraq ....

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:38 PM
A list, by definition, must contain more than -0- entities...

Isn't this the same guy who is in favor of Texas secession? Why should we vote for someone who clearly doesn't want to be part of anything outside the borders of Texass?

He's the guy!

When did "extremist whack job" become a required criteria for any serious republican candidate?

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:38 PM

i surely thought it was gonna be WWIII. Every time i see those towers come crumbling down it burns me inside.

Clovis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
i surely thougth it was gonna be WWIII. Every time i see those towers come crumbling down it burns me inside.

Me too. One thing I regret in life is not joining the military. That was our Pearl Harbor and I truly expected American's gloves were coming off and it was on like Donkey Kong - Especially after Bush gave his "we're going after the terrorist and countries that harbor them" speech.

I didn't quite work out that way though.

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Pretty much how I feel. Explain to me where in the Constitution (that you say you love and revere so much) that it gives the federal government the right to dictate behavior based on a majority's or even a minority's moral views...

Makes my eyes bleed when people proclaim to love liberty but will use the power of the government to curb it, the first fricking chance their fascist asses get. Rick Perry won't be getting my vote.

+1
How do these people rationalize their "no big goverment" rhetoric against their constant attempts to tell everybody who they should or shouldn't be marrying/living with/fucking?

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM
seeing those poor folks jumping outta bldgs. In the streets running for their lives. Personally ,, I bet if it was in the 40's it would been another Hiroshima and Nagasaki....Back then America did not take SHIT from no one.

Shea
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
+1
How do these people rationalize their "no big goverment" rhetoric against their constant attempts to tell everybody who they should or shouldn't be marrying/living with/fucking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I

I have no power to decide who my neighbor marries, loves, screws, what they put in their bodies, how much money they make, or how they choose to spend it. As such, I cannot empower others to do the above, nor does anyone else in a free society. In other words, if it doesn't effect me or cause others harm I have no say in it. Be a much better world if the liberals and conservatives would get that through their thick skulls...

mathman1000
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I swear to to god, if either one of the two leading religious nut jobs win the election I'm leaving....... Where do these people get off trying to pass laws telling you who can love? If you really look at it, it's quite similar to how the middle east religious nut jobs run the countries........women are property/being gay is punishable by death/blah blah blah...... There was a time when religion ruled everything; it was called "The Dark Ages".

Keep religion out of our schools and we'll keep our children out of your churches.

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
+1

It's not big government interfering, it's a mandate from God, as channeled through the selected right wing prophet...

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Keep religion out of our schools and we'll keep our children out of your churches.

only religion i teach my kids is to be good. all the organized sunday mega church concert hoopla can got to extinction for all i care...

Clovis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I know a good number of people are passionate about same-sex marriage and personal liberty but those issues will likely get drowned out by the focus on the bigger problem at hand: The economy.

Shea
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I know a good number of people are passionate about same-sex marriage and personal liberty but those issues will likely get drowned out by the focus on the bigger problem at hand: The economy.

Personal liberty = the economy. Get out of people's lives, let them live it as they see fit, let them pursue happiness (property) and bamo...a flourishing economy, we haz it.

Our economic mess was caused by and is being perpetuated by a government that is picking winners/losers and distorting the market to favor their cronies (or masters, however you choose to see it).

brennahm
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM
People like Bachmann et al will focus their sound bytes on the economy...because their real beliefs will ensure that they lose the election.

I still like how people think GW was any kind of good president. BTW, as I've said before, compromise is the only way to get things done in a society such as ours. Anyone who thinks we need a leader who will stand up to the left/right/middle/etc can...well, bend over and I'll show you what fills their heads.

FWIW, when people speak about small government and such...take a look at their careers. Who has employed them?

Finally, Rick Perry is too far for my tastes even though I think he is the best option from the right.

vort3xr6
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wow. Forgot how many liberals were on here. Obama is not a leader and his own party is disowning him. Hell just read the liberal rag the new York times. Even the most stout liberals are calling him a failure.

We need a leader, and Perry has the value to get us there. Look at the Texas economy for proof.

Clovis
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 05:18 PM
If I couldn't live in Colorado, Texas would be my next choice.

mdub
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 05:20 PM
i grew up in texas ...i would never go back there...too hot.

grim
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
"Ahem" fuck Texas......carry on

Ghost
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2302010/

Why the Lone Star State Shines So Bright

It seems silly for Perry to take credit for the state's performance, one way or another. Economies are complicated. Trends take years and even decades to come into effect. Governors are not omnipotent. But aside from the nearly 11-year Perry reign, there are plenty of other reasons that Texas' economy has looked so vibrant. And those reasons might serve as lessons for other states.

First, Texas has lots of oil and gas. Spiking gas prices helped tip the country (http://www.brookings.edu/%7E/media/Files/Programs/ES/BPEA/2009_spring_bpea_papers/2009a_bpea_hamilton.pdf) into a deep recession in 2008, as they raised costs for businesses and cut into families' spending on other goods. But pain at the pump helped the few states with lots of fuel to sell and commodity-related jobs. Oil-rich North Dakota, most notably, barely noticed (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/us/06dakota.html) the downturn. And Texas felt it less than most other states.

The decade of rising gas prices just happens to coincide with Perry's tenure as governor: In December 2000, when he took office, the price of a barrel of oil (http://www.inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_rate/historical_oil_prices_table.asp) was about $30, adjusted for inflation. Today, it is about $82 (http://www.oil-price.net/). At its height, it was nearly $150. High oil prices mean high revenues for Texan oil companies. Moreover, in the last few years, fracking and other extraction technologies (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/28/business/energy-environment/28shale.html?pagewanted=all) have helped Texas access new oil and natural-gas reserves, boosting sales and adding thousands of jobs. All in all, oil and gas currently contributes (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/business/in-texas-perry-rides-an-energy-boom.html?pagewanted=all) about $325 billion a year to Texas' economy.

The knock-on benefits of those rising gas prices are also considerable. Growing commodity businesses helped flush more money into the Texas government's coffers, just as the slowing economy started to chip away at other tax revenue. (Oil and gas finances up to 20 percent (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/business/in-texas-perry-rides-an-energy-boom.html?pagewanted=all) of Texas' state budget.) That meant that Texas had to lay off fewer government workers than other states (http://thinkprogress.org/yglesias/2011/08/16/296986/socialism-texas-style/); in fact, it has added positions.

Second, Texas kept its housing-finance regulations tight. As Alyssa Katz noted last year (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/03/AR2010040304983.html) in The Big Money, Texas has had a longtime commitment to ensuring that homeowners make significant down payments and do not use their houses like piggy banks. The rules bar Texans from taking out home-equity lines of credit worth more than 80 percent of their mortgage. They also ban "cash-out refinancings," which add to homeowners' debt.
As a result, Texas never had a housing bubble. Real estate prices appreciated much more steadily (http://www.abcrealestatedirectory.com/prices/states/Texas.htm) and slowly than in states like Nevada (http://www.abcrealestatedirectory.com/prices/states/Nevada.htm) and Florida (http://www.abcrealestatedirectory.com/prices/states/Florida.htm) and never really turned down. That means relatively few foreclosures, healthier local banks, and a steadier construction sector. Moreover, it means that Texans never got as indebted as citizens in other states.

It is that latter point that explains so much about Texas' economic vibrancy today. During the bubble, Californians and Nevadans and Floridians bought McMansions they couldn't afford, took out home-equity loans on those McMansions, and charged billions more to their credit cards. They are still focusing on paying down those debts years later—a process economists call "deleveraging"—suppressing their consumer spending and adding to their states' economic malaise. Texans built up less debt, and therefore have had a whole lot less deleveraging to do, as this great chart (http://rortybomb.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/debt_per_capta_11q2.jpg) by finance blogger Mike Konczal shows. That means smoother consumer spending. It means a more stable economy. And it means a lower unemployment rate (http://rortybomb.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/deleveraging_11q2.jpg).

Finally, Texas has benefited from immigration. Put simply, Texas' economy is growing because Texas is growing. Indeed, the state's population has swelled more than 20 percent in the last decade (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2011-02-17-texas-census_N.htm), by 4.2 million people. And it has added residents faster than any other state since the recession started (http://www.politicalmathblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/PopulationGrowthIncreaseBig.png). In this case, supply creates its own demand. All those folks buy food, pay rent, and drive cars, helping to support local businesses and create jobs. Those immigration trends undercut some of the "Texas miracle" story: The state's job growth is not extraordinary in the context of its population growth. Indeed, the state's employment-to-population ratio, Felix Salmon points out, has followed national trends (http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/08/15/perrys-employment-record-in-texas/). Nevertheless, more people in Texas means more customers for Texan businesses, which means a more vibrant economy.

So what does it all mean for other states? Well, they cannot produce oil out of thin air. They cannot snap their fingers and conjure up the growing economy, nice weather, great barbecue, and cheap real estate that draw all those new people to Texas. But they can keep their consumer-protection and housing-finance rules strict—and take comfort, at least, in the fact that the Texas miracle does not have much to do with Rick Perry.
Ah, to be the beneficiary of circumstances outside your control or influence.

Maybe he'll take credit for the sun rising since he & God are tight like that...:wait:
:rolleyes:

"Ahem" fuck Texas......carry on

+1

Hope that secession things works out for them...it'd make everyone happier...

Vellos
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
http://thebingingartist.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/up_doug.jpg http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a06/hh/qa/train-squirrel-dogs-tree-800x800.jpg

grim
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM
http://thebingingartist.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/up_doug.jpg http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a06/hh/qa/train-squirrel-dogs-tree-800x800.jpg

:lol: Isn't that how all the threads are?

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Michelle Malkin had an interesting piece (http://michellemalkin.com/2011/08/16/rick-perrys-bad-obama-style-medicine/) on Perry's Gardasil fiasco. That kind of thinking on the part of a governor really bothers me, not to mention the stench of corruption that seems to be attached to that whole situation.

bluedogok
Fri Aug 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
i grew up in texas ...i would never go back there...too hot.
It definitely has been this summer, we have finally decided to move up there.....

I have lived in Austin for 8 years (Oklahoma City before that) and have never voted for Perry in the two elections that has happened since I moved here, didn't vote Democrat either but then I think both parties are corrupt. Gov. Goodhair has a pretty big slime trail behind him.

Coming back a couple of times a year for races will be enough for me after 60+ days (and counting) of 100+ temps so far is too much. It has been almost that bad for 7 of the 8 summers that I have spent down here, 2009 had 68 days of 100+ temps. Austin is a great place, just too danged hot.

DFab
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
I like how Perry tried to pray the Texas drought away. That's exactly the type of leadership we need. Maybe we can pray down the deficit as well. :rolleyes:

Clovis
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
What's wrong with asking God for help? For guidance? I do it all the time.

I like how Perry tried to pray the Texas drought away. That's exactly the type of leadership we need. Maybe we can pray down the deficit as well. :rolleyes:

brennahm
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
What's wrong is that he is a secular leader.

Filo
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
I, for one, am tired of the extremists on both sides. You get the new-earth-religious-whack-jobs on the right and the big government let-me-help-you-live-well whack jobs on the left. How about we let the moderates in the country run the primaries so that I don't have to choose between death by theocracy or death by socialism when the election comes around? How about we realize how poorly extremism has worked as a form of government around the world and throughout history and move to a more moderate stance. If you want to celebrate dogmatic-us-versus-them victories for what ever vicarious thrill it gives you, follow sports. At least then I don't need to live with the repercussions of your victory.

brennahm
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
^applause

rforsythe
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
I, for one, am tired of the extremists on both sides. You get the new-earth-religious-whack-jobs on the right and the big government let-me-help-you-live-well whack jobs on the left. How about we let the moderates in the country run the primaries so that I don't have to choose between death by theocracy or death by socialism when the election comes around? How about we realize how poorly extremism has worked as a form of government around the world and throughout history and move to a more moderate stance. If you want to celebrate dogmatic-us-versus-them victories for what ever vicarious thrill it gives you, follow sports. At least then I don't need to live with the repercussions of your victory.

Because extremists are vocal by design. Moderates I think have a harder time, because "live your life, man" is not a political stance. People want "ideas" and "solutions", and it's hard to get people to rally behind more tranquil approaches.

And to answer Clovis - If you want to ask God for help that's perfectly fine. But there is a massive difference between having personal religious beliefs, and letting them drive policy and decisions when governing a nation. I have no issue with freedom of religious choice, but have considerable problems with someone that's going to tell me how to live my life based on what a book told them their god wanted them to do. One of the cornerstones of this nation is that things like that aren't supposed to happen, and as such, any individual who proposes being elected President on religious pretext shouldn't be voted into office IMO.

salsashark
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:25 AM

:cheers:

Clovis
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Who is letting religious text govern?

I was talking about praying -- for example praying before going into a tough situation or choice.

brennahm
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Michelle Bachmann for one. Perry's a little too strong on that front as well for my taste.

dirkterrell
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
How about we realize how poorly extremism has worked as a form of government around the world and throughout history and move to a more moderate stance. If you want to celebrate dogmatic-us-versus-them victories for what ever vicarious thrill it gives you, follow sports. At least then I don't need to live with the repercussions of your victory.

:applause:

When we collectively see government in its proper role as an enforcer of rights, rather than an enforcer of morality (as both sides do now), then we will finally have the government on the right track.

modette99
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Who is voting for Obama!!!
http://youtu.be/-McpNtHet3w

brennahm
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
government in its proper role as an enforcer of rights, rather than an enforcer of morality

That's a VERY nice way of putting it.